Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Printer Software for HP Deskjet

HP printer utilities for previous 9x-compatible printers might work with the D4260 once drivers are installed. (I have the Deskjet 656c utilities installed on this very 98se system I'm posting from.) However, unless you are reporting that the W2K drivers did install on 98se and allow you to print at least a test page, then you already provided the answer to the underlying question: "...it's not compatible with 98SE." Minimum system requirements are a 128MB Pentium II with Windows 2000. All that said, if you are interested in creating a 9x driver/software pack for the D4260 you can try updating the last one from HP with driver files for the D4260 (and maybe wdmstub or wdmex).
  3. Yesterday
  4. Printer Software for HP Deskjet

Hmmm. You must have a sorta of obsession with that particolar make/model jaclaz
  5. Latest DivX codec for Windows 95C

VobSub 2.23 itself should run on 95, but might require a later version of DirectSound than you have installed. What versions of VobSub and DirectSound have your tried? And what exactly do you mean by "works under Win 95C"?
  6. So much helpful information, that needs to be stitched
  7. Printer Software for HP Deskjet

It seemed like my copy of 98SE on a laptop was doomed to sit on a closet shelf. Recently, a friend was cleaning out some bedroom closets in his home. He found a factory sealed box with a brand new printer! It's an HP Deskjet D4260. For some reason, it was never used. When he offered it to me, I immediately thought it would be nice to use my laptop with this printer. I've got the CD with all HP software, but it's not compatible with 98SE. Apparently, the drivers for Windows 2000 and 98SE are the same: http://www.fixya.com/support/t2548443-need_driver_win_98_hp_deskjet_d4260 The HP website does not list a software package for D4260 and 98SE. I've had terrible luck with KernelEx. I managed to use a couple of apps with KernelEx, but most attempts have failed. The drivers alone are not enough. Without software there is no way to align the print head or perform maintenance functions. Years ago I downloaded an app called X-Mouse Button Control. It worked with almost any mouse, providing many more features than conventional mouse apps. I haven't searched yet, but is there generic software that might work with a very basic printer like HP Deskjet D4260?
  8. Firefox Quantum

And I don't. At home it's unnoticeable, but at work, where I run really slow PC, it's new, optimized way is a real improvement, and ability to kill freezing tab without the whole window is a miracle. Ok, it's windows 10 ugly, but aesthetics are a minor thing to me, and as long as they preserve good old menu bar, I can use it. I will only grieve about 'toggle animated GIFs' add-on, but it's not as common-use as it was when I installed it.
  9. Running Windows 98 in 2017...

Sure, via CUPS, but that would be a "Print Server": https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-print-server/ Not entirely unlike what you do with a TCP/IP or LPR port on Windows NT series OS's or with a hardware print server. jaclaz
  10. One step closer to the Abyss. Intel just announced that they will stop providing CSM in 2020. They will only provide UEFI.
  11. Running Windows 98 in 2017...

I seem to remember a piece of software I found a while back that allowed you to just send a document to another computer on the network and have it automatically print from that machine. I wonder if it's possible to set up a printer on a Raspberry Pi or something and use that remotely. I actually had a Canon i850 printer that was in regular use in my house from 2002-2015. It finally stopped working after 13 years, and the ink was getting a bit hard to find. Of course, it was compatible with Windows 98.
  12. Many days I haven’t seen this

... must be either a part time complicated job or a partially complicated job , I would exclude English grammar teaching, however . jaclaz
  13. OldNewExplorer 1.1.8

after the 1709 win10 update the option to hide the "folders" area from my computer isn't working anymore, there's a new folder displayed in it - 3d Objects. pls fix
  14. WinXP SP3 takes VERY LONG checking for updates

They both are, because they share the search routine. The difference is that WUA don't try to search Office updates while MUA do. So installing KB4047206 is enough to avoid the bug while using WUA, but more updates are troublesome for MUA. Sorry, i don't use Office 2010 so don't know which of its updates are troublesome. If you can isolate them, we may check my "updates with 29 or more replacements list are bad" theory. UPD: i think that KB4011268 should be one of troublesome Office 2010 updates because it replace 34 of previous updates.
  15. WinXP SP3 takes VERY LONG checking for updates

Not any, but only a few of these updates cause the delay if they are missing. For now, only KB4011265 and KB4011205 of the Office Compatibility Pack updates cause the delay. I double-check this on my system: The first time i install them manually and do a search for missing updates. I found all other of the November Office Compatibility Pack updates in a few minutes. For the second test i install all the current Office Compatibility Pack updates then remove updates one-by-one. Any of the last Office Compatibility Pack updates being removed don't cause the delay - except for KB4011265 and KB4011205. The same behavior i notice before from the KB4011265 and KB4011205 predecessors - KB4011064 and KB3213647. Note that KB4011265 and KB4011205 replace 30 previous updates each (and KB4011064 and KB3213647 replace 29). If you doubt my conclusions, you may easily check: Install clean Office 2003 with SP3 on a fully updated Windows XP. Install the Office Compatibility Pack. Install the Office Compatibility Pack SP3. Install KB4011265 and KB4011205 (do not install any other updates). Search for updates.
  16. WinXP SP3 takes VERY LONG checking for updates

Hi Yellow Horror, Thank you for responding and pointing out the culprit. I suspected that it was another manifestation of Microsoft's perpetual idiocy, forcing people to waste time on troubleshooting what should be perfectly working machines... Anyways, I will take you advice to manually install updates for Windows and Office as they come up on Windows Update Catalog. For the record, I installed KB4047206 and ran Microsoft Update anew - it again went into endless checking for updates. I reverted to Windows Update and ran it - took about 1 minute to find the 4 remaining updates from November 11th. My guess is that not the Windows Update Agent, but the Microsoft Update Agent is buggy... On this particular machine I use MS Office 2010, perhaps some of its past updates are bad and contribute to the protracted update checking. Thanks again, and all the best :-)
  17. WinXP SP3 takes VERY LONG checking for updates

I don't think that's it, because, besides IE8 Cumulative Updates, any missing Office 2003 or Office 2007 Compatibility Pack updates caused the delay, and they usually replaced only one (or, at most, just a few) files at a time. The fact that they shouldn't appear anymore due to EoS does not invalidate nor cure the know symptom. Therefore, I have no choice but to respectfully disagree with your summing up.
  18. Many days I haven’t seen this

This post is not sponsored by RaRlab's WinRaR archiving software.
  19. List of Web Browsers Working with XP 2017

I have QT5.9 and Vs2015 . I can give a try but no promise.
  20. WinXP SP3 takes VERY LONG checking for updates

In short, XP version of Windows Update Agent is buggy, so any update that replace a big number (as far as i can see, the critical number is 29) of older updates is hard to find with it. Internet Explorer cumulative updates are an example, because they are released every month and each new cumulative update replace all its predecessors. While the bug in WUA isn't fixed (i hope that MS fix it before XP Embedded support ends), the only workaround is to download and install troublesome updates (IE cumulative and some other) or all updates suitable for your system manually. You can read more about the problem on the last pages of this topic.
  21. Hi guys, I have two almost identical machines running genuine Windows XP Home OEM SP3 - one is my work computer, the other is used for file storage. Internet Explorer 8 installed; POSReady hack too. Automatic update is off, I prefer to check for updates manually on weekly or by-weekly basis. Usually there is no issue with updates, except for the very annoying fact that of lately it literally takes several hours for the updates to show up (per usual, every time they are no more than a few of them - update for Internet Explorer, the OS and now and then MS Office). I use Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 client for anti-virus and firewall - this thingy is pretty heavy, but it does not really matter if it is on or off when the update is going on. Both machines have 2.2 MHz dual-core processor, one has 4 GB of dual-channel DDR400 memory, the other - 2 GB. In other words, hardware is not a problem for the scanning of updates to take so long. I have been browsing this forum, as well as the Internets for solution, but could not really find anything that would help (probably my bad). So I would really appreciate it if a friendly soul guides me on a way to solve the issue. Thanks in advance! Best :-)
  22. Simple XP 32BIT 64Gb RAM (true Pae) Guide

That's precisely what I meant when I said: Gavotte itself uses PAE, it does not rely on a patched Windows to do it, nor require any windows patching. And it works equally well with up to Windows 8.1 x86.
  23. Simple XP 32BIT 64Gb RAM (true Pae) Guide

XP appears to allocate physical memory top down like Windows 9x. If Windows is Patched and a RAMDisk run from within it, Drivers and many other things will still end up in high memory. To avoid any issues you will need a RAMDisk that loads before Windows or one that can use RAM not known by Windows. Windows should not be Patched in this case.
  24. I'd do it. I did it to all my machines and alternate bootpartitions, except I did not use the Office 2003 updates, only the ones for the 2007 Compatibility Pack, because they don't apply to my installations which are Office 2000 or 97 with the 2007 Compatibility Pack. But I also did replace the Equation Editor executable everywhere, as per @mixit's instructions.
  25. Ok OK - I'm so over-secured that the only thing still working is a manual typewriter and carbon paper. But for my OTHER machines -- "On my wife's important SOHO machine (Win 7 64-bit), we are still using Office 2003. Should any of the recent updates for Office or Compatibility be run manually on her machine?"
  26. Last week
  27. Latest DivX codec for Windows 95C

Hi again :-) For the benefit of the community and per the suggestion of @sdfox7; I tried DivX 5.1.1 Pro Codec on my Win 95C machine. It works flawlessly. In the process though I hit some snags. Namely, when I first tried to play DivX/MP3 encoded video file, Windows Media Player loaded up some crappy InterVideo Audio filter (iviaudio.ax), and not the Fraunhofer MP3 filter that I wanted, thus producing a garbled and crackling sound. This necessitated me to get rid of the InterVideo crap. After some search on the Internets, I managed to do this by the following: 1. Start/Run 2. regsvr32 -u iviaudio.ax 3. Delete iviaudio.ax from Windows\System 4. Restart comp. After that, Windows Media Player loads up the MP3 codec to play audio as it should. I also had to install Radium MP3 codec 1.263 (believe it is a hacked official Fraunhofer MP3 codec; had it in my archive, it is also available on the Internets). Finally, InterVideo WinDVD 3.0 (my software archive is bottomless) can play perfectly single AND double-layer DVD disks. It is awesome. The only remaining problem so far is that no version of VobSub that I tried works under Win 95C. Have to figure something else out in order to display subtitles. Hope this info will help other people. Best :-)
  28. List of Web Browsers Working with XP 2017

@Dibya Don't really know how to use it, and it could be time consuming. Maybe someone else here can interpret the code?
  1. Load more activity