Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

Some new crap to think about. What does it mean when all three Windows 10 Pro test computers have updated cleanly for the last four insider preview releases?
  3. The gui is on the downloads page all the way at the bottom under other (or was it others). Says "testing version of gui".. etc.. I use that. I don't think I bothered with reflection images.
  4. Today
  5. Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

Thanks for the information, burd. Added to the list. Hate to hear about Epic Browser on Vista
  6. Thank You Big Muscle For New Aero Glass Build 1.5.6

Looks like we can have our cake and eat it too We got symbols today and therefor transparency. -DW Win10 16296 w/ Aero Glass 1.5.6
  7. Is Vista a lost cause on modern hardware?

I happen to be that friend that likes Vista, JFYI, lol. On the Intel side of things, Ivy Bridge is the last platform from Intel to properly support Windows Vista. Haswell and later have a weird bug with Vista that causes it to not boot up half the time, rendering it unusable on the platform(s) if you ask me. While Ryzen might work, I wouldn't get my hopes up. If you're really keen on using Windows Vista today, I say you should go for a high end processor from the Ivy Bridge lineup. I personally have the Core i7 3770, and it runs like a charm with Windows Vista Ultimate. Even if the platform is a few years old, it still provides excellent and efficient performance that can suit almost anyone (I run virtual machines and play a few Dolphin games, and I have no issue doing these tasks - even simultaneously). And if you haven't already, make sure to check out my Last versions of software for Windows Vista/2008 list. There, you'll find a large library of information regarding the current state of third party support for Windows Vista. It's really not as bad as it may seem. The best all around web browser for Vista is probably Pale Moon (based on Firefox, but not the same thing), as it's the only known one that still gets major version updates on Vista, with no end of support in sight. Good luck, and welcome to MSFN!
  8. Simple XP 32BIT 64Gb RAM (true Pae) Guide

Still didn't work, same error boot.ini is invalid. Tried it on Windows XP Professional SP3 and Windows XP Home Edition SP3
  9. I'm looking at getting my Ryzen system working with Vista. Getting the USB 3.x drivers in is probably gonna be the biggest hurdle. It runs 7 like a charm, but for a friend of mine who likes Vista, I'm looking to test Vista on it too. AMD uses ASMedia for a lot of their chipset, and ASMedia is known to support Vista to an extent, so we could get lucky.
  10. Reflection images can be found easily googling, or searching this forum. Here http://glass8.eu/files/AeroGlassGUI.7z
  11. Sometime in the future I'd like to build a new PC and install Vista on it. My current PC cannot run Vista at all (Haswell i5), so that's out of the question. However now that Vista is completely deprecated, most modern software and games require at least Windows 7, and Intel and AMD have stopped producing chipset drivers for Vista, is it even worth it? Vista is definitely my favorite Windows OS. Windows 7 is whatever but Windows 8.1 and 10 are complete trash and I never want to be bothered with them. Linux and other Unix-likes are also really unattractive. Are there any modern chipsets that support Vista 64 bit with USB 3.x drivers?
  12. Time for my next complaint! Even Google can't seem to answer this one. :lol:

This is another one that follows the mobile trend. I'm very much aware this "word", or abbreviation, has existed way before mobile technology really even became a thing. But for the love of God, why do people absolutely LOVE saying the word "app" so much?

This is a word I feel like people get ultimate pleasure in saying, particularly out loud. Listen to just about anything anymore, "blah blah blah......and DOWNLOAD OUR APP!!!" :thumbdown

Okay, I get it, you want people to download your free program because it makes your content better for them or something. But do you have to say it constantly, over and over again? I'm sorry, but the word isn't cool anymore. I never thought it was anyway, but now it's the most overused and abused word in technology. I think it's just one of those words though that people who know next to nothing about technology or how it works to sound hip. It's kind of like 4G LTE. I hear that all the time, even out of the mouths of regular people. Exactly how many people even know what LTE means or stands for? Probably nobody.

But to get back to what I was originally talking about. Until smartphones became a thing, I almost never heard people call something an app. When referencing something on the computer, it was either an application, a program, or web browser, a word processor, well you get the idea. Things used to differ from each other. Games used to be games. Now everything is all consolidated into one term, app. Even Microsoft wasn't happy until they cashed in on that word. Programs was used for many, many years in Windows. But what happens once it moves into the mobile era? "That no longer works.....All Apps...yep, sounds good."

So the too long, don't read version. I'm tired of that word, no it doesn't sound hip, and no, it doesn't make you sound like a tech professional. No wonder new technology is so boring now.

Now I feel better! :thumbup

13. Is ReFS ready for prime-time?

It's like they got it most of the way there then just abandoned polishing the edges so it could be used mainstream. For what it's worth I've never had a lick of trouble with it. I ended up using ReFS for years on both external and internal data drives. One of them is chronically full, and it seemed to me it didn't get as bogged-down as NTFS does when you run a drive nearly full, but honestly I've not done any objective testing to give that feeling any credence. -Noel
  14. Hi, i extra register here because i also was searching for a solution (sorry for my bad english). I hope that i have understand the problem correct. I think, i found the solution in the Dexpot-Forum (i use Dexpot and first i thought it is a Dexpot Problem) In this Forum the user paracanary wrote here I also changed also in regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters "EnablePrefetcher" from 3 to 0 (i use a SSD) My problem is solved. Hope it helps you. Greetings
  15. There are no problems with KB4039384. With KB4039111 only the entry in the WSUS catalog was updated, the update itself was not changed. There is no need for action. I am worried about the users who installed the update KB4025398 after the 31st of August, because the security gap in the file Msinfo32.exe is no longer fixed!
  16. Machine keeps updating but I only have 1.420.2600.6421 of USP10.dll. I'll wait and see what happens. I only wonder how important all these updates may be.
  17. StartIsBack++ 2.5

I am dual-booting Windows 10 and Windows 7 will this work on Win7? I want the Vista start menu style.
  18. Lost Microsoft Edge

Here is the fix. I found on another help site, in case anyone has the same problem. It worked for me. Microsoft Edge is up and running fine. http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-reinstall-microsoft-edge-in-windows-10/
  19. List of Web Browsers Working with XP 2017

please do it. I tried to mimick official build by checking official build's about:buildconfig but I can't get rid this problem. EDIT: problem solved by changing to Firefox compatibility. And there is 2 lines missing in browser\branding\unofficial\pref\palemoon-branding.js: // Enable Firefox compatmode by default. pref("general.useragent.compatMode", 2);
  20. Heinoganda, Bersaglio and Dave-H - Recent discussions about KB4039384 and KB4039111 have left me feeling confused, not to mention delirious and fatalistic. I don't think I've installed them yet, but then I can't remember what I had for breakfast. Before trying to [re?]install them, I checked System32, and I have these versions of these files: xpsp2res.dll: 5.1.2600.7248 USP10.dll: 1.420.2600.7334 GDIPLUS.dll: 5.2.6002.24180 So - should I go to https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=posready and download and [re?!?]install KB4039384 and KB4039111 ? Or just stay out of harm's way?
  21. [SOLVED (AS IS)] Windows 95 issues with GRUB4DOS

I don't have the Virtual Machine Additions installed on the Windows 95 VM at all. Now looking at the setup for Windows 95 on the third hard disk, here's where I finally figured something out: hide (hd0,0) hide (hd0,4) hide (hd0,5) hide (hd0,6) hide (hd1,0) hide (hd1,4) hide (hd1,5) hide (hd1,6) unhide (hd2,0) unhide (hd2,4) unhide (hd2,5) unhide (hd2,6) map (hd0) (hd2) map (hd2) (hd0) find --set-root /IO.SYS map --floppies-1 map --hook root (hd0,0) chainloader +1 The result is that prior to booting Windows 95, hard disks hd0 and hd1 go hidden, hd2 are unhidden. But here's the correct caviat, After mapping hd2 as hd0, I have to hook INT13 (map --hook) and after that, I set the root as hd0,0. However, the ghost partitions M: through P: still showed up and drives C: though F: are still using compatibility mode. Now checking the IOS.LOG file in the \WINDOWS directory, I found that the MBRINT13.SYS is causing unit numbers 02, 03, 04 and 05 to go through real mode drivers. I'm baffled on how this can be fixed now.
  22. Oh OK. I'm simplifying the process a lot, so this is how I understand it: Let's say the component "shell32.dll" is initially released in October 2012. There are three updates for colour rendering problems, and two for security holes (I'm making this up of course ...lol). The way Windows 8 removes components, is that it keeps the original version, the newest colour-fixed one, and the newest security-fixed one. Then Windows 8 uses hardlinks to point to the correctly matched version to support whatever program you run. In the Windows 8.1 /resetbase option will remove all but the newest version, and JUST use that. I hope I have that correct. It appears that DISM++ calculates that (if I were able to use /resetbase) I could rid of an additional 1.46 GB.
  23. Yesterday
  24. In order to swap drives, GRUB4DOS needs to hook INT 13. If it hides Partitions, or makes any other changes, by modifying the image of the MBR provided rather than changing the actual MBR, Windows will get confused. I am working on an AHCI Driver, so I have dissected the existing Code. IOS scans the Hard Drives using INT 13 and creates a Checksum for each one. The Standard Disk Driver scans the Hard Drives using Direct I/O, creates Checksums for each one, then compares them to the list from IOS. The ones that match are mapped. Unmatched Drives are added as new Drives. If GRUB4DOS changed the Checksum for a MBR Image, it won't match the Checksum from a MBR read by Direct I/O. This appears to be happening in your case. The Drive didn't match so IOS put it's unmatched Drive and Partitions into compatibility Mode. The same Drive was treated as new and it's Partitions were added as your Ghosts. I noticed that it appears you are using Virtual PC 2007 Drivers. These may be incompatible with your usage of GRUB4DOS. If possible try the same setup on a different VM.
  25. OldNewExplorer 1.1.8

Where do I find the latest version of OldNewExplorer links?
  26. Just Aeroglass, nothing else, and if you mean the transparency in the app that appears in the image, that is called "Acrylic" and is one of the 4 components of Fluent Design, modern apps of Microsoft such as Calculator, Groove, People etc have such transparency.
  27. [SOLVED (AS IS)] Windows 95 issues with GRUB4DOS

That might be the issue with duplicate drive letters (M, N, O and P) showing up. I think that it could be a bug or design limitation with either the Windows 9x/ME operating systems or GRUB4DOS itself. I'm gonna do a Google search on ghost partitions in Windows 95 for more information.
  1. Load more activity