Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Sure and it is also pretty much irrelevant to those running Windows 3.1 (for Workgroups) but that was not the question. I do have a couple machines that do have SP3, and have never seen any Office version and surely not Internet Explorer 8. jaclaz
  3. Today
  4. Well, for those running XP SP2 with IE6, there are no more updates at all, so that using MU is moot.
  5. Someone must *somehow* underline/highlight how this GRC tool (like I have seen a few on the Linux side as well), DO NOT in any way actually test the vulnerabiity, they only check whether the OS (or the kernel) has been patched against the vulnerability. The distinction is subtle, but not void of meaning. So, IF your processor is affected, and IF your operating system has a patch available, and IF you have applied the patch, then this program might verify that the patch has been installed properly. jaclaz
  6. Ahhh Thank you very much. Cheers and Regards
  7. The really sad part is that given MS trend someone in a not too far future may need to express the phrase: Of course the sheer moment something like that will be written the Universe - at least as we know it - will cease to exist (don't ask me for the details, it is something connected with the global improbability level going out of bounds or overflowing) jaclaz
  8. Can you explain the actual "requirement"? If I don't have IE8 nor any Office installed how would any of those matter? jaclaz
  9. Corrupt Java Install

I can see you haven't searched this forum... Read this <link>.
  10. Corrupt Java Install

I recently used the built-in uninstaller to remove Java 8 after it started giving me problems. Now I am unable to reinstall it when I click on the jxpinstall the process opens up in task manager and then it suddenly quits without giving me any error message and the installer never runs. The same thing happens when I try to open jdk-8u161-windows-i586. It does not matter whether I use the offline or online installer as both do the same thing. I believe the uninstaller failed to remove the previous installation fully and as such there are leftover traces of the previous install that are preventing me from reinstalling Java. Thus, I would like for someone to tell me all the files related to the Java program and its registry entries so I can manually remove them.
  11. POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

SpecuCheck does not works on XP. Must be recompiled. _______________________________________ Specucontrol and Ashampoo not works on XP. In addition both tools need Powershell and the NET Framework
  12. Kext: DIY KernelEx extensions

I mean, I know that, but using the version from 2012 doesn't even work.
  13. Right click where? Can you please post a pic showing exactly where to click? TIA Cheers and Regards
  14. Specter only affects processors without FSB. Celeron M 520, 420 or 380 has FSB: https://ark.intel.com/es-es/search?q=celeron+m+1.60 https://www.techarp.com/guides/complete-meltdown-spectre-cpu-list/ InSpectre is bad. Better to use any of the following: https://github.com/ionescu007/SpecuCheck/releases or https://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/pin/1304/security-software/spectre-meltdown-cpu-checker or the powershell script of Microsoft: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4073119/protect-against-speculative-execution-side-channel-vulnerabilities-in
  15. Kext: DIY KernelEx extensions

The user who added Ren'Py did this in August 2012! So he tested older versions up to 2012. There is no newer editing of the text. https://www.renpy.org/release_list.html
  16. This topic should be listed in harkaz's post list https://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171814-posready-2009-updates-ported-to-windows-xp-sp3-enu/?tab=comments#comment-1077785 That's my 2c.
  17. Now there's a phrase I never though I'd hear! You are right - time permitting I will try to trace this myself. Thanks for the tips. If I'm honest, I've been lazy due to distractions with other projects and not enough time. Thanks Wonko - Atari800XL linked to the folder in an edit to his post. You have summed up the situation perfectly. The problem at the moment is that there's just so much stuff I want to test and not enough hours in the day.
  18. Important announcement for Dropbox users still running Windows Vista: As of January 2018, the Dropbox desktop client will no longer connect to the Dropbox service on PCs running Windows Vista. However, you can work around this by running the application in compatibility mode for Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5), and the software should then connect to Dropbox just fine. Keep in mind, this was tested on the 41.4.80 version of the client, which was released on January 8, 2018. This workaround may be patched in newer versions, or newer versions of the client may not work in Vista at all, so I wouldn't count on this solution being a good long-term strategy. If/when this no longer works, you may simply use the web version of Dropbox (as long as you're using a supported web browser. View this post to see a list of web browsers as well as other software that still support Vista). Anyway, with that said, here's how to perform the workaround: 1. First of all, make sure all instances of Dropbox are closed. To do this, open Task Manager, click on the 'Processes' tab, and end 'Dropbox.exe': 2. Next, open Explorer and navigate to Program Files (x86 if on a 64-bit system)\Dropbox\Client and highlight Dropbox.exe: 3. Right-click on Dropbox, click Properties, and in the following dialogue, click the 'Compatibility' tab and choose Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5): 4. After doing this, click OK and you may then close out the Windows Explorer window. Now, if you did everything correctly, Dropbox should connect just fine on Windows Vista, and you may use it normally!
  19. I'm having this really weird internet problem in Windows 95. This never happened before when I installed Windows 95 previously, but it is now. I tried everything, including uninstalling the Windows Desktop Update and installing Firefox 1.5.0.9, but none of it's working. Basically, every web page I visit, it says 'Detecting proxy settings...' for a bit, then gives me a 'The page cannot be displayed' error. The TCP/IP protocol has been installed, TLS 1.0 has been turned on, and I have 128-bit encryption installed, but it still won't work. I'm using a VMware Virtual Machine with an AMD PCNET Family ethernet adapter (which has been binded to TCP/IP), which is connected via NAT (my physical connection is fine), and I have Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 installed with Java 1.3.1_20. Does anyone have any idea what's happening?
  20. POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

InSpectre ver 5. My situation: This 32-bit OS on Intel Processor: OS is Meltdown aware: No OS is Spectre aware: No OS Meltdown data: n/a OS Spectre data: n/a PCID/INVPCID instructions: No / No CPU microcode updated: Yes CPU is meltdown vulnerable: Yes This system's processor identification: Intel Celeron M processor / 1.60GHz P.S. Right click on the "ghosted " box symbol shown in Inspectre window. Then select "Tech details." It show you everything that "probe" was supposed to and much more.
  21. Latest Version of Software Running on XP

Figured it was worth a shot to try patching the Java installer with XomPie. While it changed many things, no dice.
  22. Kext: DIY KernelEx extensions

Stupid question: How do I get ren'py based games to work under KernelEx? The kernelex wiki says it should work fine, but I found the latest version of Ren'py that could have been used when that wiki page was "Steampunk Hamster", so I made an example game under that version. I can't get it to work. To clarify, the launcher stub in the games root directory does nothing when ran, even under "XP SP2" compatibility, and replacing the stub with the actual game executable from lib\windows-i686 just says an illegal operation has been performed. Here's a link to the example game I tried: http://b.reich.io/vmnyyz.zip
  23. Get WAIK Tools w/o downloading the huge ISO's

I think Misty is just interested in testing stuff... I guess he likes Wimlib so much for his PE builder, that he also wonders what the most efficient way for adding packages would be, and if it could be done without using mounting/ unmounting. For me personally, mounting is not so bad, as long as I can remember not to open any explorer windows to check what's going on during unmounting :-)
  24. Batch conversion HTML to DOCX

Sorry I used to convert SHTML to PDF, but I think it does DOC too.
  25. Many are in the "oldversion" folder on onedrive: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=53F5D45A736673!245 jaclaz
  26. Doesn't need a genius to get such a list of files. Sysinternals Process monitor and some patience should be enough Filtering Dism.exe and Dismhost.exe process usage of Createfile API. But I wonder why there is so much trouble with mounting process. Sure it's slower than on the good old Vista days, but with SSDs today it's quick enough. I'm using mount/unmount for years in my WinPE builder and also to integrate windows updates into install.wim. Never had any problem. Are you guys still use Anitvirus software?
  1. Load more activity