Unattended XP SP2 : Directx 9.0c problem

Hello,

here's my problem (sorry for my english)

i noticed that after i have installed my Unattended WinXP SP2, when i run "dxdiag" to open the DirectX 9.0c options/diagnostics, i have a problem with the file "directx.cpl" which is too old and can be source of problem (that's written as a problem).

in fact this is the cause of another pb : the game The Sims 2 doesn't want to start because of this (i think, i'll explain just after that).

i think that's it, because i formatted and reinstalled a clean Windows XP without any unattended/reg tweaks/service pack, 2-3 hours ago.

after that, i updated my clean WinXP with the SP2, and went back to "dxdiag" to see that the "directx.cpl" file isn't there anymore !

that's strange i think. how the directx9.0c of an SP2 unattended XP can be different of the directx9.0c version of the same SP2 but updated for a clean XP ??

if i remember correctly, the directx.cpl version in directx9.0c (for the unattended SP2 XP) was 2600.1126 instead of 2600.2180 but i'm not sure of this.

and now in the clean WinXP updated with SP2, i don't have any problem anymore, and "directx.cpl" isn't listed anymore in the list of directx files.

thx in advance.

ask me if that not clear, i know it's not perfect :blushing: .

Well, I did a format/reload about a month ago (give or take) with a slipstreamed SP2 and I don't find any directx.cpl file at all.

did you splitstreamed the XP SP2 using a tool such nLite 0.98, or manualy, please ?

i made it manually, and i had this pb.

i'll try to rebuild my ISO this afternoon using nLite 0.98.

why i had this "directx.cpl" file in DxDiag, which is problematic ?

so i tested it.

the problem is still there :}

my graphic card (a radeon 9800 /w directx 9.0c installed and XP SP2, Catalyst 4.9) is not compatible DirectX 9.0c.

i can't play the game.

it seems that i'm not the only one who have this problem.

and the sims 2 is the only game which cause a problem.

thx if you can help me.

• 1 month later...

Well, I think MS pulled a fast one on a few people, because DX 9.0c DOESN'T come with XP SP2, at least not in my experience. I have XP Pro, SP2 and I CANNOT install DirectX 9.0c. I'm unsure whether is't because I have XP Pro or because I was in the SP2 Beta. Either way, there are a few games which will not run because of it. I have had this happen on 2 games I purchased in the past week: Sims2 and Star Wars Battlefront.

Both exhibit the same problems: The game complains that DX 9.0c is required, then when I'm asked to install it, I get a DX dialog that simply states "The components installed are now ready for use" but DXDiag shows I still have DX 9.0b.

Anyone have any insight?