Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

Nicely put! Have you noticed any computer service degradation at places that you shop? Like: "The computer is slow today." or "Wait, we needed to reboot the PC." or "The PC won't start." When I hear these comments, my first thought is that the computer system was updated to Win 10. US politics are sort of like W10 these days. Many people are voting for Win 7, replace the Win 10's, as a result of the situation to get back to some stable politics (An analogy). Bud
  3. Thanks Nutrynion, please keep me posted on your progress. -DW
  4. [Release] ManyCam 2.1

ManyCam is the best webcam software and a video switcher. It allows you to develop your video chats and create wonderful live streams on different platforms at the same time.
  5. Today
  6. There is an addition for YouTube "Byffox YouTube Downloads", works only with the old interface of YouTube. The processor can be without support of SSE2 (AthlonXP). Video can be played in any player capable reproduction of a stream (MPC-HC or another). It is necessary to select and transfer the left mouse button in a player window image The player not hidden - MPC-HC : "View" --- "On top" --- "Always"
  7. @roytam1 Could you please share your source code for a portable launcher? Also, seems like last version (2017-11-21) of New Moon doesn't like it for some reason, e.g. bookmark tab disappears after start. But the same version with PortableApps launcher isn't affected.
  8. @dencorso You might still be in to something with NT 5.x. I assume that New Moon still is compatible with Server 2003 R2 since it shares code with XP. Of course there's no guarantee New Moon works with vanilla Server 2003. Perhaps New Moon XP/03? Pronounced "XP-oh-three"? Or, "XP-oh-three-are-2"? It kind of rolls off the tongue.
  9. OK. Then I second your proposal of: "New Moon XP"
  10. Disassembling A Compaq Presario 1065 Laptop

As long as it is not past the comfort zone of the plastic part at hand, that is fine jaclaz
  11. Disassembling A Compaq Presario 1065 Laptop

Okay, Thank you both. I have successfully replaced the drive. I didn't have to remove the screen, just bend part of the plastic frame a bit past my comfort zone.
  12. Here are older drivers than 6.2 https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=45116
  13. I've reverted back to just 512MB of physical RAM and I'm still unable to run D3D games. I've removed all other patches tweaks etc. The only drivers I can find for Win98 are Catalyst 6.2.
  14. WinXP SP3 takes VERY LONG checking for updates

KB321644 you're right, it was a previous misprint and as i said I've spoken only for Office 07
  15. Use HIMEMX.EXE from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/himemx/ Put the EXE in the Windows folder and type this at the beginning of the CONFIG.SYS file: DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEMX.EXE \MAX=1048576 (or 524288 if you still have problems) Also use the Vcache patch from here: Remove any MaxPhysPage and everything from the [vcache] section (MaxFileCache etc.) from the SYSTEM.INI. Tell us if this fixes stuff. Also try using ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1 and DMABufferSize=64 in the [386enh] section. Also try older graphic drivers.
  16. Disassembling A Compaq Presario 1065 Laptop

Well I'll try again, it seems that even with the screws under the caps off (even the hinge screws) nothing (including the screen) wants to lift off. Although looking at the pictures of the parts might help.
  17. WinXP SP3 takes VERY LONG checking for updates

KB3213644 was unnecessary to solve "endless search". You may check it by uninstalling it and do search again. KB4011199 replace 29 previous updates, and KB4011266 replace 36, so another another confirmation of my theory. But my installation of Office 2003 SP3 + Office compatibility pack SP3 don't request these updates from MU.
  18. WinXP SP3 takes VERY LONG checking for updates

Not everyone has resolved WU/MU issue with same amount of time, despite using similar unblocking procedure: i think a lot has written but there's something still missing on the table and should be further investigated about the relation beetween Posready updates and Office updates, as sometimes if you don't unblock both (IE8 cumulative+SP3comptability_pack&office2007 KB_current month related) it doesn't work individually. I underline this is only my opinion based and what has worked for me, absolutely not presuming is valid for everyone. I used this little modified Destro steps, tailored on November '17: 1. Install clean Office with clean SP3. 2. Run windows update and only install the office 2007 updates or do it manually if u have a list. 3. install Fileformatconverters.exe "Office 2007 compatibility Pack" 4. Run windows update and install the updates for just the compatibility pack. 5. Install Office 2007 compatibility pack SP3. 6. Download KB4011205, KB4011265 for compatibility pack SP3 and KB4011199 + KB4011266 (for Excel Word 2007) . 7. Manually apply the 4 patches in step 6 8. Windows update works now. Until i've install the Office 2007 update-unlocks (KB4011199 and KB4011266) i can't get over svchost 50% + no updates avaible on a clean XP_SP3_Office2007+POS registry.
  19. Sorry that was a typo! I've tried 20000 (and 30000 and 40000) if I set MaxPhysPage and I'm using the onboard GPU, or SBLive the windows pagefile gets disabled. I wish there was an error logged somewhere then at least I'd know why it was being disabled. Since my last post I have tried RLoew's patch and this works, however the first 2 games I tried, Colin McRae 2 and UT99 (both D3D), crashed instantly with exceptions relating to D3D. I'm running DX9c. It's a 128MB 9600SE
  20. All user32/uxtheme function can be stubbed out. You already know how to fix dwmapi codes. Avrt don't make sense to me I hope it can be stubbed. inet_ntop & inet_pton implementation from xompie are good one. CoGetApartmentType can be replaced with a XP function which I forgotten. K32 function can redirected to psapi by removing word k32 from beginning. Preferred UI languages can be stubbed with out any issue. LCIDToLocaleName Can be stubbed. For other API one core API has implementation. https://github.com/Skulltrail192/One-Core-Api Just some little concern from my poor knowledge.
  21. Disassembling A Compaq Presario 1065 Laptop

Removing the screen is NOT needed for the CD swap. Anyway the hinges (and screws) are inside plastic caps, see this photo, the right side has the cap off. Use this page (spares for this model) to have a visual reference to the parts: https://store.emprgroup.co.nz/HPc-46816-6-compaq-presario-notebook-pc-1065-us-282730-005.aspx jaclaz
  22. WinNTSetup v3.8.8.3

Tu quoque ... jaclaz Seriously, as long as an "old" version working with XP remains available that would be just fine , after all it is not like new, strange ways were added (for XP) in the last several releases,
  23. Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

I have said this before and repeat it now.... Trying to get over this information about why one shouldn't buy Windows 10 is not the easiest task.. I explain to my customers that this OS is crap, it has been basically designed to spy on us and for each release Microsoft are boasting about improvements but things just do not work... It is almost impossible to explain that if you have upgraded your computer from Windows 7, 8.0 and 8.1 the chances are your manufacturer doesn't support Windows 10 and that they would not want to pay the cost of me trying to fix things in Windows 10 when all manufacturers categorically say if you experience problems...reset your computer.... We are all aware of the fact that even purpose built computers for Windows 10 are experiencing problems with the crappy updates..."Crator's Edition" my arse! The couldn't create a p***** in a brewery.... The other thing is even though they say that Windows 10 is here to stay...Windows 10 isn't today what Windows 10 was when it was released and even that is creating enormous problems for manufacturers... I still have Windows 7 with updates turned off and check the new updates from time to time to see if anything can be installed.... There is no way we will ever get these tossers to except that what they are producing is crap until the general public and huge companies say enough is enough... Just had a customer tell me that here email provider is going over to Office 365 exchange because it is better and more reliable...what a load of horse manure...!!!! bookie32
  24. BSOD x00000007b during install

There should be a working Windows 7 driver. I see a few reports of successfully installing Windows 7 on Acer ES1-131. UPD: Russian Acer-related forum users suggest to switch off UEFI boot (set a supervisor password, then SecureBoot -> Disable, then BootMode -> Legacy) and convert drive to MBR before installing Windows 7 on it.
  25. BSOD x00000007b during install

I discovered that the same problem is while installing Windows 7, the installer needs hdd drivers.
  26. Off Topic: For getting idea how Firefox 57 is incompatible with older Windows, I tried to compile it from source. There is a list of Missing APIs in XP (* in front of DLL = missing DLL) In MOZGLUE.DLL: KERNEL32.DLL InitializeConditionVariable WakeConditionVariable WakeAllConditionVariable SleepConditionVariableCS InitializeCriticalSectionEx GetTickCount64 In XUL.DLL: KERNEL32.DLL SleepConditionVariableSRW WakeConditionVariable InitializeConditionVariable SleepConditionVariableCS WakeAllConditionVariable K32QueryWorkingSet K32GetProcessMemoryInfo GetCurrencyFormatEx GetNumberFormatEx ResolveLocaleName GetDateFormatEx GetTimeFormatEx GetUserDefaultLocaleName LocaleNameToLCID GetLocaleInfoEx GetUserPreferredUILanguages LCIDToLocaleName InitializeCriticalSectionEx AcquireSRWLockShared AcquireSRWLockExclusive ReleaseSRWLockShared ReleaseSRWLockExclusive InitializeSRWLock TryAcquireSRWLockExclusive K32EnumProcessModules K32GetModuleFileNameExW K32GetProcessImageFileNameW GetFinalPathNameByHandleW InitOnceExecuteOnce GetProcessIdOfThread QueryFullProcessImageNameW K32GetModuleInformation USER32.DLL GetTouchInputInfo RegisterTouchWindow GetGestureInfo CloseGestureInfoHandle SetGestureConfig UnregisterPowerSettingNotification RegisterPowerSettingNotification CloseTouchInputHandle ADVAPI32.DLL RegGetValueW SHELL32.DLL SHGetKnownFolderPath SHOpenWithDialog SHQueryUserNotificationState SHGetPropertyStoreForWindow SetCurrentProcessExplicitAppUserModelID SHCreateItemFromParsingName SHGetStockIconInfo *AVRT.DLL AvRevertMmThreadCharacteristics AvSetMmThreadCharacteristicsA OLE32.DLL CoGetApartmentType WS2_32.DLL inet_pton inet_ntop *DWMAPI.DLL DwmSetIconicThumbnail DwmSetIconicLivePreviewBitmap DwmInvalidateIconicBitmaps DwmGetCompositionTimingInfo DwmIsCompositionEnabled DwmFlush DwmSetWindowAttribute DwmDefWindowProc DwmExtendFrameIntoClientArea DwmGetWindowAttribute UXTHEME.DLL BeginPanningFeedback EndPanningFeedback UpdatePanningFeedback *API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-L1-1-0.DLL RoGetActivationFactory *API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-STRING-L1-1-0.DLL WindowsCreateStringReference And for example, grepping K32GetModuleInformation in source tree shows: Roy@roy-srv /d/test/firefox-57.0 $ grep -r K32GetModuleInformation * Binary file obj-i686-pc-mingw32/dist/bin/xul.dll matches Binary file obj-i686-pc-mingw32/toolkit/library/i686-pc-windows-msvc/release/deps/libkernel32-84f4ad81dbbcb414.rlib matches Binary file obj-i686-pc-mingw32/toolkit/library/release/deps/libkernel32-7fb45f562450be31.rlib matches Binary file obj-i686-pc-mingw32/toolkit/library/xul.dll matches Binary file obj-i686-pc-mingw32/toolkit/library/xul.pdb matches Binary file obj-i686-pc-mingw32/tools/profiler/generated.pdb matches Binary file obj-i686-pc-mingw32/tools/profiler/shared-libraries-win32.obj matches third_party/rust/kernel32-sys/src/lib.rs: pub fn K32GetModuleInformation( third_party/rust/kernel32-sys-0.1.4/src/lib.rs: pub fn K32GetModuleInformation( So I have no clue how to deal with it.
  27. WinNTSetup v3.8.8.3

XP support is hard to maintain and so it get's often broken. I soon will remove it completely.
  1. Load more activity