Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Why Thank You @BeauH
  3. Today
  4. Fine, I was able to reproduce the problem using the remote desktop, so let see if it helps to fix it
  5. Latest improvement: Added paragraph 8.9 to explain more properly the use of the "Repair this" utility. HTH
  6. Runouce Virus in Windows 7

That virus (actually the whole family of similar viruses) will be *everywhere* on your system, under a zillion different filenames. Try running Combofix following EXACTLY what is suggested here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/450940/system-is-infected-with-the-win32chirbmm-runouceexe-virus-many-programmes-have-been-corrupted/ jaclaz
  7. Server 2012 Updates on Windows 8

I like your thinking greenhillmaniac. And thanks for your feedback dencorso. I'll remain calm
  8. Runouce Virus in Windows 7

Thanks for replying. I have tried removing it using Malwarebytes Anti malware. It removed the virus but when i restarted the pc it came back. Computer is overheating due to the virus and almost every software fails to start. I have scanned the other drives like D, E, F shown the hidden system files it was no where.
  9. Runouce Virus in Windows 7

Well, if it retirns after a (proper) reinstall, it means that *somewhere* it is still there (like on another device on the same lan, the installations files, etc.). The creation of a read only folder might be a "temporary" workaround, still it needs to be understood where it remains resident and kill this possible source of re-infection. jaclaz
  10. Bersaglio - thanks. No wonder my XP machine started spewing steam like a humidifier. (Honey, unplug that and hand me a towel.)
  11. Batch conversion HTML to DOCX

Does it allow batch conversion of html to doc (or docx)? I thought it revolved around PDF's. jaclaz
  12. Check this one too: https://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=1715165&action=filfo It does contain the "athwx.sys", it is seemingly a "just later version", 7.7 and it has a specific entry for "Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter" jaclaz
  13. Server 2012 Updates on Windows 8

Honestly, I think it's good news... No performance loss for Intel CPUs on NT 6.2. Another plus for me
  14. Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

I truly believe that Microsoft have lost the plot..... bookie32
  15. windows 7 and cannonlake / 10nm install

I believe this launch of the 10nm CPU also will coincide with a new chipset, which was reported to be the first from Intel for desktop boards to be UEFI only with no Legacy or CSM support. Whenever I get one of these types of boards or notebook in, I can definately try it. For usability reasons, there has been no real requirement that I have seen to need a "latest and greatest" system in terms of CPU or RAM, and Windows 7 can run just fine on even 3-5 year old hardware. My benchmark for requirements are games, so I do not know the requirements for other types of things such as engineering applications, etc.
  16. Server 2012 Updates on Windows 8

At present I think treating it as FUD is the best option. Two of the variants require direct access to the machine to compromise it. The other one is more serious: while Windows (any NT 5.x+ AFAIK) is immune to it, browsers and JavaScript inside them (and maybe Java, too) may not be. So: using safe browsers and up-to-date Java (or no Java), should keep common people safe enough. Big corporations are surely at risk, though, it's a question of cost/benefit ratio, obviously. BTW, I doubt there'll ever be a BIOS update for my IvyBridges... if I had to bet, I'd bet on Intel leting owners of older processors out in the rain. Their rep is tarnished already, you know... Give the attachment below careful consideration, and see whether you agree with me or not.
  17. Server 2012 Updates on Windows 8

Yikes! Should I be worried about this, or treat it like FUD (which is a mindset I usually don't like to subscribe to) Still awaiting a bios update, but it appears HP is taking its sweet time. since it's an old machine, that may not come to pass.
  18. Server 2012 Updates on Windows 8

Yes. And no patches to any x86 Windows yet (or forevermore?).
  19. Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

I posted this over at Windows 8. Do we know if the latest patches prevent being affected by Spectre and Meltdown? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4072698/windows-server-guidance-to-protect-against-the-speculative-execution
  20. Server 2012 Updates on Windows 8

Am I getting this right: that the recent patches for Windows Server 2012 and 2008 do not mitigate the effects of Spectre and Meltdown? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4072698/windows-server-guidance-to-protect-against-the-speculative-execution
  21. Installing either 98SE or ME on Compaq Mini CQ10-101SA

Thanks for the information. I'll look into doing this soon. Should I also add entries for the AR5B95 and AR92785? Also, i need the IDT HD audio codec driver, does this exist for ME?
  22. There are at least two reasons why you can't install the driver. First reason is the inf file is too big. It's about 150 KB. It must be shortened to less than 64 KB! On my systems the files should not bigger than 53 KB. Not needed sections can be deleted. The second is inside the inf there is a reference to a "athwx.sys" file (Installs athwx.sys (NDIS 5 driver) on 9x platforms). This file has apparently been removed. There is only the athw.sys file for NT systems. The most suitable inf file entry is: ATHER.DeviceDesc.3091 = "Atheros AR928x Wireless Network Adapter"
  23. Hi Jumper, a few posts up I reported issues on my system with v17. Have you been able to reproduce these or is is just my setup (again) ??
  24. I don't get any glitches with Aero Glass 1.5.7 on Windows 10 version 1703.
  25. @glnz POSReady 7 (=Windows 7 obviously) has nothing to do with POSReady 2009 P.S. Proper link for You to avoid confusion: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=POSReady+2009
  26. This is really a shame. I wish @bigmuscle could help here with so many of us suffering from these artifact/glitches! I have gotten so sick of these AeroGlass artifacts that, for this first time ever, I decided to downgrade my Windows 10 to version 1703 (RS2) and use the (reliable) AeroGlass v1.5.6. I really hope BigMuscle can work with us to create a new reliable/patched version, Otherwise, I'm just going to sit on the sidelines and wait for the next windows version (Redstone 4). -JT
  27. hi, i was just wondering if there is anyone out there who might want to install windows 7 on a cannonlake system or 10nm architecture ( ice lake for example ) on either a laptop or desktop based system and whether or not it's possible, being that it's a little early to say, i still wanted to talk about it generally, i already researched what ssd i would want to use and how you would have to install it on windows 7, apparently the intel optane ssd 900p which is one of the fastest ssd's in the world with very fast random read 4k qd1 speeds is supported on windows 7 and intel has step by steps on how to install it on windows 7, though im not sure if this will be affected by newer hardware, i dont see why it would. i suppose it might be easier on a desktop, so far its a hypothetical thing for me and i dont know if il do so for either or no, but im still interesting in knowing what obstacles there would be in doing so, apparently there is some unofficial update that bypasses the blocked microsoft thing so that you can still receive updates till 2020 or whenever they stop updating windows 7. there is also the usb 3.0 / 3.1 drivers you have to get and nvme support, one program i downloaded does this but it doesn't mention the optane 900p ssd, i suppose you can just add the hardware id in the inf file? also the program was designed for a certain brand / models i think, though i think it might be universal?
  1. Load more activity