Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Ahh okay so I don't need that as I am not I stalling any 3rd party theme . I just was glass effects on windows and for that I need the reflection image right ? And I van configure with I forgot the name of software
  3. Today
  4. Simple XP 32BIT 64Gb RAM (true Pae) Guide

I'm assuming that it's not supported with Windows XP Home Edition.
  5. Yesterday
  6. Windows 10 Regressions

Windows Update should not start even if a user is not logged on. Update should be controlled by a user. User control/security of computer is asserted by power down of computer. It seems the only way to stop invasive software. But then, if it is powered down, why do you need it? Just a dedicated test computer for Win 10.
  7. Simple XP 32BIT 64Gb RAM (true Pae) Guide

Okay done it, I went to reinstall XP Home and now it shows me invalid boot.ini after Setup is complete.
  8. Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

Perhaps, it's the other way around. The heat may be melting the frozen parts of the world. Some call it climate change but in this part of the world we're feeling a lot of heat. Now some more heat with the last three insider preview W10 releases that are getting close to an RTM product, all three test computers updated cleanly and the software that does emails and browsers seems to be working. Ghostery actually downloaded free from the Store and installed on Edge. However, all the information collecting and then some is still there. At a school near here, I saw that Win 10 was installed on a school computer. I felt sorry for the students and teachers that will be exposed to the challenge. But I guess that is what to expect in a state that is rated 50th out of 50 in education. (Part of that "heat" problem.) On the plus side, I'm hearing that more and more students are required to have an iPad when they enroll in the schools. Just like politics, when there is a serious issue, a positive solution slides in that bypasses the problem. 2018 is getting closer all the time. The iPads are already here in 2017. Trying to find the good in all this crap. It may be the iPad in schools that does in the big MS. The other crap will play out in 2018. That's a lot of unexpected heat.
  9. UXTheme Patcher modifies three system files in order to allow third party themes to be installed and enabled.
  10. Do you have Microsoft Office with the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack installed on that machine? If so, that is the reason that the update scanning is taking so long. If you manually install any Office updates first, the scan should then work quickly. Any Office updates should be recorded in this thread, with links to them.
  11. [SOLVED (AS IS)] Windows 95 issues with GRUB4DOS

The only way to hide "ghost" partitions from Windows 95 is to Force Compatibility mode disk access. And if I can't afford the Terabyte Plus Package, are there any other tools that will correctly implement Windows only "Ghost" partitions to insure that partitions that are not supported by the BIOS or DOS are correctly handled?
  12. Lost Microsoft Edge

Then use Pale Moon.
  13. When a Protected Mode Storage Driver is loaded, Windows scans every Device found. If it matches an existing DOS detected Device it is mapped. If not, all Partitions on it are added. DOS detected Partitions that are not mapped remain in "Compatibility Mode". GRUB4DOS is hiding Partitions from DOS but is not hiding them from Windows. This leads to the "Ghost" Partitions. Other than altering the Partition IDs to hide them, I do not know how to hide Partitions from Windows. My RFDISK Multi-Boot Profile setup alters the MBRs dynamically to provide Windows compatibility. I have intentionally implemented Windows only "Ghost" Partitions in my Terabyte Plus Package to insure that Partitions not supported by the BIOS or DOS are correctly handled.
  14. [SOLVED (AS IS)] Windows 95 issues with GRUB4DOS

Thank you so much for the compliment! I'm glad that things are working out as it is. As for attempting to abuse GRUB4DOS, I must of added the setactive or makeactive parameters which might have triggered the data corruption on the first hard disk where MS-DOS 6.22 resides and I apologise for messing up. Better safe than sorry - always backup incase something goes wrong. The latest GRUB4DOS version that I'm using right now is version 0.4.6a 2017-08-30. The only problem now is that the Windows 95 Device Manager has a yellow exclamation mark next to the floppy and hard disk controllers since I'm only allowing Windows 95 to use real mode disk access.
  15. Simple XP 32BIT 64Gb RAM (true Pae) Guide

Update packs integrator, i think. I can't remember if you need to extract.
  16. [SOLVED (AS IS)] Windows 95 issues with GRUB4DOS

Well, since my crystal ball is again in the shop for tuning, I did my best by interpreting the flight of the birds... although the only birds visible from where I am right now are a bunch of vultures, which usually are not very reliable, as you know.
  17. USB cam software

BUMP! (#1) jaclaz
  18. Hi everyone, Very shortly, an expression of my amazement for the work a lot of you guys have done with XP and this forum, Kudos for that. But the reason for me arriving on this forum, is a little irritation with one of my older laptops and the hope some of you smart guys knows a solution for. I believe this is the right topic to be in but if not, please send me in the right direction. The situation: Old Acer with a turion single core 2GHz 2GB RAM running XPhome, with register tweak to get the POS2009 updates. However... the updates got stuck, it is a very common problem but all solutions I found on the internet did not work. (svchost.exe running 100% on the tread to wuaueng.dll and not recovering, at least not yet after about 24 hours). I use Process Explorer to get the right thread. I observed this happening just after a substantial read of data like f.e. 35MB from disk. (before any read bytes from disk I/O it behaves normal). The reason this came to be (I think) is because I did not use the laptop since February when it updated the pos2009 updates still without problem. A few days ago I thought of getting the latest updates and since they did not come by themselves (automatic update was switched on though) I decided to use the MSwebsite to speed things up (yeah stupid thing to do). I have tried everything by now, that I could think of like all regular solutions with update to prevent this from happening again, I emptied the folder Prefetch and softwaredistributions, I downloaded all the (POS) updates from February till now manually and installed them one by one (so the system should be up to date). I downloaded the latest updater mentioned earlier here etc... But... every time when I switch on the automatic updates, after a while (this takes longer if I empty the folder "softwaredistributions" first) svchost.exe is stuck at 100% and the laptop is useless. (a lot of memory taken in the process as well, seems to get stuck at 225MB in use by svchost.exe and 200 by wuauclt.exe) By this time the folder softwaredistributions is again about 200MB big. It also does not matter what update system I use (first download and then ask or only notify me of updates or immediately installing). Of course the easy solution is just to switch automatic updates off and download them every month manually from the catalog, but that is not a fix, that is a bandage you have to replace every month. All my other XP-pro (POS2009) machines are working and updating without problems. So I am a bit lost here. Anyone a suggestion? edit typo
  19. [SOLVED (AS IS)] Windows 95 issues with GRUB4DOS

Yep , but without knowing the actual setup it is hard to say, it is also possible that *somehow* there is a "mixed boot", with *some other* io.sys loaded, however the normal search order for grub4dos is; (hd0,0) (hd0,1) (hd0,2) ... (hd1,0) (hd1,1) ... but grub4dos (I believe it depends on versions) can also look on hidden volumes, so it has to be seen what really happens. I inserted the: root command in the suggested commands (chich is otherwise unneeded and to be removed when inserting in a menu.lst) exactly to verify that the "right" root is found, but of course that was implying that some feedback would have been provided. jaclaz
  20. List of Web Browsers Working with XP 2017

For the upcoming Firefox ESR 52.4.0 release, I do not see a United States version (en-US), but the Great Britain (en-GB) version is working flawlessly on XP. This is a ZIP file which is nice because it does not impact the Firefox currently installed on your system. https://download-origin.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla-esr52-l10n/ (direct link: https://download-origin.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla-esr52-l10n/firefox-52.4.0.en-GB.win32.zip) According to the Mozilla Wiki, this version is due for official release next Thursday, September 28: https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar
  21. [SOLVED (AS IS)] Windows 95 issues with GRUB4DOS

Or there is more than one unhidden partition having an io.sys... Then, instead of "find --set-root /io.sys", "root (hd0,0)" at the same point should work.
  22. [SOLVED (AS IS)] Windows 95 issues with GRUB4DOS

Whatever floats your boat is good But you cannot misuse the tool and post an overcomplex workaround (actually you can, of course). If you detail how EXACTLY your disks are setup, I can probably help you, but you must not misrepresent what you did. Let's see together the set of commands (to be issued on command line) I posted. I assumed that the IO.SYS that you want to boot (and the corresponding Windows 95) bothe reside on (hd2,0). map (hd0) (hd2) map (hd2) (hd0) map --hook At this point (hd0) is (hd2) and (hd2) is (hd0). find --set-root /io.sys this will find the first io.sys it can find and set root to that disk partition. If the io.sys is on (hd2,0) (which is now (hd0,0), the following: root will output (hd0,0), so you have the "right" root. At this point you have two (actually three) possible way to boot the Windows 95 (DOS 7.x): 1) chainloader +1 (this will chainload the bootsector of the current root partition) 2) chainloader /io.sys (this will chainload the io.sys directly, bypassing the bootsector) 3) chainloader (hd0)+1 (this will chainload the MBR of the disk, if there is normal boot code in it, and if the first partition on that disk is active, it will chainload the bootsector, like #1 above). It is possible (and it may depend on the exact grub4dos version you are using) that the one or the other doesn't work, however. jaclaz
  23. Simple XP 32BIT 64Gb RAM (true Pae) Guide

Okay, Which option should i select in Task Selection? And do i need to extract the file?
  24. @heinoganda I am thinking there must be a way to make it work. Chrome 61 32-bit is compatible with Windows 7 32-bit, which is the reason I chose that version. Windows 7, in my opinion, is not all THAT different from XP. There must be an API that can be changed, modified, or copied from Windows 7. Unfortunately, I am not a programmer, but maybe @Dibya or @~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ can make it work.
  25. [SOLVED (AS IS)] Windows 95 issues with GRUB4DOS

I tried using your suggestion and when attempting to boot Windows 95 from the third hard disk threw a blinking cursor. Since Windows 95 is located on the third drive, the root (hd2,0) parameter has to be added before mapping the (hd2) as (hd0) or it won't work at all. Speaking of Windows 95, I solved my problem by loading the COMMAND.COM interpreter first and then load 4DOS permanently to prevent a missing or corrupt COMMAND.COM interpreter in the CONFIG.SYS file: SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM /C C:\4DOS\4DOS.COM C:\4DOS /P When I'm done with Windows 95, I can go back to MS-DOS on the first hard disk by unhiding (hd0), hiding (hd1) and (hd2) and jump to OS/2 by hiding (hd0), unhiding (hd1) and hiding (hd2).
  26. [SOLVED (AS IS)] Windows 95 issues with GRUB4DOS

Sure, if you just added the map --hook command in that menu.lst, you tried booting from the "wrong disk", you set root BEFORE exchanging disks. Moreover you first experiment in command line, and then you put it in a menu.lst entry, like: map (hd0) (hd2) map (hd2) (hd0) map --hook find --set-root /io.sys root chainloader /io.sys boot The above is not "booting from third disk" (which is AFAIK impossible, as DOS wants to be on first disk, actually on first active partition of first disk, or however whatever gets drive letter C:\, not negotiable), it is booting from third disk remapped to first disk. What you are probably doing (and that is philosophically "wrong") is to hide all partitions on first and second disk so that the first partition on third disk becomes C:\. But without knowing how the disks are partitioned/setup it is hard to say. jaclaz
  27. [SOLVED (AS IS)] Windows 95 issues with GRUB4DOS

Adding the map --hook parameter actually threw a "Non system disk or disk or disk error" message. Pressing the ENTER booted the OS from the third hard disk image as usual. If I remove the --map hook parameter, Windows 95 without any problems. Look here: What I did was to enter the "System Configuration Utility" (msconfig), click Advanced and select "Force Compatibility mode disk access" which will force Windows 95 to use real mode disk access since it is in a dual boot environment with MS-DOS and OS/2. The result is that drive letters M, N, O and P are now gone! As far as I know trying to mess around with the GRUB4DOS MENU.LST settings corrupted as much as 209 MB of data on the MS-DOS 6.22 partition and had to reinstall DOS! That's one of the reasons why I had to back up data incase something goes wrong.
  28. List of Web Browsers Working with XP 2017

Anyway I built my own palemoon-27.4.2 with patches in #1 and replaced GetTickCount64() with dynamic loading NtQueryPerformanceCounter() like One-Core-Api does (with --disable-skia and bundled New Moon branding, nothing else changed) http://o.rthost.cf/gpc/files1.rt/palemoon-27.4.2-unofficial-xp.7z
  1. Load more activity