Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

Just throwing in my complaints. 1. DirectX and Nvidia drivers don't play well with each other, causing high DPC Latency, this issue was in Win 8 as well and affects even people with High End systems. The negative side effect of this is sluggish response from the system, causing audio stutters, sometimes making videos sound like a sound effect used in The Matrix. 2. No Windows Classic Shell. Seriously some people love the old Windows 9X look, myself included and I work in the Graphics Industry. I'd take it over the current look any day. 3. Windows Update...It always breaks, making me jump through hoops to get it working again. When it does work, it installs crap I don't want. 4. Windows Store, installs random crapware without my permission, uninstalled apps sometimes reappear. I don't even want Windows Store at all, will never buy anything from there. 5. XBox. I'm a gamer, but only on PC and only play games from Steam, GoG or Itch.io, i'll never buy a console. I don't want it on my workstation and even then it causes issues with game performance with it's crappy capture service. 6. Settings screens, whoever the UX designer was and their director was and those that signed off on the idea should be slapped. There is nothing wrong with the old control panel, I've managed to use it since my preteens in the 90's without hassle. 7. Accessing camera's, microphones, folders, personal information. No, just no, I don't trust it at all and refuse to ever accept it, no matter what their excuse. 8. UI customization has never felt this limited, can't scale the borders, can't change the font, colors etc easily. Have to resort to third party hacks. 9. The Apps, all terrible, only the Calculator is ever in use on my side, everything else has been replaced with Third Party tools. All of it makes me think of some bad Javascript based app made with Electron with minimal features. 10. I have to waste my time jumping through hoops to remove all this crap, disable components & services, change registry keys, downloading third party software, only to still sit with a bloated POS/OS that can't even run new hardware properly. Even Vista does a better job as an OS. If only software devs would develop for FreeBSD or Linux...and maybe M$ could hire CS students that still see the value in programming in a language like C.
  3. Today
  4. Anyone with experience setting up Bochs? I'm new to it, want to set it up for old Windows versions. I'm struggling to get .iso files to read. Main reason for using it, is because it's lightweight compared to VirtualBox or VMWare and emulates old hardware.
  5. Greetings

Hi all. Just another user annoyed with Windows, wishing for things to be simpler again.
  6. How to avoid such dependency?
  7. Aero Glass for Win8.1+ 1.5.3

Which one works on Creators update 1709 ² at least partially, i cant live without aero glass lol
  8. > NewMoonXP? It emphasizes New Moon's mission to serve XP, just as TenFourFox serves Mac OS X 10.4 users. A new moon can't be seen (it's below the horizon) so: FauxMoon -> FOMoon -> FiveOneMoon > third_party/rust/kernel32-sys/src/lib.rs: pub fn K32GetModuleInformation( Most of these new dependencies are likely in third party code, not the core code. Or they might be generated by newer compilers.
  9. Printer Software for HP Deskjet

Must-read guide to getting USB printers recognized by Win98 and drivers installed (see third and fifth posts).
  10. Yesterday
  11. Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

Wow. Just...wow. All of the information is here; I can tell you reading over this thread had me up-and-running in no time at all. And folks here are excellent at helping with specific questions should you have problems. So spend ten minutes and skim through the thread (hint: skim the thread backwards to save some time - had you bothered to read the post directly above yours, you'd know which version of MSE's installer to download, and a link to where to get it!); you will get a whole lot of excellent information from some very knowledgeable people. If you don't have time to expend that tiny bit of effort and make an attempt on your own, well, dunno what to tell you.
  12. Hello, i downloaded and installed Aero Glass 1.5.6 for Windows 10 Fall Creators Update with the zip file because with the installer i can't replace DWMGlass.dll with the Experimental for 16299 one, executed the schedule.bat and all is ok. My problem is with the Aero Glass theme offered in the installer, i found it, yes, i found it but it is a .png and a .layout file, how i can convert it into an usable theme for Windows? Thanks! EDIt: With the installer thing, i mean, i installed the Aero effect with the zip, not with the installer. But i want the Aero Glass THEME.
  13. X64\Sources and X86\Sources: The Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 setup.exe supports this. The Windows 7 <DVD:>\setup.exe dosn't support X64\Sources and X86\Sources, the path x86 or x64 is unkown. The file install.wim is not found. However windows 7 setup.exe supports .\Sources. A relative path is supported. Run <DVD:>\x86\sources\setup.exe or <DVD:>\x64\sources\setup.exe at start up. Hence at boot.wim. What about adding a text file setup.vbs? How to read topic 26064: Dual Boot BIOS/UEFI Windows 7 AIO https://web.archive.org/web/20160505013612/http://www.911cd.net:80/forums/index.php?showforum=3
  14. 'ello @bigmuscle Decided to post some logs for ya incase it might be of use. Running the current beta build for Fall Creators Upate. So far no issues at all. First log: dwm.exe log Second log: ApplicationFrameHost.exe log Third log: Microsoft Windows Explorer log So far I have not had any actual problems. The only app loaded in the ApplicationFrameHost.exe log is the settings app but I have tried a couple others and will gladly share more logs if you want me to =) I---EDIT--- I just added the Microsoft Windows Explorer log since opening the Groove Musci player app opened that up, lol. I hope these will come in useful for ya =)
  15. No MSFN forums with Opera Presto engine

I too find it offputting the board software hardly works on anything not modern. Seriously, IPS4 is ridiculously bloated, it hardly works using XP with 1 GB RAM on an Intel Atom... just tons of fancy JS and AJAX everywhere causes the site to severely lag.
  16. Firefox Quantum

The new UI looks like Edge's. I refuse to touch it. Plus, Firefox's only edge over Chrome pre-Quantum was the flexibility of customisations: now that is gone, it is now pretty much a complete copy of Google Chrome, the browser they oh-so-idol and have some sort of fetish for... I will stay with Pale Moon thank you!
  17. Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

Hey ^_^ I'm new, and don't really have time to read the entire thread. I did a clean installation of Windows XP about two hours ago, and am just wondering, what do I basically need to know to get MSE up and running on XP SP3? IE8 and New Moon XP is installed. Thank you. --pinkmoon89
  18. I've been a fan of Pale Moon since before it became more widely known (been using it since around the end of 2015) and I must say this is some great work that has been put into making it compatible with ol' NT 5.1! I'm having no problems on NT 5.1.2600.5512 fully updated - no POSready 2009 patches - using a build from around last Friday or so. Thanks, now my XP netbook is ready to go and works rather well with the Internet, and also means I don't have to deal with deprecated Chrome backports (SlimJet), the odd forced ClearType glitch (Firefox/SeaMonkey) and spyware (Maxthon). I really appreciate the work you put in this. Thanks again, I don't think I can thank you enough ^.^
  19. BSOD x00000007b during install

Good , everything is back to normal improbability level .... jaclaz
  20. Do you mean a message *like* "A DVD/CD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver CD/Floppy please insert it now..." or "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing ..." I seem to remember that you need to have the USB device set as "non-removable, *like*: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/148700-install-windows-7-from-any-usb-ntfs-partition-grub2/ Or is it some other error? (post the EXACT error you get). jaclaz
  21. Printer Software for HP Deskjet

Sure, this is normal, imagine that the printer is doing someting similar to a computer boot. Unfortunately there is no way to answer , you will need to check several things: Is the printer listed? (besides in "Printers" also in "Device Manager") Is it connected to the "right" USB port? Do you have any other (USB) printer (with "manufacturer" drivers) to test that the USB printing support in the install is working? jaclaz
  22. BSOD x00000007b during install

It's a eMMC disk. There is nothing connected to the SATA controller. SATA controller drivers dosn't matter. Include eMMC drivers. However: Windows 7 does not include any driver support for eMMC devices https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000006602/mini-pcs.html It's a Braswell CPU N3050. https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IL/content/model/NX.MYGET.009 The Embedded Drivers for Windows 7 may work or fail. The N2930 is supported, but not the N3050. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24548/ Which hardware ID matches your eMMC Host Controller? Does matches PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2294? Compare iaiosd.inf http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/175652-desperate-to-installuse-windows-7-help/
  23. Printer Software for HP Deskjet

I was asking for a generic printer utility. The proper name is "universal." Here is a universal HP driver for Windows 98: http://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=1344325 I tried to print a test page. Nothing happened. The printer failed to respond. When the printer is powered up, all moving components travel normally across the carriage. The question is, why did the universal HP driver fail to communicate with the printer? It's suppose to work with all HP Deskjet and Laserjet printers.
  24. Hi , i'd like to create an USB pen with Windows 7 X86 and X64 only just like Media Creator does with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, without using any Utility, but just editing various BCD stores in folders BOOT and EFI. In my test i use a X64 ISO and i do this steps: 1) rename Sources in X64\Sources and add X86\Sources 2) edit BCD uefi and Bios version to new paths. final result i have DVD similar to media creation tool. When i launch it. The Setup starts until you push "install Windows" and after the setup cannot find the support. This happens just when you change the name of the original path in BCD for istance (sourcex insted of sources) Maybe somebody know how solve this. Thanks in adavance Giovanni
  25. Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

Nicely put! Have you noticed any computer service degradation at places that you shop? Like: "The computer is slow today." or "Wait, we needed to reboot the PC." or "The PC won't start." When I hear these comments, my first thought is that the computer system was updated to Win 10. US politics are sort of like W10 these days. Many people are voting for Win 7, replace the Win 10's, as a result of the situation to get back to some stable politics (An analogy). Bud
  26. Thanks Nutrynion, please keep me posted on your progress. -DW
  27. [Release] ManyCam 2.1

ManyCam is the best webcam software and a video switcher. It allows you to develop your video chats and create wonderful live streams on different platforms at the same time.
  28. There is an addition for YouTube "Byffox YouTube Downloads", works only with the old interface of YouTube. The processor can be without support of SSE2 (AthlonXP). Video can be played in any player capable reproduction of a stream (MPC-HC or another). It is necessary to select and transfer the left mouse button in a player window image The player not hidden - MPC-HC : "View" --- "On top" --- "Always"
  1. Load more activity