Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I have seen a number of files that cannot be read. They use Encryption that Adobe Reader 6 does not support. The Intel Programming Manuals are one example.
  3. Last message about the difference between WinNTSetup apply and "manual" Imagex,exe 10.0.16299.15 (using unmodified/ unconverted UUP files). I have repeated all the tests, using PE versions from Windows 7 (3.1) upward. Tests were done on a spare laptop (Pentium dual core TT2370, 3gb, apply from external 2.0 usb hd to internal hd). Reboot between tests (no disk cache effect). For WinNTSetup (3.8.8.2b1), the timer is stopped as soon as the apply stage is done (when it starts applying tweaks). Pretty much all tests show WinNTSetup takes 7:00 minutes, manual apply with Imagex.exe takes 4:55 to 5:00 minutes. I'm not coplaining about WinNTSetup at all (will still use it), I just wonder where this time difference is coming from. And of course, I wonder why Microsoft is "hiding" this fast UUP-functionality in Imagex.exe ...
  4. Today
  5. Last Versions of Software for Windows 98SE

Neither I ever have, either...
  6. Old computer problem with Youtube + Firefox + WinXp

thanks for sharing!
  7. List of Web Browsers Working with XP 2017

SJ 10 was based on Chrome 50. Whats the difference between 50 and and 53.
  8. List of Web Browsers Working with XP 2017

> but once installed I get 0xc0000005 errors Those are memory Access Violations, maybe from null pointers. Try profiling slimjet.exe in Dependency Walker to see if any delay loads are failing.
  9. Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

More bugs! Read the warning on Visual Assist download page.
  10. Last Versions of Software for Windows 98SE

Are there PDF files that actually don't open in Adobe Reader 6? I've never seen one...
  11. Thanks for discovering this! I don't use XP x64, so this obvious-in-hindsight difference never occurred to me. I added this point to the guide.
  12. Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

I have an old hp-lapptop I run older w10 ver on (just swap hd-drives) The other day I put in a disk with 1607 on and right away it start to update to 1709 and I let it. After (took most part of the day) it was reedy (and wu had com to peas) Firefox felt it was it's time and did an upgrade to Quantum. BUT that did not go so well; the program did start (it show itself in start list) but nothing show in desk.... + all icons to the left on ff-icon show stuff related to FF until I killed FF... then they work as they suppose to do!
  13. FYI, since probably not everyone here frequents the Office section and this is not something automatically offered to those of us with Office 2000/XP/2003 with Office 2007 Compatibility Pack:
  14. A remote code execution vulnerability was patched this month in Equation Editor, an Office component (CVE-2017-11882 | Microsoft Office Memory Corruption Vulnerability, Description of the security update for 2007 Microsoft Office Suite: November 14, 2017). Official patches are available only for Office 2007 and higher, but since it's a standalone component that hasn't changed since the year 2000, and Microsoft has simply applied a binary patch to the executable and resigned it, you can also use this patch with Office 2000, XP and 2003. If you don't use Equation Editor, instead of updating it, you might want to remove it from your computer altogether. (Even if you don't have it installed right now, since it defaults to Installed on First Use, it's a good idea to explicitly deselect it in the Office installer.) Go to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs, locate your Office 2000/XP/2003 installer and choose the Change option, then pick Add or Remove Features when the installer launces. Find Equation Editor in the component tree. The exact location may differ depending on your Office version, in my case (Office XP) it was under Office Tools. To disable its installation, or remove it from your computer if already installed, mark it as Not Available and complete the update. You should no longer have an Equation folder under C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared (or the same path under wherever your Office lives). If you do use Equation Editor, you'll have to update it manually. (Trying to run the installer, it'll just tell you that you don't have an applicable product installed.) To do this, you'll be needing 7-zip (or a similarly versatile unpacker). Get the patch either as a CAB file from WU/Catalog (English/Chinese) or an EXE installer from the Download Center (English/Chinese). Right-click on the downloaded file and choose to open it with 7-zip. (EXE only: Select [0], right-click, Open Inside.) Select eqnedt32-en-us.msp, right-click, Open Inside. Select PATCH_CAB, right-click, Open Inside. Extract EQNEDT32.EXE_1033 to a location of your choice and remove the _1033 part from the file name, leaving you with EQNEDT32.EXE. Copy this file to your Equation Editor folder at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Equation (or the same path under wherever your Office lives), replacing the old EQNEDT32.EXE in there. (If you like, you can make a copy of the old version, but you can always restore it later by re-running the Office installer.) To make sure everything is kosher now, check EQNEDT32.EXE properties. The version should show 2017.8.14.0. (Note that if you use the Office installer in the future to change installed components or repair your installation, it may put back the old EQNEDT32.EXE and you'll have to manually replace it again.)
  15. Yesterday
  16. Best Hypervisor for Windows 98

I wonder how hard it would be to create unofficial VirtualBox drivers for Windows 9x. VirtualBox (along with the guest additions) is open source, so it should just be a matter of modifying the drivers to use only Windows 98 features. https://www.virtualbox.org/browser/vbox/trunk/src/VBox/Additions/WINNT?order=name
  17. I have ACPI enabled on my computer, so I guess it's already using HLT anyway.
  18. Best Hypervisor for Windows 98

86Box is the new PCem-X.
  19. Windows 98 was the first to support ACPI and HLT. If the support is present but not detected by the OS, it may be enabled manually, see this. With NT systems, Windows 2000 was the first with ACPI support. For NT 4.0, some hardware manufacturers provided custom NTDETECT.COM and HAL.SYS among other things, see this.
  20. Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

Hrm... Because new crap is crappier than old crap, in what regards crapbag 17040, perhaps?
  21. Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

Crap to think about. Why can a 10 year old Dell laptop update to Insider 17040 Windows 10 Pro in about 3 1/2 hours and a Surface laptop that is a lot newer fails to update to 17040?
  22. Many days I haven’t seen this

Inevitable suggestion of commercial compressed file fixer software by a new 1-post-wonder incoming in ... 3 ... 2 ... 1
  23. List of Web Browsers Working with XP 2017

I succeeded in "installing" SlimJet 12 (12.0.1.0) with no OS block or restrictrions, but once installed I get 0xc0000005 errors. I tried to select all to copy and paste the error report contents here, but the window does not allow that. The text file also does not contain the same info: Surely there must be a way to get SlimJet running on XP. Perhaps an API from Windows 7 32 bit? (update 11/17 14:53: here is the link for the portable version if anyone wants to look at the components and source code: https://www.slimjet.com/release/archive/12.0.1.0/sjt7z_x86.exe)
  24. Many days I haven’t seen this

I hate using computer; because of it is only needs only for my complicated job and not every day. However, several days ago I tried opening .rar archive with important information and it didn’t open.
  25. List of Web Browsers Working with XP 2017

This is indeed a great list that has been put together. Well done! <a href="http://pcactivators.com">thanks </a>
  26. diff and ffvpx patch are posted already.
  27. Won't cp/m to old to run jpeg
  28. Best Hypervisor for Windows 98

Did you try PCem-X? 86Box?
  1. Load more activity