Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. [SOLVED (AS IS)] Windows 95 issues with GRUB4DOS

Thank you so much for the compliment! I'm glad that things are working out as it is. As for attempting to abuse GRUB4DOS, I must of added the setactive or makeactive parameters which might have triggered the data corruption on the first hard disk where MS-DOS 6.22 resides and I apologise for messing up. Better safe than sorry - always backup incase something goes wrong. The latest GRUB4DOS version that I'm using right now is version 0.4.6a 2017-08-30. The only problem now is that the Windows 95 Device Manager has a yellow exclamation mark next to the floppy and hard disk controllers since I'm only allowing Windows 95 to use real mode disk access.
  3. Simple XP 32BIT 64Gb RAM (true Pae) Guide

Update packs integrator, i think. I can't remember if you need to extract.
  4. [SOLVED (AS IS)] Windows 95 issues with GRUB4DOS

Well, since my crystal ball is again in the shop for tuning, I did my best by interpreting the flight of the birds... although the only birds visible from where I am right now are a bunch of vultures, which usually are not very reliable, as you know.
  5. USB cam software

BUMP! (#1) jaclaz
  6. Hi everyone, Very shortly, an expression of my amazement for the work a lot of you guys have done with XP and this forum, Kudos for that. But the reason for me arriving on this forum, is a little irritation with one of my older laptops and the hope some of you smart guys knows a solution for. I believe this is the right topic to be in but if not, please send me in the right direction. The situation: Old Acer with a turion single core 2GHz 2GB RAM running XPhome, with register tweak to get the POS2009 updates. However... the updates got stuck, it is a very common problem but all solutions I found on the internet did not work. (svchost.exe running 100% on the tread to wuaueng.dll and not recovering, at least not yet after about 24 hours). I use Process Explorer to get the right thread. I observed this happening just after a substantial read of data like f.e. 35MB from disk. (before any read bytes from disk I/O it behaves normal). The reason this came to be (I think) is because I did not use the laptop since February when it updated the pos2009 updates still without problem. A few days ago I thought of getting the latest updates and since they did not come by themselves (automatic update was switched on though) I decided to use the MSwebsite to speed things up (yeah stupid thing to do). I have tried everything by now, that I could think of like all regular solutions with update to prevent this from happening again, I emptied the folder Prefetch and softwaredistributions, I downloaded all the (POS) updates from February till now manually and installed them one by one (so the system should be up to date). I downloaded the latest updater mentioned earlier here etc... But... every time when I switch on the automatic updates, after a while (this takes longer if I empty the folder "softwaredistributions" first) svchost.exe is stuck at 100% and the laptop is useless. (a lot of memory taken in the process as well, seems to get stuck at 225MB in use by svchost.exe and 200 by wuauclt.exe) By this time the folder softwaredistributions is again about 200MB big. It also does not matter what update system I use (first download and then ask or only notify me of updates or immediately installing). Of course the easy solution is just to switch automatic updates off and download them every month manually from the catalog, but that is not a fix, that is a bandage you have to replace every month. All my other XP-pro (POS2009) machines are working and updating without problems. So I am a bit lost here. Anyone a suggestion? edit typo
  7. [SOLVED (AS IS)] Windows 95 issues with GRUB4DOS

Yep , but without knowing the actual setup it is hard to say, it is also possible that *somehow* there is a "mixed boot", with *some other* io.sys loaded, however the normal search order for grub4dos is; (hd0,0) (hd0,1) (hd0,2) ... (hd1,0) (hd1,1) ... but grub4dos (I believe it depends on versions) can also look on hidden volumes, so it has to be seen what really happens. I inserted the: root command in the suggested commands (chich is otherwise unneeded and to be removed when inserting in a menu.lst) exactly to verify that the "right" root is found, but of course that was implying that some feedback would have been provided. jaclaz
  8. Today
  9. List of Web Browsers Working with XP 2017

For the upcoming Firefox ESR 52.4.0 release, I do not see a United States version (en-US), but the Great Britain (en-GB) version is working flawlessly on XP. This is a ZIP file which is nice because it does not impact the Firefox currently installed on your system. https://download-origin.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla-esr52-l10n/ (direct link: https://download-origin.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla-esr52-l10n/firefox-52.4.0.en-GB.win32.zip) According to the Mozilla Wiki, this version is due for official release next Thursday, September 28: https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar
  10. [SOLVED (AS IS)] Windows 95 issues with GRUB4DOS

Or there is more than one unhidden partition having an io.sys... Then, instead of "find --set-root /io.sys", "root (hd0,0)" at the same point should work.
  11. [SOLVED (AS IS)] Windows 95 issues with GRUB4DOS

Whatever floats your boat is good But you cannot misuse the tool and post an overcomplex workaround (actually you can, of course). If you detail how EXACTLY your disks are setup, I can probably help you, but you must not misrepresent what you did. Let's see together the set of commands (to be issued on command line) I posted. I assumed that the IO.SYS that you want to boot (and the corresponding Windows 95) bothe reside on (hd2,0). map (hd0) (hd2) map (hd2) (hd0) map --hook At this point (hd0) is (hd2) and (hd2) is (hd0). find --set-root /io.sys this will find the first io.sys it can find and set root to that disk partition. If the io.sys is on (hd2,0) (which is now (hd0,0), the following: root will output (hd0,0), so you have the "right" root. At this point you have two (actually three) possible way to boot the Windows 95 (DOS 7.x): 1) chainloader +1 (this will chainload the bootsector of the current root partition) 2) chainloader /io.sys (this will chainload the io.sys directly, bypassing the bootsector) 3) chainloader (hd0)+1 (this will chainload the MBR of the disk, if there is normal boot code in it, and if the first partition on that disk is active, it will chainload the bootsector, like #1 above). It is possible (and it may depend on the exact grub4dos version you are using) that the one or the other doesn't work, however. jaclaz
  12. Simple XP 32BIT 64Gb RAM (true Pae) Guide

Okay, Which option should i select in Task Selection? And do i need to extract the file?
  13. @heinoganda I am thinking there must be a way to make it work. Chrome 61 32-bit is compatible with Windows 7 32-bit, which is the reason I chose that version. Windows 7, in my opinion, is not all THAT different from XP. There must be an API that can be changed, modified, or copied from Windows 7. Unfortunately, I am not a programmer, but maybe @Dibya or @~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ can make it work.
  14. [SOLVED (AS IS)] Windows 95 issues with GRUB4DOS

I tried using your suggestion and when attempting to boot Windows 95 from the third hard disk threw a blinking cursor. Since Windows 95 is located on the third drive, the root (hd2,0) parameter has to be added before mapping the (hd2) as (hd0) or it won't work at all. Speaking of Windows 95, I solved my problem by loading the COMMAND.COM interpreter first and then load 4DOS permanently to prevent a missing or corrupt COMMAND.COM interpreter in the CONFIG.SYS file: SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM /C C:\4DOS\4DOS.COM C:\4DOS /P When I'm done with Windows 95, I can go back to MS-DOS on the first hard disk by unhiding (hd0), hiding (hd1) and (hd2) and jump to OS/2 by hiding (hd0), unhiding (hd1) and hiding (hd2).
  15. [SOLVED (AS IS)] Windows 95 issues with GRUB4DOS

Sure, if you just added the map --hook command in that menu.lst, you tried booting from the "wrong disk", you set root BEFORE exchanging disks. Moreover you first experiment in command line, and then you put it in a menu.lst entry, like: map (hd0) (hd2) map (hd2) (hd0) map --hook find --set-root /io.sys root chainloader /io.sys boot The above is not "booting from third disk" (which is AFAIK impossible, as DOS wants to be on first disk, actually on first active partition of first disk, or however whatever gets drive letter C:\, not negotiable), it is booting from third disk remapped to first disk. What you are probably doing (and that is philosophically "wrong") is to hide all partitions on first and second disk so that the first partition on third disk becomes C:\. But without knowing how the disks are partitioned/setup it is hard to say. jaclaz
  16. [SOLVED (AS IS)] Windows 95 issues with GRUB4DOS

Adding the map --hook parameter actually threw a "Non system disk or disk or disk error" message. Pressing the ENTER booted the OS from the third hard disk image as usual. If I remove the --map hook parameter, Windows 95 without any problems. Look here: What I did was to enter the "System Configuration Utility" (msconfig), click Advanced and select "Force Compatibility mode disk access" which will force Windows 95 to use real mode disk access since it is in a dual boot environment with MS-DOS and OS/2. The result is that drive letters M, N, O and P are now gone! As far as I know trying to mess around with the GRUB4DOS MENU.LST settings corrupted as much as 209 MB of data on the MS-DOS 6.22 partition and had to reinstall DOS! That's one of the reasons why I had to back up data incase something goes wrong.
  17. List of Web Browsers Working with XP 2017

Anyway I built my own palemoon-27.4.2 with patches in #1 and replaced GetTickCount64() with dynamic loading NtQueryPerformanceCounter() like One-Core-Api does (with --disable-skia and bundled New Moon branding, nothing else changed) http://o.rthost.cf/gpc/files1.rt/palemoon-27.4.2-unofficial-xp.7z
  18. Lost Microsoft Edge

I was having problems with Microsoft Edge, in Windows 10, so I went into SETTINGS, APPS, EDGE, advanced and tried REPAIR. That did not work, so I tried RESET. Then I rebooted the computer. Now I can not find EDGE anywhere. It is gone. Internet Explorer and google Chrome still work, but I can't find EDGE anywhere. Kindly do not tell me to just use Chrome. I have been using Internet Explorer and Edge for many years, and plan to stay with Edge if I can. Any suggestions, thanks.
  19. I've installed Roboforms 7.9.22.2 and used the activation that came with it. The activator said it completed successfully. But, when I go to use it I get the activation screen and won't let me use the program. I tried using Universal Extractor and it comes up with errors. Please help.
  20. Windows 10 Regressions

Lack of error logging (actual regressions) is one thing I do not like about Windows 10. One example is the change in OOBE made it so half of that phase is not logged into the setupact.log in Panther or UnattendGC anymore, making it impossible to troubleshoot some first-time boot scenarios.
  21. Windows 10 Regressions

At this point I don't know the detail of what's sending it into these conditions, and it miffs me that I can find no log or error message that describes what went wrong. It may be there, but to be honest I've grown weary of trying to make Windows 10 work right (and by right I mean with the configuration and disabled parts I want). Every new version that comes out I decide I don't want it on my actual hardware, so I think for now I'll just ignore this and continue to run .520 or whatever it is stuck at for testing and whatnot. They have a few more years to make it attractive enough to adopt in place of my Win 8.1 setup, which still works quite well. -Noel
  22. Simple XP 32BIT 64Gb RAM (true Pae) Guide

Download this one - https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36597 Integrate it into your installation disc with nlite. see if it works for you.
  23. [SOLVED (AS IS)] Windows 95 issues with GRUB4DOS

As I tried telling you here: http://reboot.pro/topic/21586-installing-os2-on-a-second-hard-drive-with-grub4dos/ you are NOT exchanging disks if you do not hook the mapping. If you want it more bluntly, try using the grub4dos commands properly, before overcomplicating the matter. Dos/Windows 95 want to be booted form the First hard disk, just exchenge (properly) the disks drives. jaclaz
  24. Simple XP 32BIT 64Gb RAM (true Pae) Guide

Well, everyone has to start somewhere/sometimes , that (being new) seems not a particular issue. Which is good, and creates a nice, symmetrical situation, as I am also not an English guy. jaclaz
  25. Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

I totally agree...why there are members here that will give you a whole list of why XP needed to be replaced and the same goes for Vista and Windows 7 - but as Microsoft obviously doesn't listen to feedback from its users - then there is no chance that we will ever be happy with the new OS whatever it is called..... As a company, Microsoft has ignored the most important thing about development....look at the feedback from previous versions and build on that...of course, there are always those that just get on with it....they don't care what the current verision is.....as long as they can write an email go on facebook....what does it matter what happens behind the scenes.... I never thought that Windows 8 was a reflection of peoples ideas and ideas for improvements...just Microsoft being Microsoft and going their own way and **** the people that spend thousands on a pile of crap that just gets worse... BUT I will add that many of my customers that upgraded from Windows 8 or 8.1 have gone back to it and are much happier....;) It was said that MIcrosoft received so much stick about Windows 8 and the so called 8.1 update that they felt it necessary to come with a newer version..... Still get customers asking why wasn't there a Windows 9....;) Microsoft has ignored its users time and time and again....but aren't likely to start listening until something drastic happens like the games industry not trusting in Microsoft and giving Linux a chance...despite all the negative posts here about Linux...it has a community that help each other...improve things...etc....not that it is always good.... There is more development going on in the Linux world than there ever will be in the Microsoft one... It is about time that all that have supported Microsoft over the years ....leave and let it go to its grave....OR that Microsoft wake up and listen to its users..... Sorry, is that hell I see freezing over.....;) bookie32
  26. Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

Windows 10 is absolutely terrible at home and school. Many of our computer systems previously had 7 and once Vista, maybe XP as well. It's okay on the notebooks provided in classrooms but it's absolutely dreadful in Digital Arts: at least a few BSoD on someone every time. If it ain't broke, don't fix it >_< It's kinda funny (yet scary) how everyone believes the latest stuff is the best. My AP Computer Science class is ignorant of missing API's when it comes to viruses attempting to run on older versions of windows.
  27. Seaching for Intel 218V XP 32bit driver

I though I got it all, I'm not sure what I missed.
  1. Load more activity