XP source in 2nd partition of USB drive?

agni

Using dummydisk.sys i created 2 partitions on my usb drive.

How do I keep the xp source files in the 2nd partition instead of the first partition of the usb?

AFAIK a way has not been found.

Maybe if you use grub4dos to hide the first partition (temporarily)? :unsure:

jaclaz

Can't we load dummydisk.sys during txt mode part of xp setup to see the 2nd partition of usb?

NO.

Actually, when you use a hard disk, (which is already seen as "fixed" and thus allow you for more than one partition) a reversed dummydisk.sys is used to make the hard disk appear as removable, as otherwise the windows setup won't work.

A possible workaround, NOT a solution, is in the works here:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7138

Nothing working (yet ;)) but maybe in a few days.... :rolleyes:

jaclaz

The question is what's your goal having 2 partitions ?

What I did 20 minutes ago: create 2 partitions (Fat16) on my stick with Ranish Partition Manager (running DOS). Set the 2nd one active AND numbered as "1" (this is the trick), the 1st one numbered as 2.

From there you can install USB_Multiboot and install XP with it. I did it and it worked, without hiding the 1st one.

Doing that, the only partition visible in Windows is the 2nd one, hence my first question.

All Ranish operations can be reverted in less than a minute.

All Ranish operations can be reverted in less than a minute.

Yep. :thumbup

....manually editing the partition table. :whistle:

In the linked to thread we are experimenting to have these changes made automatically from grub4dos at boot time.

Only thing user needs to remember doing is to chose the right menu.lst entry when booting, then, after install, re-boot and choose again the right menu.lst entry to revert....

jaclaz

In the linked to thread we are experimenting to have these changes made automatically from grub4dos at boot time.

This is beyond me, I only considered my method as an instant workaround, even if a bit risky.

This is beyond me, I only considered my method as an instant workaround, even if a bit risky.

Well, like "Doc" Brown in Back to the future:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088763/quotes

Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?
The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?

:thumbup

jaclaz