Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Yesterday
  3. Good to know. On one of the POSReady 2009 machines here, MU wouldn't proceed until I installed the hotfixes for OGL and MSO. This was a couple of days ago. The update for Powerpoint is only on the list because it supersedes an older update that was required on both POSReady machines here; I assumed the new update would consequently be required too (at least, looking from the perspective of a bare Compatibility Pack + SP3 install). I'll do some more extensive testing over the next couple of days. Thanks for the info on KB4011607. I updated the list. I don't have a "standard" XP SP3 machine anymore, so I'm only adding the latest cumulative IE8 update for safety's sake. I don't know if it's really required either.
  4. I noticed the same graphical oddity as apreese16, on multiple Windows installs. This is actually on XP x64 (using the 32-bit Basilisk). With other themes (Royale, Zune etc.), the window buttons remain oversized, but the blue colour of the address bar changes to conform with the theme. With the classic theme it looks totally normal.
  5. Newest Adobe Flash and Shockwave, and Java, too!

Thank you so much Stephen, that's great! I wasn't aware that there was an update 152, it was never offered by the updater, perhaps it was considered to be too minor an update on 151. I downloaded your file, and will probably now uninstall 151 and install 152 from scratch, and hope we get a working updater for 161 at some point.
  6. Whilst some versions might be better than others, I don't really like any of them as they all seem to give mixed result and random partially unmounted wims. I miss the old imagex.exe from Vista days - it was great fun playing around with it back then. That version may also have been buggy as hell too - I haven't used it for years. These days I'm more inclined (storage space permitting) to use wimlib to apply an entire boot.wim rather than running mount and unmounts operations. Depending on the size of boot.wim and the system hardware it doesn't feel like it takes much longer. Only time I need to do this is when applying a package. If only some genius could trace which minimum set of files need extracting from boot.wim so that DISM can be used to successfully apply a package to this smaller file set - without the need to fully apply the contents of boot.wim. And entirely removing the need to mount the image. Misty
  7. Get WAIK Tools w/o downloading the huge ISO's

I recently wondered the same... :-) (it's a small world) I know you don't like the "buggy as hell" 16299, JFX uses wimagapi from 15063 in his great WinNTSetup (I use imagex.exe from that version as well for UUP direct apply). See here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnNmc1rU9VMAhGfaGtiigOc0BUlV
  8. @JFX - are older version of GWT available for download. The current version appear hardcoded to download the Windows 10.0.16299 version of DISM and dependencies. Whilst the need is not widespread, there may be some instances where it would be useful to download other Windows 10 versions. I believe that these may be coded into some of the previous GWT releases? Misty
  9. Newest Adobe Flash and Shockwave, and Java, too!

@Dave-H Java JRE 8 Update 152 is actually the newest. It appears that 151 and 152 were released on the same day, and that 152 supersedes 151. http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/EOL/jre-8u152-windows-i586.exe or from Duke University: http://faucet.aas.duke.edu/pub/pc/bigfix/patches/java/jre-8u152-windows-i586.exe For some reason the Java archive requires an account, so I would use the above links if you don't have an account.
  10. Installing either 98SE or ME on Compaq Mini CQ10-101SA

Didn't work for me, I just gave up in the end. It's probably too much hassle so I'll set up a VPC 2004 VM at some point ^^ Still, at least I have something nice to write on my blog now.
  11. Yes, that's exactly the Search Companion, although I don't use the dog (Rover IIRC!) I've now determined that this problem does not seem to happen in Safe Mode. The XP Companion is always there. Whether this means that it's nothing to do with the new kernel system files I don't know. Is anyone else, with Windows (Desktop) Search 4.0 installed and activated. seeing this?
  12. Newest Adobe Flash and Shockwave, and Java, too!

Thanks! I'm not subscribed to that thread, so I hadn't seen that. It does look like a compatibility problem of some sort. The install log says - ERROR: Exception with message 'Dll.cpp(48) at Dll::getFunction(): GetProcAddress(D:\WIN-NT\system32\user32, SetProcessDPIAware) failed. System error [127](system error 127 (The specified procedure could not be found))' caught Also, rather less helpfully, I can see - ERROR: Exception with message '' caught I wasn't aware of this happening before, but a post on the other thread says that a modified installer was produced before by blackwingcat (presumably mainly for Windows 2000) so I hope that can be done again this time, if it's only the installer that has a problem and not the Java system itself. I was hoping to unpack the installer and get at the MSI file, but no luck. Fortunately I still had the offline installer for version 8 Update 151, so I've just put that back for the moment.
  13. I don't know if this will help you much, Dave, but I'll let you know my setup. I've had the Search service disabled long ago in an effort to both speed up and secure my pc a little more. However, I do use the Search Dog. Is that the Companion? I forget it's name, but I think that's what you're asking. Anyway, in that configuration, that works for me. I used the lil doggy to help find the ntfs.sys files to swap out after the KB4056615 update.
  14. Newest Adobe Flash and Shockwave, and Java, too!

Hi @Dave-H, I posted about this problem early on Wednesday morning, please see my post and the related comments.
  15. Something very strange has happened to the Search Companion on both my XP machines. If I select Start>Search>For Files or Folders the XP Search Companion comes up as usual, but only once. If I close it and select it again it's reverted to the old-style Windows 2000 looking Search Companion. Once that's happened I can only get the XP one back again by logging off and on again, but again it then only works once. As I said, this is happening on both my XP installations, one of which has only KB4056615 and KB4056941 installed, and the other of which has the Office and .NET updates as well. I do have Windows Search 4.0 installed on both machines. I've checked all the relevant registry settings and they are all fine. I of course had a nasty feeling this was a consequence of installing KB4056615! I uninstalled the updates, but the problem didn't go away. Is this happening for anyone else?
  16. Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

@JodyT , I'm still holding off on January's patches. This month's updates have been a huge mess. I need to transfer a lot of data off my system first, and make a system image , before I'm going to attempt anything. Steve Gibson has just released a handy little tool, InSpectre (portable), you might find interesting. https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm --------------------------- Found another January Server 2008 update, released on the 12th. No mention of it at any of the usual places. Just by chance I was browsing Microsoft Update Catalog earlier, and came across it. I really wish MS would get their act together (Sigh!). Description of the security update for the information disclosure vulnerability in Windows Server 2008: January 12, 2018 https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/4056613/security-update-for-vulnerabilities-in-windows-server-2008 http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=4056613 -Ruan
  17. Why Thank You @BeauH
  18. Fine, I was able to reproduce the problem using the remote desktop, so let see if it helps to fix it
  19. Latest improvement: Added paragraph 8.9 to explain more properly the use of the "Repair this" utility. HTH
  20. Runouce Virus in Windows 7

That virus (actually the whole family of similar viruses) will be *everywhere* on your system, under a zillion different filenames. Try running Combofix following EXACTLY what is suggested here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/450940/system-is-infected-with-the-win32chirbmm-runouceexe-virus-many-programmes-have-been-corrupted/ jaclaz
  21. Server 2012 Updates on Windows 8

I like your thinking greenhillmaniac. And thanks for your feedback dencorso. I'll remain calm
  22. Runouce Virus in Windows 7

Thanks for replying. I have tried removing it using Malwarebytes Anti malware. It removed the virus but when i restarted the pc it came back. Computer is overheating due to the virus and almost every software fails to start. I have scanned the other drives like D, E, F shown the hidden system files it was no where.
  23. Runouce Virus in Windows 7

Well, if it retirns after a (proper) reinstall, it means that *somewhere* it is still there (like on another device on the same lan, the installations files, etc.). The creation of a read only folder might be a "temporary" workaround, still it needs to be understood where it remains resident and kill this possible source of re-infection. jaclaz
  24. Bersaglio - thanks. No wonder my XP machine started spewing steam like a humidifier. (Honey, unplug that and hand me a towel.)
  25. Batch conversion HTML to DOCX

Does it allow batch conversion of html to doc (or docx)? I thought it revolved around PDF's. jaclaz
  26. Check this one too: https://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=1715165&action=filfo It does contain the "athwx.sys", it is seemingly a "just later version", 7.7 and it has a specific entry for "Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter" jaclaz
  27. Server 2012 Updates on Windows 8

Honestly, I think it's good news... No performance loss for Intel CPUs on NT 6.2. Another plus for me
  1. Load more activity