Unattended Install Error

found the cause but now HOW to avoid this during my unattended??

Where are the wizards?

Error Writing Encrypted Data" Error During IIS 5.0 Installation

Van toepassing op

This article was previously published under Q282775

SYMPTOMS

During the installation or re-installation of Internet Information Services (IIS) 5.0, you may receive the following error message:

"Error Writing Encrypted Data to the Web Services Configuration Database."

The installation halts, and you are prompted to Retry, Write unencrypted, or Write unencrypted all.

CAUSE

This error occurs because of incorrect (corrupt) information. If this is a new installation of IIS 5.0, the corrupt information is located in the following folder:

%Windir%\Documents and Settings\

If you are re-installing IIS, the corrupt information is located in the following folder:

%Windir%\Profiles\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys

RESOLUTION

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:

If you are still prompted to retry, delete all keys except the key that corresponds to the start of the latest installation from the MachineKeys folder. This key has a date/time stamp that corresponds to the time that you started your last installation.

-or-

If the installation is cancelled or did not complete successfully, use Windows Explorer to remove encryption from the %Windir%\Profiles\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys folder. To this, follow these steps:

Right-click the folder, and then click Properties.

On the General tab, click Advanced.

Clear the Encrypt contents to secure data check box, and then click OK. If this check box is NOT already selected, rename the MachineKeys folder to "OldMachineKeys".

Log off, and then log back on as Local Administrator. The installation or reinstallation of IIS 5.0 should complete successfully.

this may have something to do with %Windir%\Documents and Settings\

as that stage of setup usually can't find that folder, and tries to access it as C:\Documents\ instead (probably to do with the spaces). It happened with a wmp8 update that wanted to access Documents and Settings too.

Thanks Aronxp for the suggestion and i look further into it.

It could indeed be some permissions problem or a “can’t find windir’ thing.

Lucky the weekend is ahead so I have plenty of time to do so.

I mainly test and assemble unattended cd’s the way DaveXP and GreenMachine have created their scripts just to see witch one is suitable for me.

Hopefully I can share my experience here with the forum members later.

Honestly I think it has to do with the re-cabbing stuff from the great script GreenMachine provide us.

I did not hade problems when I use DaveXP way of compiling and I use the same components, hotfixes and SPacks in that one.

Greenmachine,

I know your machine takes a long time to compile your CD but could you tell me if you hade installed the IIS6 components yet and if not could you give it a test?

Or maybe someone else would do this for me.

Greets to all and a nice weekend

W

@visaversa: PM me your WINNT.SIF, and any other files you add when using the XP Creator script (less the hotfixes and service pack), and I will see if I reproduce it on my machine. I doubt it has to do with the repackaging itself, but perhaps the contents of a cab. Also, if you can print out a complete directory listing BEFORE running the script, that may help. (DIR /S > LOGFILE.TXT). If this is too much to mail, you can put it on a server someplace and sent me a link.

Perhaps someone knows what is happening at T-25 during setup. Anyone?

GreenMachine,

Glad you like to help.

It takes some time to create the requested and first thing tomorrow morning I start to get things together and place it somewhere on a server.

Still @work now.

Of course I meant the contents of a cab.

In general I use what is available here on site, never/nor did I repacked yet myself so it a straightforward unattended. Just svpacks, sp1, msn6, mdac, ect…

Tonight am gone try a second and third time with diff setups ( one without the iis components) so we have a full report.

Thx again…

W

OK, I'll see tomorrow. If you are experimenting tonight, you could make these two modifications:

ECHO Expand the CABS into working directories

becomes:

ECHO Expand the CABS into working directories
GOTO SKIPCABS

and

REM If there were any uncompreesed versions of these files, update them as well.

becomes

REM If there were any uncompressed versions of these files, update them as well.
:SKIPCABS

This will NOT create the cabs. That should not matter, as the files un-modified files will come from the cab, and all the service packs are sill run to update the current versions. If this works, and the exact same this with out the modified code causes the error ... bingo: it's the cabs. I'll be around later, so please post any preliminary result, and thanks for YOUR help.

GreenMachine,

It changes the speed abnormally fast now? Buy that’s normal I guess.

Anyway I run the modified script and it showed me this error again so I can conclude now that it has nothing to do with erroneous cab files or their content…

I use the same files (svpaks and hotfixes and zero switch files) over and over again to have a consequent test.

Original winnt.sif

Back for another test run, this time I left out

[systemFileProtection]

SFCQuota=0

SFCDisable=ffffff9d

from the winnt.siffile.

Duno why I put it in the first place, just copy paste from somewhere…

Comment:

Same story, same error next to step tree…

Another run without the iis components.

winnt.sif

But by mistake I ran the original script again, let it go…we wil see…

Hey wait, this is a good test see if re-cab things does and with no components selected create the errors…

or not...

Result..................................................i did tree runs...

OK, have to stop for today, as somebody said here one day 'i have a life outside this room' i have my girlfriend waiting and friends for a night of.

Continue tommorow to sort out he iis6 thing i am shure it has something to do with it...or not

Have fun guy's see ya al tommorow.

W

Files:

type0

type1

type2

logfile.txt

Take care more then 100Mb to download

Started to upload 150 Mb NOW at 10kb so be patient to downlod things, from now on it could take maybe 1.20 minutes...so don't start to download yet PLEASE...Wait...wait...

switchless no nonsens installable files from DaveXP's FTP site bundled +40Mb

attention; there where not included in my test

MDAC

MSN6

JVIEWER

DIRECTX9

DOTNET

Look @MSFN for comment

Only available for a limited time....

@viseversa: Sorry to make you do all that work: I only really wanted any files of your own that you added, like *.reg or *.cmd...

I looked over your directory listing and see a few problems. You are German, na? Did they stop the phrase "Deutsche Reinheit und Ordentlichkeit"? You have much too much junk in there. You have both MDAC 2.8 and MDAC 2.7 update, Journal Viewer run twice. If you are willing to help me, what I would like to do is this: Have you re-run the (latest) script with only the files listed on THIS page, and your WINNT.SIF. Send me your WINNT.SIF, and I will try exactly the same.

You have to be a little carefull of which files are present, as I will just loop through a directory and run them all. Download THIS version, run the MAKEDIRS.CMD file, add your WINNT.SIF (overwrite the existing one), add the fixes listed on THIS page. Also, you CANNOT rerun this script: I do not have a version of DOSNET.INF included, instead I modify the existing version, by adding lines to the end. If this is done a second time, unpredictable results WILL occour.

On the other hand, you expressed concern that you needed to delete files before running, to assure "starting clean". I leave all the temp files for inspection, but delete them all as the first step in creation.

For your troubles, I did include your requests, and I will PM you with a custom (non-supported) menu. Also, some of the directory names have changed, and some have been added, so please take the time to re-read the documentation HERE. With this release, there are only 3 files that are not readily downloadable from the web: DirectX OPK, WMP9 & MM2, and a repackaged MDAC, and I believe you have those already. Please give it a go, and post your results.

On another note, my PC is scheduled to self destruct in an hour - my 180 MS trial of Windows 2003 has come to an end. I will have either a little down time, or have to convert (eiiiiks) to my XP box...