Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Latest Version of Software Running on XP

MSI Error 1603: MSI (c) (30:60) [03:46:21:203]: Note: 1: 1708 MSI (c) (30:60) [03:46:21:203]: Product: Java 8 Update 161 -- Installation failed. MSI (c) (30:60) [03:46:21:203]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Java 8 Update 161. Product Version: 8.0.1610.12. Product Language: 1033. Installation success or error status: 1603. MSI (c) (30:60) [03:46:21:234]: Grabbed execution mutex. MSI (c) (30:60) [03:46:21:234]: Cleaning up uninstalled install packages, if any exist MSI (c) (30:60) [03:46:21:250]: MainEngineThread is returning 1603
  3. Today
  4. Connecting to Dropbox in Vista after January 2018: How-to

Nice, works perfect! thanks for share this method Im a noobish with DB, until very recently discover the desktop client for windows,but only shows "you need windows 7 or newer system to sync your account"
  5. OldNewExplorer 1.1.8

I made a fix for you. It hides, but will appear on mouseover. Anyway, I have two files one for aero, and another for 3rd party themes build 1709. Just replace in your respective themes folder, using aero as an example: C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\aero\shell\normalcolor. Then restart or logout to apply. I edited the extensions to show which was which so change back to .dll! ShellStyle.rar
  6. Yesterday
  7. Weird internet problem in Windows 95

Before we blame the operating system (win95) or blame it's configuration. We should do a few things. Make sure VMware bridge protocol is binded to your host machine LAN adapter. 1. On the host machine/hypervisor run start run CMD type in the command prompt ipconfig /all Take note of your default gateway address, your DNS adress, and you iprange and subnet. 2. Edit the virtual machine adapter and change it from NAT to bridged. This should be in VMware settings or whatever for the VM you made up. 3 Boot up 95 and open network from the control panel. Find Item listed TCP/IP click properties. Specify and IP adress. if your host machine IP is like 192.168.1.2 as example. Make the adress 192.168.1.50 in the same IP range. Enter in the same subnet mask as the host machine. usually its like 255.255.255.0 example. Click DNS configuration tab. and enable DNS. type DNS as the host. Now add your DNS settings. that you got from IPconfig earlyer. 4. click OK. It may want you to insert the 95 CD or point it to the windows system folder whatever just dont overwrite newer files. 5. Reboot the computer. and try to ping google or use the internet. 6. Stop using internet explorer. Use Retrozilla link below. Your issues have nothing to do with IE but IE is terrible none the less. 7. if this worked than the problem is with your NAT configuration. If this didn't work than your problem is windows 95 config. 8. I 100% bet this is not a problem of 95 but a problem of how you configured your system.
  8. Runouce Virus in Windows 7

Hello, as Jaclaz had suggested i downloaded ComboFix and tried to use combofix to clean my computer. When I try to run the program, I get an alert saying, "!! ALERT !! It is NOT SAFE to continue! The contents of the ComboFix package has been compromised. Please download a fresh copy from: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix Note: You may be infected with a file patching virus (Virut)" now only option left to me is format the hdd and reinstall Windows or Installing a Linux Distro with Wine...
  9. OldNewExplorer 1.1.8

It works beautifully to kill the ribbon, but I'd also like to kill the command bar.
  10. @jaclaz The last update for IE6 was KB3124275 from 01/11/2016, the problem with svchost.exe appeared from November 2016 on and means that from this point on when using WU in advance manually the most recent cumulative update for IE8 should be installed. In addition, if you are using MU, you must have the relevant Office Compatibilty Pack / Office 2007 updates from November 2016 to date so that svchost.exe's high processor load does not occur. Note: If you also use POSReady updates for Windows XP sp3, it is also advisable to install the cumulative update for IE8, because the components for Microsoft Office 2000 (hlink.dll), Microsoft Internet Messaging API (inetcomm.dll), JScript (jscript .dll) and VBScript (vbscript.dll) are no longer available in separate updates.
  11. Well, sorry to interrupt your grumpiness, but as someone mentioned in another topic: So, for this case we should start with 1)Is the software you are trying to update installed on your machine? So yes, patches listed were noticed by users to slow down MU/WU if the software they are for is present, and installing them helps to solve the issue. If this what you needed, case solved. Actually you could have solved the mystery yourself by running MU and checking out if it runs for minutes or for hours. In any other case when your MU is a slow hog and none of these patches apply to your system configuration, we can start investigating the issue and probably expanding the list.
  12. If by the old processor model, you already know that it is not vulnerable physically, why check if the vulnerable? The normal thing is that these utilities are thought for vulnerable processors. In old processors they may give diagnostic errors.
  13. Sure and it is also pretty much irrelevant to those running Windows 3.1 (for Workgroups) but that was not the question. I do have a couple machines that do have SP3, and have never seen any Office version and surely not Internet Explorer 8. jaclaz
  14. Well, for those running XP SP2 with IE6, there are no more updates at all, so that using MU is moot.
  15. Someone must *somehow* underline/highlight how this GRC tool (like I have seen a few on the Linux side as well), DO NOT in any way actually test the vulnerabiity, they only check whether the OS (or the kernel) has been patched against the vulnerability. The distinction is subtle, but not void of meaning. So, IF your processor is affected, and IF your operating system has a patch available, and IF you have applied the patch, then this program might verify that the patch has been installed properly. jaclaz
  16. Ahhh Thank you very much. Cheers and Regards
  17. The really sad part is that given MS trend someone in a not too far future may need to express the phrase: Of course the sheer moment something like that will be written the Universe - at least as we know it - will cease to exist (don't ask me for the details, it is something connected with the global improbability level going out of bounds or overflowing) jaclaz
  18. Can you explain the actual "requirement"? If I don't have IE8 nor any Office installed how would any of those matter? jaclaz
  19. Corrupt Java Install

I can see you haven't searched this forum... Read this <link>.
  20. Corrupt Java Install

I recently used the built-in uninstaller to remove Java 8 after it started giving me problems. Now I am unable to reinstall it when I click on the jxpinstall the process opens up in task manager and then it suddenly quits without giving me any error message and the installer never runs. The same thing happens when I try to open jdk-8u161-windows-i586. It does not matter whether I use the offline or online installer as both do the same thing. I believe the uninstaller failed to remove the previous installation fully and as such there are leftover traces of the previous install that are preventing me from reinstalling Java. Thus, I would like for someone to tell me all the files related to the Java program and its registry entries so I can manually remove them.
  21. POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

SpecuCheck does not works on XP. Must be recompiled. _______________________________________ Specucontrol and Ashampoo not works on XP. In addition both tools need Powershell and the NET Framework
  22. Kext: DIY KernelEx extensions

I mean, I know that, but using the version from 2012 doesn't even work.
  23. Right click where? Can you please post a pic showing exactly where to click? TIA Cheers and Regards
  24. Specter only affects processors without FSB. Celeron M 520, 420 or 380 has FSB: https://ark.intel.com/es-es/search?q=celeron+m+1.60 https://www.techarp.com/guides/complete-meltdown-spectre-cpu-list/ InSpectre is bad. Better to use any of the following: https://github.com/ionescu007/SpecuCheck/releases or https://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/pin/1304/security-software/spectre-meltdown-cpu-checker or the powershell script of Microsoft: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4073119/protect-against-speculative-execution-side-channel-vulnerabilities-in
  25. Kext: DIY KernelEx extensions

The user who added Ren'Py did this in August 2012! So he tested older versions up to 2012. There is no newer editing of the text. https://www.renpy.org/release_list.html
  26. This topic should be listed in harkaz's post list https://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171814-posready-2009-updates-ported-to-windows-xp-sp3-enu/?tab=comments#comment-1077785 That's my 2c.
  27. Now there's a phrase I never though I'd hear! You are right - time permitting I will try to trace this myself. Thanks for the tips. If I'm honest, I've been lazy due to distractions with other projects and not enough time. Thanks Wonko - Atari800XL linked to the folder in an edit to his post. You have summed up the situation perfectly. The problem at the moment is that there's just so much stuff I want to test and not enough hours in the day.
  1. Load more activity