Internet Explorer 7

bdfnj

I am running Internet Explorer 7 on MS Vista Ultimate.

I am now having a problem getting Internet Explorer to connect to the internet. I know that my internet connection is O.K. since I can ping other sites, I can connect to my office via my VPN and my weather program is workign properly and updating as it shoud.

However when I open IE7 and it tries to connect to a website, it says that the website is found, waiting for reply. However nothing happens and it hangs on the page showing that it is connecting.

Up until yesetrday, I did not have any problems, until I tried to install Adobe Acrobat Professional 7.0. That is when this problem started. I have since uninstalled this program and restored my computer back to before this program was installed.

I aslo went into the system configuration center and played with the services and startup programs to see which one of these may be causing the problem. Once I turned off all the services and startup programs, I had no problem connecting. I then tried to figure out if any of the services was causing the problem, but I got Internetr Explorer to work with all services enabled. However, when I did the same experimnents for the startup programs, as soon as I had any startup program activated (does not matter which one) I could no longer get Internet Explorer to connect to the internet.

I am at a loss as to what could be the problem. I have McAfee Security center and disabled all the functionality to see if that would work, but it did not help.

I would appreciate it if anyone could help me with this problem.

I am at a loss as to what could be the problem. I have McAfee Security center and disabled all the functionality to see if that would work, but it did not help.

No guarantees here, and I'm by far not a techy. But, this problem started for me, yesterday as well. So, what happened yesterday that was unusual was McAfee did an update. And I noticed you mention this. So, I started digging in the "system configuration," and if you look under "Services" tab, there's a bunch of McAfee Services. Disable "McAfee Proxy Service"

So, I'm still in shock that it worked for me... Thank god, maybe I can get some work done, now.

• 11 months later...

No guarantees here, and I'm by far not a techy. But, this problem started for me, yesterday as well. So, what happened yesterday that was unusual was McAfee did an update. And I noticed you mention this. So, I started digging in the "system configuration," and if you look under "Services" tab, there's a bunch of McAfee Services. Disable "McAfee Proxy Service"

So, I'm still in shock that it worked for me... Thank god, maybe I can get some work done, now.

Wonderful. I got this issue and I consider myself as a Techie - But your post has solved the problem!!

Here is the problem :

In Vista, Either after the system installs Windows Update patch KB944533 or some McAfee patch, the system disables any browser accessing internet. Other applications will be able to use internet - say, in Command prompt, you can enter PING WWW.YAHOO.COM and the system would get a response(will not timeout). This is how you verify it Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt >

at the blinking cursor, enter PING WWW.YAHOO.COM

You should get a response like this

C:\>ping www.yahoo.com

Pinging www.yahoo-ht3.akadns.net [209.131.36.158] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 209.131.36.158: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=52

Reply from 209.131.36.158: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=52

Reply from 209.131.36.158: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=52

Reply from 209.131.36.158: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 209.131.36.158:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 34ms, Maximum = 38ms, Average = 35ms

This means there IS internet connectivity and the browser is not working. If you diagnose the problem, it comes back with no errors.

Meanwhile you might also get an error " McAfee Proxy Service Module Stops working"

Solution :

1) Upgrade your Mcafee to 2008. There are some posts that tells that this is fixed in 2008 version. You will get it automatically if your subscription is active.

2) This what I tried and it worked for me : Select Windows update and remove the patch KB944533.

Then, right click the command prompt (see earlier - before clicking Command Prompt, right click) and select Run as administrator. (Say Continue if it asks for your permission ). Type services.msc at the prompt

Select McAfee Proxy Service and right click, select properties. In the startup type, select "Disabled" { Caution : now The proxy service is not running and we should fix McAfee asap} Then service status, click Stop. This might also stop another service.

Then I Run the explorer or Firefox and it worked.