Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. You need a working patcher that allows usage of unsigned themes. There's no ideal solution, but if you are careful and switch to default theme with every major update, UltraUXThemePatcher works the best. Though any update could replace one of the theming DLLs with unpatched one, so Windows will likely BSOD when trying to load unsigned theme if you forget to switch back. There are also UxTSB DLLs by BigMuscle in the other thread somewhere in this forum section, but the only way to use them is either by letting Aero Glass inject it at logon, which doesn't work reliably, or use AppInitDLLs method, which doesn't work on computers with secure boot. And even then, not everything works 100% properly, eg. you can't switch to a theme by double-clicking .theme file in Explorer.
  3. I've been trying to find a replacement theme but haven't found anything that works yet. When I install the themes and go into the theme settings screen all the themes look the same. When I apply them all that changes is the colour scheme, the rest of it stays as the windows 10 default theme. I think something may be broken in the theme picker.
  4. DirectPlay 9.0c & Intel PRO/1000 GT on 98SE

Thanks for the kind offer! Testing would depend on getting some more info from deomsh's testing. Sounds like good testing! What was the original flavor of Windows and DX that the test was failing on? What was the fresh install you tested on, pure MS Win98SE or some other flavor? Thank you, DJ
  5. DISM needed (x64)

wow thanks for sharing that
  6. In any case, take such software from Steve Gibson with more than one grain of salt... he's been involved in too many controversies to be trusted blindly.
  7. Today
  8. On the subject of Meltdown and Specter, according to this test, an Intel P4 is affected. Unfortunately, it is the problem that Intel still AMD published a more detailed list of affected CPU's. A patch for Windows can unfortunately mitigate this problem, even if the BIOS / UEFI the microcode was patched, the real problem remains. Only a new CPU helps where the architecture no longer allows these forms of attacks.
  9. DirectPlay 9.0c & Intel PRO/1000 GT on 98SE

I use Realtek NDIS2-driver for my NIC. Lately I had to run some tests with DxDiag. Just for fun I run DirectPlay test - negative! Was not a problem for me, I never use DirectPlay, so I postponed the problem. Your problem interested me. I renamed my Windows-directory and tested on a fresh one with DirectX 6.1. DxDiag gave no error. I installed DirectX 7.0, 9.0b and 9.0c - check, check, check. The TCP/IP-console opened always. For the moment thats enough for me.
  10. WinNTSetup v3.8.8.3

Any plan on going open-source?
  11. I guess my question here is, are you planning on using the netbook for actual internet browsing or other offline activities? As much as I love 9x, especially Windows 98, using it on the internet is still quite difficult even though we have a few members working hard at trying to get a more functional browser for the operating system. If you're going to do any sort of internet activities on there, I'd recommend Windows 2000 instead for the time being because it would be fully compatible (as long as compatible drivers can be found, which shouldn't be a problem due to it originally using Windows XP) but combined with unofficial updates, you could still use the 52.4.0 esr version of Firefox. Now, if it's just a play computer that you just want to mess around with and don't care what it does, Windows 98 would be perfectly fine to install. How much RAM does it currently have? It seems it comes stock with 1GB which won't trigger the stop screen during bootup (to my knowledge and experience) but if you have more than that, you'll either have to remove some RAM or use RLoew's RAM patch. Windows Me, I believe, can use a little more without modifications but I cannot verify that from my brain alone. Another difference between 98 and Me is that Me handles newer hard disk configurations better. For example, I have a Gigabyte motherboard that I installed Windows 98 on and even though it says it's IDE, has an IDE port, and even IDE mode, I still needed RLoew's SATA patch in order to get it running correctly. Otherwise unless I operated the OS in disk compatibility mode (by disabling all 32-bit drivers via system properties), it would lock up on me during boot. This was the case for an ASRock motherboard which I don't believe I ever got working since it predated me buying the patch and using it, but Windows Me worked just fine without any special modifications. So honestly, depending on your experience, I would go with Me first and see how that works out and then if you're feeling bold or have the hang of it, try 98!
  12. Thanks! This confirms that the XP updates resolved neither Spectre or Meltdown for me. And both my Win 10 machines are susceptible to Spectre.
  13. Windows 10 TTK Tweak Toolkit

the main modern components of windows 10 seem to come under WindowsRuntime and i think it's connected to the now discontinued WindowsRT OS as the RT in that stands for runtime and there are dll system32 on windows 10 with RT in the descriptions. Windows 10 S replaced WinRT, the runtime seems to be one a core components of windows 10 as it's linked to many things. i'm now doing removals of runtime components, so far i've removed store, payments, point of service, wallet, cortana, accounts control, biometrics, cloudexphost, holographic 5000+ reg entries removed and OS is still functional, taskbar / start menu and settings app are all working fine. i'm only removing the modern core stuff, not touching anything else. completely killed the lock screen, doesn't throw up any error or cause the normal lock screen to freeze or not function, instead of the the modern lock screen appearing the standard one just appears like on previous windows versions. these removals might be useful for creating a light windows 10 iso and will be much safer than ntlite.
  14. The problem is related to FCU build of Windows 10. They changed something in default theme so the whatever element Firefox uses for menus is no longer marked to have transparency. You need a replacement theme, overriding atlas image alone is not sufficient.
  15. How can one Disable Indexing

Are you using Nlite with Windows 10? http://www.nliteos.com/ Maybe you are using NTlite https://www.ntlite.com/ AFAICR there is a provision to remove the indexing service, I seem to remember some changes were made to have it split from Search, but that won't affect you. In any case, provided you are actually using NTlite, there is a specific support forum here: https://www.ntlite.com/forum/ jaclaz P.S.: I had this deja-vu feeling ... :
  16. Lot of people though cannot say on so-recent models, examples: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/125486-which-netbook-can-work-with-windows-98-properly/ http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/122401-asus-eee-pc-and-windows-9x/ The issues - generally speaking - are with drivers, the ICH7 and 945 chipset are still within the known to be working hardware, but with no "manufacturer drivers" see: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/107001-compatible-hardware-with-windows-9x/ the display, and a few other peripherals including USB ports may be tough to be made working fully, as well as the SATA, you will need most probably Uniata and a number of the patches by RLoew. jaclaz
  17. Just for an experiment I want to try installing Win98SE or ME, on a Compaq Mini CQ10-101SA - which runs on a Intel ICH7M/MDH and 945 chipset I believe. I'm not sure this is possible, has anyone tried installing a 9x OS on a netbook?
  18. Thanks for the replys everyone. I forgot to mention that i'm using Firefox 56 and not Quantum, I guess i'll just have to live with it. The strange thing is i'm sure that when I first started using Aero Glass about 18 months ago I didn't have the full glass effect on Firefox then one day after a windows update and the symbols files downloading that it suddenly had the glass effect.
  19. DISM needed (x64)

The DISM in the ADK is slightly different than the one that comes with the OS. I have never tried to use the ADK DISM in-place of the OS one, but I know the ADK DISM supports additional switches. DISM has dependencies, When I run multiple DISM versions, I put it into a folder. To save my time to determine what files are needed, I use the entire folder that contains DISM. For example: c:\program files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\DISM and then take that DISM folder and call it something to know what it is, such as DISM10, and then you can put that folder anywhere. BUT be very careful about using DISM this way because you can screw things up! Using a DISM version like this means you need to fully qualify your paths to it and you don't want to run a different DISM by accident. For example, if you mount an image using the Win10 DISM and then unmount with the OS DISM, you will then have yourself a corrupted mount point and a memory leak. The incorrect DISM used will continuously allocate memory until there is none left, which should crash your computer. So I recommend if you are going to use multiple DISMs on one system that you build .cmds to handle them so you don't mistype and run the wrong one.
  20. What classified a Newbie ?

The forum says you joined 01/15/2018. If you had posted on the forum before, post a link to a post so we can investigate.
  21. POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

New Test: https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm
  22. Silent Install StartIsBack++ v2.5.2

Hi, How do I Install Silent StartIsBack++ 2.5.2 ..?? Regards, Thank you so much..!!
  23. DirectPlay 9.0c & Intel PRO/1000 GT on 98SE

Shall i test before you buy? How?
  24. OK, but I'm a bit confused, do you have any issues with this tool? All I read is that you saw a few people reporting other problems with their scripts so you didn't even try yours. Or if you did try, then please let me know how to confirm if that script worked or not. In my reply above is how to integrate it. Thanks.
  25. POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

NTFS is a bad choice for the media with low write cycles like USB flash sticks or SD cards, because journaling means extra writes. ExFat is better for them.
  26. It is Firefox bug that it does not accept system settings but always tries to imitate Win10 UWP appearance. You can tweak this behaviour by userChrome.css file, but the result will never be 100% correct. Example can be found here: https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx
  1. Load more activity