Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Best Hypervisor for Windows 98

I wonder how hard it would be to create unofficial VirtualBox drivers for Windows 9x. VirtualBox (along with the guest additions) is open source, so it should just be a matter of modifying the drivers to use only Windows 98 features. https://www.virtualbox.org/browser/vbox/trunk/src/VBox/Additions/WINNT?order=name
  3. I have ACPI enabled on my computer, so I guess it's already using HLT anyway.
  4. Today
  5. Best Hypervisor for Windows 98

86Box is the new PCem-X.
  6. Windows 98 was the first to support ACPI and HLT. If the support is present but not detected by the OS, it may be enabled manually, see this. With NT systems, Windows 2000 was the first with ACPI support. For NT 4.0, some hardware manufacturers provided custom NTDETECT.COM and HAL.SYS among other things, see this.
  7. Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

Hrm... Because new crap is crappier than old crap, in what regards crapbag 17040, perhaps?
  8. Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

Crap to think about. Why can a 10 year old Dell laptop update to Insider 17040 Windows 10 Pro in about 3 1/2 hours and a Surface laptop that is a lot newer fails to update to 17040?
  9. Many days I haven’t seen this

Inevitable suggestion of commercial compressed file fixer software by a new 1-post-wonder incoming in ... 3 ... 2 ... 1
  10. List of Web Browsers Working with XP 2017

I succeeded in "installing" SlimJet 12 (12.0.1.0) with no OS block or restrictrions, but once installed I get 0xc0000005 errors. I tried to select all to copy and paste the error report contents here, but the window does not allow that. The text file also does not contain the same info: Surely there must be a way to get SlimJet running on XP. Perhaps an API from Windows 7 32 bit? (update 11/17 14:53: here is the link for the portable version if anyone wants to look at the components and source code: https://www.slimjet.com/release/archive/12.0.1.0/sjt7z_x86.exe)
  11. Many days I haven’t seen this

I hate using computer; because of it is only needs only for my complicated job and not every day. However, several days ago I tried opening .rar archive with important information and it didn’t open.
  12. List of Web Browsers Working with XP 2017

This is indeed a great list that has been put together. Well done! <a href="http://pcactivators.com">thanks </a>
  13. diff and ffvpx patch are posted already.
  14. Won't cp/m to old to run jpeg
  15. Best Hypervisor for Windows 98

Did you try PCem-X?
  16. I use AMNHLTM. http://toogam.com/software/archive/drivers/cpu/cpuidle/cpuidle.htm It's a simple VXD file that you install and forget about it. Can't be simpler than that!
  17. There's a link under the word "here" in the quote above... There's another link under the words "page about exFAT" in the quote above... If you search enough, MDGx's page may even have a driver for CP/M...
  18. @dencorso I need exfat for my camera.
  19. I am trying to get diff of src patches.
  20. At present I do recommend just 3 other true hotfixes, the ones marked as hotfix in this post, and the exFAT upgrade (KB955704), which version for XPSP3 has been already pulled by MS, but can still be found here. Moreover, MDGx's (yes he's alive!) enthusiastic page about exFAT is a good read (although I do still prefer either FAT32 or NTFS, a closed proprietary fs like exFAT dos not thrill me at all, as you may imagine). I haven't identified any other which is a true must, besides those. YMMV, of course!
  21. Windows 10 Unattended Guide

Well, WSIM is the program to create XML files. I rarely ever use it, but if you are new to making these types of files, it is the way to go. The only function of WSIM I find particularly useful is the ability to check syntax vs an image. There are some instances where an XML will work fine on the stock DVD, but not work on a custom image. So I wouldn't put WSIM down as a deployment tool in the same way as ICD. ICD is an evolution of the EDT (Express Deployment Tool) and is like an entry level version of MDT. MDT seems to be the good thing to use, but even it and ICD have the same issues to me. They are designed specifically for use in the Enterprise Channel and are not very useful if you are in the OEM Channel due to imaging requirements being different.
  22. Firefox Quantum

I think part of it may have been that I normally block most parts of websites and currently I am not able to do so. Noscript is not yet released for Quantum. Perhaps it not seems slower because it is now actually downloading all those videos and other crap that people put on their websites.
  23. Can't Generate Key

If you are not the advanced user then you should not use any experimental software.
  24. I am using the version roytam1 posted (above) a few days ago, http://o.rthost.cf/gpc/files1.rt/basilisk-55.0.0a1.win32-git-20171111-5201659a8-xpmod.7z Three of the files in it were updated on 13th to fix a bug with file selection. Everything I needed to install was in that archive. There is a diff of source patches there as well, I think
  25. @roytam1 hi can you share your basilik patches?
  26. Compiling Chromium browser for XP

I am going for Firefox 57 . No way to stay on chrome it's really better than any browser I used before.
  27. Roytam1, I have been running the Nov 13th Basilisk Nightly extensively on WinXP x86 SP3. Has been in constant use and I have not seen any problems, except the typical firefox tendency to gradually use more memory as the hours go by. It has been my primary browser for several days. Incredible! Thanks for all you have done for this community b
  1. Load more activity