SP2 and Post-SP2 Hotfixes CD Project

DLF

This is an uA Windows thread, but not of quite the usual nature, but its still "unattended windows" so I hope no-one flames me for being in the wrong forum as I feel this could be a useful CD for anyone to have in their toolbox.

I have a very, very large number of machines to update from basic XP or XPSP1. They are not networked - so I cant use MS S.U.S. - but individual machines. I'm trying to make a CD-R that will autorun, install SP2, restart, install ALL the post-SP2 hotfixes to date and restart again.

I asked in the RyanVM forum if his V104 cabfile was in a state as to be useable for this task, as that would have been an ideal solution, but it ain't. So thanks to Leviathan's excellent work/help I am almost there with this CD. Some other members of this forum have also kindly offered to help me if I start a thread, so I have attached the "project" in a txt file for anyone interested to d/l - view - and adapt to get me "over the last hurdle".

Once complete I feel this could be a useful project/CD for any sysadmin to have in his armoury - not just me - where a reformat is not possible (in my case due to customer req). It could also of course be simply kept updated. Final instructions will of course be posted for anyone interested.

TIA Cartoonite et al.

Edit 1: 26 Dec 04

1. There are 18 "KB-hotfixes" listed on RyanVM site which I have used as a source for reference, and I make it now 19 in total with the new Firewire one (KB885222). Anyone else suggest any missed?

2. For all those who have asked I have all the fixes in redist form for anyone who wants them to experiment with, to save searching and d/l yourselves. Just P.M. me with your email address and I'll mail them complete or any missing ones. 1 X 16.5mb rar (or 2 X 8mb rars, whatever). Or d/l full rar here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.wagstaff...p2_hotfixes.rar

3. The WMPlayer hotfix is version-specific, so the "final" CD will have to install V10 as a prerequisite. (It is also dependent on DirectX 9.0c but as this is an integral part of SP2 this is covered).<edited by DLF 27/12/04

WMPlayerV10 link for full d/l http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...d/download.aspx

4. Link for the cdtxt.txt file that uses the FOR command http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.wagstaff1/CDTXT.txt (with respect and thanks to the original supplier who I do not know, so can't credit).

Summary: Looks like we are running with Alanoll's excellent RunOnceEx "prototype" now adapted to include SP2 full, WMP10, all the post-SP2 Hotfixes to date and as many restarts as you think necessary (none? one at end? I need advice on this?) All on 1 completely unattended CD-r(w).

SP2_and_POST_SP2_HOTFIX_CD.txt

Sorry DLF, it's taking me a while to get to this. :}

It does look like you have most of it already done though. Hopefully I will have some time to take a closer look over the holiday weekend. The last couple days I've been too sleep-deprived to do something as simple as eay my breakfast coherently, nevermind attempting actual creativity.

Quick question:

...install SP2, restart, install ALL the post-SP2 hotfixes to date and restart again.

Is the restart between installing SP2 and the hotfixes necessary or can we safely leave this step out? I do plan on testing this when I get the chance, but it would save me some work if someone already has a definite answer.

is the problem simply that you have don't know how to get the system to Install SP2, then restart then Install the hotfixes without having you call each script manually?

here's a suggestion...

use RunOnce or RunOnceEX.

Bare in mind this can be done any number of ways, but I'm saying this to be simple...

[Autorun]
open=SP2Install.cmd
label=SP2 Auto Install

In SP2Install.cmd

@echo off 
cls
title Installing Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Prepping for Hotfixes

Echo.
Echo Prepping for Hotfixes
SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Hotfix Installation" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "Launching Install Script" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%systemroot%\hotfix.cmd" /f

copy /Y hotfix.cmd %systemroot%\hotfix.cmd

echo.
echo Installing Windows XP Service Pack 2
start /wait SP2\WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe /U /O /N

Then have your hotfix script saved as hotfix.cmd in the root of the CD (or if you prefer whereever and change the copy path)

But add this to the TOP of your batch script

IF EXIST D:\CD.txt set CDROM=D:
IF EXIST E:\CD.txt set CDROM=E:
IF EXIST F:\CD.txt set CDROM=F:
IF EXIST G:\CD.txt set CDROM=G:
IF EXIST H:\CD.txt set CDROM=H:
IF EXIST I:\CD.txt set CDROM=I:
IF EXIST J:\CD.txt set CDROM=J:

Continue as far as you want. There is a FOR loop someone posted to do this in one line, but anyways....

Then at the beginning of each of your hotfix calls fix the path to

start /wait %CDDRIVE%\Updates\msrdpcli.exe /Q:A /R:N

(I just appended %CDDRIVE%\ to your hotfix line. You will need to do this for the rest)

And now the explanation...

Autorun.inf will execute SP2install.cmd on CD.

SP2Install.cmd will then import the necessary entries for the hotfix batch to run (the lines starting with REG).

It will then copy your hotfix batch to %systemroot% (C:\Windows usually)

Then SP2Install.cmd then will execute the SP2 network install. If it doesn't restart the system automatically, then add a shutdown command

shutdown.exe -r -f -t 60 -c "Windows XP will now restart in 1 minute, this will give enough time for the shortcuts to update and for the shell to fully load before its ready to restart!"

Change the -t to the time you want it to delay, and the stuff in quotes to what you want the box to say while it's counting down.

Upon restart, hotfix.cmd will then execute via RunOncEX. It will first find the CDROM drive that the CD is in (be sure to create CD.TXT in the root or edit the IF EXIST to a different file)

Then it will run through installing everything.

After that you may need to restart, but that should just about do it for ya.

maybe is a stupid question or probably i'm missing something...

why don't you slipstream sp2 and post-sp2 hotfixes into your sp1 xp cd (with nlite for example) and then with that cd update all your machines...?

he can't reformat the systems?

From the sound of it, he's either a system admin wanting to do upgrades without reformatting, or a service tech that can't reformat client systems.

@et al Thanks for looking at this for me.

@cartoonite, restart is only necessary because i assumed (prob incorrectly) it would be needed. I you think we can leave it out, leave it out by all means.

@simomsays, customer req that cant re-install or reformat, all indiv machines, not networked. Yes if I could reformat they'd all have been done by now!

@alanoll, great work, will review later.

xmas eve, 07:18hrs in morn here, got to go into work now, be back later.

many thanks.

I thought you could create an administrative install point for SP2, then integrate Post-SP2 hotfixes into it?

If you can do that, then you can burn the administrative install point to a CD and have a cmd script install from that.

Removes the need to reformat computer and removes the need to restart more than once.

Kinda going on what Alanoll said but I have a twist...

Ya know what be simple at least to me. I've done it and know it work's.

Runoncex

First thing is install SP2 and it will reboot and when it comes back up runoncex picks up where it left off. I found that out with EZantivirus and also Visual Basic. Both reboot the PC. No special anything it just happen's.

IF EXIST D:\CD.txt set CDROM=D:
IF EXIST E:\CD.txt set CDROM=E:
IF EXIST F:\CD.txt set CDROM=F:
IF EXIST G:\CD.txt set CDROM=G:
IF EXIST H:\CD.txt set CDROM=H:
IF EXIST I:\CD.txt set CDROM=I:
IF EXIST J:\CD.txt set CDROM=J:

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
REG DELETE %KEY% /f
REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Windows SP2 and All Post Hotfixes" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\100 /VE /D "Windows SP2 w/Reboot" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\100 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe /passive /forcerestart /f" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\110 /VE /D "Remote Desktop Client 5.2.3790.0 (Will Require User Input)" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\110 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\start /wait Updates\msrdpcli.exe /Q:A /R:N" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\120 /VE /D "Windows Journal Viewer" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\120 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\start /wait Updates\winjournalviewer.exe" /f

rundll32.exe iernonce.dll,RunOnceExProcess
EXIT

Wanna know all the options available to SP2 at prompt type SP2.exe /? but I assume you know that. /passive will only show progress bar and the /f is Force other programs to shutdown when reboot.

Alanoll's excellent RunOnceEx "prototype"

meh, it's what I came up with in 5 minutes...

Now as for including DX9c, you shouldn't have to if the Admin uses SP2, which sooner or later most will be, hopefully.

So since the update, do you have any further questions?

@ Alanoll

My error, as the CD will first install SP2, DirectX 9.0c will automatically be installed as its an integral part of SP2. :rolleyes:

(I mistakely thought 9.0b was part of SP2).

I have re-edited opening thread, sorry all.

@un4given1

You really are unforgiven! Had a look at your code and it might as well have been written in martian. You're a clever man, but I personally couldnt even begin to adapt that even for English. Sorry, its way too tech for me.

@RaveRod

No I didnt know you could do the /A switch with SP2. Have you got time to either PM me or better yet, post back with instructions on how to integrate all the Hotfixes into it? As this could be another useful angle to to look at this project with.

@maxXPsoft

Thanks for the restart tip, I will see if it works (on this project) once I burn a prototype.