Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. 4Kn Hard Drives

After 3 weeks of experimenting, I have come to the following conclusions about using 4Kn Drives with Windows: Boot Drives: Supported by newer UEFI BIOSes (2014 and later) using SATA connections only. Requires GPT Partitioning. Supported by Windows 8 x64 and Windows 10 x64. Windows 7 Installs but crashes. The Z87 CSM supports DOS 7.1 TBP in AHCI Mode only. Windows 98SE TBP is unstable and only completes boot in Safe Mode. Data Drives: Windows 7, 8 and 10 support 4Kn Drives using MBR, with SATA or USB connections, but incorrectly report the size of >2TiB Partitions. The Disk Managers will not Partition beyond 2TiB but can Format existing Partitions without limit. Windows XP only supports 4Kn Drives using USB connections only. XP correctly reports Partition size and can Partition beyond 2TiB. XP will ignore a SATA connected drive if it is not supported by the BIOS or an Overlay. Otherwise it will crash. XP with UNIATA will hang. Windows 2000 only supports 4Kn Drives using USB connections only. Windows 2000 correctly reports Partition size and can Partition and Format beyond 2TiB. Windows 2000 will crash if a SATA connected drive is present. DOS 7.1 TBP is compatible with SATA connected 4Kn Drives if the BIOS supports it or an Overlay DDO is used. Windows 98SE TBP is compatible with SATA connected 4Kn Drives if used with DOS 7.1 TBP and an Overlay DDO. Windows 98SE TBP is compatible with USB connected 4Kn Drives. USB Drives: Older USB Bridges that do not translate or do not support >2TiB Drives will not support 4Kn Drives. Translating USB Bridges support 4Kn Drives. Newer Non-Translating USB Bridges support 4Kn Drives DOS 7.1 TBP is DOS 7.1 Patched by the TeraByte Plus Package. Windows 98SE TBP is Windows 98SE Patched by the TeraByte Plus Package. Neither standard DOS nor standard Windows 98SE provide any support for 4K Logical Sector Devices.
  3. Today
  4. Printer Software for HP Deskjet

Yes jaclaz, I know it seems foolish to mention that all the moving components are really moving! I mentioned that because I thought one of you guys would ask, "is the printer dead?" Actually, that's probably a good question. After all, this brand new printer sat on a closet shelf for many years. The New Hardware Wizard appears seconds after the printer is powered up. It tries to install a native driver, but it doesn't work. There are countless USB driverpacks available for download. Using a few of these driverpacks, I upgraded all the USB drivers in my old 98SE system. Has anyone created printer driverpacks? It would be nice if I could download a big collection of printer drivers, and let the New Hardware Wizard scan the list. There are also command lines that will force install a driver. If I had drivers that were almost guaranteed to work, I would try a force install. That Neat Net Tricks posting is kind of discouraging. After reading all that info from experts, it doesn't seem very likely I'll ever get this HP Deskjet working with 98SE.
  5. Greetings

So I wasn't the only one to misread his username as spooky at first?
  6. Hi cc333, Thank you for your donation of $20.00. We look forward to improving the forums and stay online with your donation. Thanks MSFN
  7. I'm talking about the SSL modified version. 2.1 works just fine on my PC.
  8. What about adding the Virtual Desktop Manager? It is designed for WinXP, but maybe can work on Win2000 as well. go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=211482
  9. Firefox Quantum

Perhaps, but you also mention pages are slower to load instead of faster. I too experienced the speed improvements. A refresh can't hurt anything.
  10. Yesterday
  11. > > > third_party/rust/kernel32-sys/src/lib.rs: pub fn K32GetModuleInformation( > > Most of these new dependencies are likely in third party code, not the core code. Or they might be generated by newer compilers. > How to avoid such dependency? Rather than create an OS stub, modify the source to assume failure (or success) and remove the call. If an api is called multiple times, it might be easier to redefine it: #define IsUserWin10Fanboy() FALSE if (IsUserWin10Fanboy()) {...} Or remove the third-party module entirely.
  12. Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

I hate how W10 condescends to the user and it honestly feels like a bunch of HTML/JS hipster-built apps cobbled together on top of the NT 6 kernel with unfitting and seemingly random interfaces that demands an always-on connection to mine your data.
  13. List of Web Browsers Working with XP 2017

Last version for XP was released January 2017 - doubt it'll get many updates after that.
  14. Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

I need to learn how to read. -.-
  15. After long consultation about the opportunity to propose this workaround and having received positive feedback (thanks Schwups) about it, i report here the "fix" for the benefit of all interested users. Although my suggestion needs the block of a board element (a single CSS), this workaround is only beneficial to users and not detrimental to MSFN, in fact, the advertising box at the top of the page is not affected by it, even better, it back visible. All you need is add the following string into the list of the embedded block content of Opera: http://www.msfn.org/board/uploads/css_built_39/258adbb6e4f3e83cd3b355f84e3fa002_custom.css.10dc6ff2c45a645d7d18ddc234ce91e8* You can find this list opening the Opera preferences (CRTL+F12) -> advanced -> contents -> block content. After the application, close and reopen the browser. At least, the pages with the theme Shift default are totally readable now, and also the advertising box at the top of the page back visible.
  16. Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

Try going TWO posts above your original. Had you read those two posts, you'd have all the information and software you need, and wouldn't need to ask other people to distill it for you.
  17. Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

Very well said. There are many, many more issues but you covered most of them. If I get started, I'll run out of time to criticize this Windows 10 monstrosity. I can't believe how much this degenerate system has devolved from my beloved Windows XP Professional. It is out of control !!
  18. Searching for a few utilities

Topic is not about upgrading, it's about finding utilities for 9x!
  19. Searching for a few utilities

My IBM ThinkPad T40 is similar to the D600, it runs nLited XP SP3 rather well, just need to find the right browser that will be the fastest for JS and 240p YouTube. Firefox ESR is OK, but can get slow.
  20. Searching for a few utilities

My system is a Dell Latitude D600- even slow on an XP installation. My only other viable option is W2k (without bwc's kernelex).
  21. Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

Yes it is ridiculous, especially when using the other modes, it's very uncomfortable even on screens running 1366x768.
  22. BSOD x00000007b during install

Can you clarify: Which mass storage was included initially? Which mass storage did you add? Does another OS list this disk? Which disks list the BIOS? Can change the boot order? Can you boot a Windows 10 DVD or relating USB key? Press shift F10, diskpart.exe, list disk Wich disks are listed? PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_22A3&CC_0106 is SATA AHCI mode, not legacy mode.
  23. No MSFN forums with Opera Presto engine

I never really had a problem with it other than the fact the local mod system is bad. The extensibility is quite good too.
  24. Install Aero Glass Theme without Installer

How i kill Aero Glass? When i kill dwm.exe it opens again automatically. EDIT: Downlaoded the GUI from glass8.eu, now let's see if it works
  25. Firefox Quantum

I will be first to blame the video card on that computer. It does not support Aero Glass in Win7, so if the new browser is using some different rendering option then it would be my first guess.
  26. No MSFN forums with Opera Presto engine

SMF is a fine forum for a site just starting out. It is too-bareboned on its own and it is kind of a pain to deal with on the admin/mod side.
  27. Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

Its funny, I went into a co-workers office one day he has Windows 10 on his workstation with multiple monitors. He had calculator opened on one of them and it was comically large! It took like 3/4 of the screen! Even on the MS Store page, you can see how large it is in the example screenshots. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/windows-calculator/9wzdncrfhvn5 Now imagine how it looks, by default, on a 22" monitor!
  28. Greetings

1. Load more activity