Create My Own Recovery Partition?

I did some searching and wasn't able to find a good answer to this (although maybe I could have done it better).

I'm interested in creating my own recovery partition. There's a WinRE environment on a partition in my Dell, and it's got an ImageX (*.WIM). Anyway, I'd like to create my own recovery partition, but there are a couple of things that don't work right.

First, when I extract the image for WinRE using ImageX, the guides are saying that I need to extract image #2 from the boot.wim on my Vista DVD - but there's only one image in there.

I tried it using image #1, and when it boots into it, I get a PE configuration error stating something about a configuration problem - looks like it's trying to boot from x:\Windows instead of X:\$Windows.~BT (or something to that effect).

The other question I have is that Dell's recovery partition had a standard file system on it, and all of the WinRE guides I've read have you create a WIM image of the recovery partition. How can I make it more like this so it's easier to update the image in there?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

IF you follow the instructions that are set out in the WINDOWS OEM Prinstallation KIT (Windows OPK) User's Guide.

They are listed under Walkthrough: Build a Windows Recovery Solution. I have followed this set of instructions and my copy of WinRE works fine. I have also added a Icon to the default menu that launches a copy of ImageX and restores the image to a backup I have contained within the WINRE partition.

I know I am referancing to the OPK docs but I would assume that the same docs are included within the WAIK as there is little difference between them.

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys, i am a noob at this LOL.... but am really interested in making my own vista recovery partition as this would stop me burning countless DVDs with a few more updates and then a month l8a a few more updates come along; so then i got to write more dvds off.... but what if i cud create a recovery part an just update when needed that wud be great....

so what can some people help a begginer starting from scratch with absolutely no clue here.... i have the vista OS but i'd like to use CD version which i have ultra vista cd version os..

• 2 weeks later...

i want in too

i'm stuck at booting with winPE...i have no idea what do to next and i've gone through the reading material over and over again

maybe i've skipped something important?

same goal as the people above,

HP harddrive came with 2 partitions:

1 OS

1 recovery console

trying to duplicate it because HP refuses to do it for me when for some reason the recovery partition got corrupted

I am also trying to have my own recovery partion. Howver, I would like to use the DELL provided one.

I just got a new DELL and the first thing I want to do is create a new WIM with all the applications installed and replace the original WIM on the recovery partition.

I found the Factory.wim file on the recovery partition and want to upgrade/replace the WIM file with a new (32 bit OS /w applications) image.

I have extracted the image ("imageX.exe /extract d:dell\image\Factory.wim 1 e:\Factory.wim") and I am currently trying to mount the image using "imageX.exe /mount e:\Factory.wim 1 e:\image" but to no avail.

All I get is:

----------------

ImageX Tool for Windows

Copyright © Microsoft Corp. 1981-2005. All rights reserved.

Mounting: [E:\image\newfile.wim, 1] ->

[E:\tmp]

Error mounting image:

The system cannot find the file specified.

----------------

I am running the cmd as Administrator.

SOLVED mounting problem.:

I forgot to install the "wimfltr.inf" found in the same folder as the imageX.exe file.

Now I can see the image.

Edited by redjoy

• 4 months later...

hey guys,

No one followed up on this project?

I too need/want to create a recovery partition b/c the one that came with my dell got corrupted. Also, I am using a different hard drive and want to recreate the structure I had with the original dell drive.

Goal:

1st partition - dell diagnostics tools (55Mb) - 0DE

2nd partition - OS (Vista) - 07h

3rd partition - Data storage. - 07h

4th partition - RECOVERY (winRE + wim image and custom recovery options) 07h

Problems:

- cannot figure out how to get to invoke/boot the diagnostics partition (I don't want to use the cd)

- cannot figure out how to add my own option to the recovery menu... (although I'll look into the OPK as I have been using the AIK with no luck). - thanks for that info robbo101.

- since I lost the original dell recovery partition I wonder if any one has this partition intact in order to share the info in it. In particular the "Tools" Folder. It has some dell programs that I would like to be able to run when recovering.

So far:

- when pressing F12 I get two menus:

1. boot options:

HDD, CD/DVD Drive, USB, etc

2. Options:

Set up (BIOS)

Diagnostic Utility Partition <- not working... error: no boot disk. (partition was also lost in the OEM)

Hard Drive diagnostics <- don't know what it does or how but it keeps on saying that my HD failed. But it is working fine.

- When pressing F8 the "Repair your computer" options is no longer there.

although I have been able to restore the option by following the WAIK WinRE guide, it doesn't boot

- I have lost the Recovery partition from the oem dell installation. I don't have the factory image or any other dell utilities installed in it. (not sure if I terribly need it but I sure would like to have it back. Dell won't help me.)

Achievements:

- been able to create a winPE bootable CD. But I want a bootable Partition running winRE

- was able to recreate the dell diagnostic partition but it won't boot (when partition active, or via the F12 menu)

- was able to install winRE using mixed guides (winRE and winPE) but it won't boot. ( I may be able to fix this today thanks to robbo101 by following only the OPK guide. I'll post back)

- was able to install winPE bootable partition, but this is different than winRE. I rather have a winRE boot

- was able to boot winPE using easyBCD/VistaProBCD and setting it as a second boot. I rather have the option via the recovery menu (F12) "Recover your computer".

Notes:

- While goodells.net site is of great interest and assistance. It doesn't apply to this case as it he doesn't deal with dell machines with vista installed. (I was able to recreate the dell diag partition though, thanks Del!)

Things like Ctrl+F11, DSRfix do not apply here.

- I have the Vista DVD install and the Dell diagnostics CD and a bootable winPE CD. However I want to have these options via the hard drive so that I can store the discs. I also would like to customize it!

- Sorry for the long post. You guys are my last resort. :(

Suggestions, ideas, guides, links. Anything people! Anything would help.

Thanks so much in advanced.

tGQ

Dell Dimension 9200c

Vista Ultimate

750GB-HDD

Original HDD was 149GB:

1st Partition: 55M (hidden, type: 0DE "dellUtilities")

2nd Partition: 138GB (Drive c: Type 07h "OS" - Vista)

3rd Partition: 10GB (Drive d: Type 07h "Recovery")

**** how can I get a hold of the windows OPK since I am not a registered organization. I'm just.. me. (personal use)?... I'm registered now!

Edited by trinitegq

you would be far easier getting acronis trueimage and backing up partition to dvd or second hard drive and recovering all the space the the dell partiitions use.

you would be far easier getting acronis trueimage and backing up partition to dvd or second hard drive and recovering all the space the the dell partiitions use.

Thanks for your reply. You are right. It is easier to use acronis for OS imaging. I have used this in the past and I quite like it. However, I don't want to depend on disks. I much rather have the ability to run diagnostic utilties and other options under winRE aside from redeploying an image running from HDD.

I also don't want to take the easy way. I want to be able to recreate the dell set up on a new hard drive. The space it takes makes little difference. I was also running Norton Ghost 14 but again, I would like to have a utility partion and a recovery partion booting from hard drive. I think it's pretty cool and easier than having to run cd/dvd's. This is why most vendors are selling their pcs/laptops with hard drive recovery partitions.

I'm also looking into vistaPE and bartPE. For now I just want to recreate the dell factory set up on a new hard drive.

Thanks for any further suggestions!

Besides the thread previously referenced, about WinRE, check this one:

http://www.msfn.org/board/System-recovery-...ion-t84411.html

I guess that you can use the grub4dos PARTNEW and/or map --in-situ features to re-map the "DE" partition if needed.

Some reference:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=3287&st=50

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Besides the thread previously referenced, about WinRE, check this one:

http://www.msfn.org/board/System-recovery-...ion-t84411.html

I guess that you can use the grub4dos PARTNEW and/or map --in-situ features to re-map the "DE" partition if needed.

Some reference:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=3287&st=50

jaclaz

jaclaz, excellent info. Thanks. I think PARTNEW might just be the help I need to recreate the DE partition and be able to boot from it. I'll look into it.

Does anyone know how the f12 key on a dell pc w/vista works. It doesn't seem to be dependant on MBR or for that matter anything on the drive. I changed the OEM drive and I still can bring that function up. It doesn' work thought, but the menu is there. I wonder how to modify it.

Does anyone know how the f12 key on a dell pc w/vista works. It doesn't seem to be dependant on MBR or for that matter anything on the drive. I changed the OEM drive and I still can bring that function up. It doesn' work thought, but the menu is there. I wonder how to modify it.

It's in BIOS, nothing much you can do about it, unless you want to start fiddling with BIOS, NOT, and I mean NOT recommended, you could end up with an unbootable system and need even a replacement BIOS !

jaclaz

It's in BIOS, nothing much you can do about it, unless you want to start fiddling with BIOS, NOT, and I mean NOT recommended, you could end up with an unbootable system and need even a replacement BIOS !

jaclaz

got it!

I wouldn't want to risk that. How about figuring out where the F12 menu options point to and thus arrange it accordingly in the drive?