Windows 2000 "Hotstream" Project

Gurgelmeyer

Hi everyone

If you like Windows 2000 please read on ;)

I was very disappointed (but not suprised) to learn, that Microsoft did not release Service Pack 5 for Windows 2000. So I decided to actually do something about it: for the past months I've been collecting Windows 2000 hotfixes from everywhere, and - not counting the security updates on WU - I got a total of 168 hotfixes. Good for me, eh? Not really. Deploying or integrating 168 hotfixes is a nightmare beyond belief. And doing this the documented way, Windows 2000 Pro won't even fit on a CD anymore. So I've spent most of my spare time writing a hotfix repacking tool (code name Hotstream). With this tool I can combine all 168 hotfixes into a single hotfix - fully automated. It's not just a matter of determining file versions, there's much more to it.

Anyway, the 168 hotfixes take up 218 MB, and the combined version takes up only 30 MB.

But I need YOUR help to get the last 32 hotfixes before this Unofficial Windows 2000 Post-SP4 package is complete. (Microsoft are sick and tired of having me on the phone all the time, so I won't be able to get any more hotfixes for some time).

If you wanna help me, let me know in a PM ! It won't cost you anything but a few minutes of your time.

Best,

Gurgelmeyer

:)

post-35-1107218866_thumb.jpg

It sound interresting. I am interresting in updating my W2K CD & your idea look promising.

but first, I think you have to attach a file in which you state the updates you have integrated in Hotstram Project. B)

And since I am a french user I hope you explain how did you do that to help us create other languages of Hotsteam

Coool, your Idea is wonderful

I'm not sure but hasn't Microsoft put a roll-up package out for Beta on this? If that is the case then your life should be a lot easier. Of course, the package is probably going to be the size of a Service Pack when it's all over with. Then the trimming can commence.

Microsoft will only do a Security Rollup with very few non-security hotfixes included. If only they would include all hotfixes (making it a non-cumulative SP) I would be very happy.

Well, here's the complete list of hotfixes included in my update:

Edit: no need for this list anymore

I don't want to mention the ones I miss (except in a PM), because I don't want Microsoft to know. Also, together the above hotfixes replace a lot more hotfixes.

I could easily build non-english packages as well - but I only have the english versions of the hotfixes at the moment.

Best,

Gurgelmeyer

www.autopatcher.com,

but nice work tho, keep it up

Thanks B)

I know autopatcher, but it does not include all these updates. Also, some of the hotfixes in AP have been reposted/refreshed by Microsoft. AP mostly got the old versions. And finally, many of the updates I have are released after AP 2000.

But I did get two (2) of the hotfixes above from AP :)

Have you checked out my method of integrated the hotfixes?  All you have to do is drop the various hotfixes in a folder and run the cmd file.  It will slipstream any hotfix you have. 

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=32125

This is extremely interesting! I am definately going to try it.

I am thinking about doing an "Option Pack" for 2K containing IE6, WMP9, DX9C, MSXML2-4, MDAC 2.8, .NET FW 1.1, etc etc. :)

Gurgelmayer,  this is not dis-courage you or something.....

But I hope you do know of the official Win2k post SP4 update roll-up ?

It has all of these and more, and beta1 is out!

@Gurgelmeyer

Please don't listen to prathapml

tommyp method for slipstreaming IE6SP1 works great but only replace IE5, OE & WAB but what about the others components update...

Let me know if you need help and some infos. If i could help you, i would be the unofficial number one supporter of your project.

Although M$ should release a rollup package, i prefer to learn by myself with help of others how to update my favorite OS.

tommyp - I think Bilou is referring to all the hotfixes :)

As mentioned I'm planning an "option pack" too - but that's a seperate project, although I'm probably going to reuse the update.exe installer and wrap it up as a traditional hotfix.

Apart from using Microsoft's own update.exe I also use the sfxcab.exe. My only problem is the /integrate option. /integrate fails because I include more than one security catalog. But it's more efficient to manually slipstream my Post-SP4 Update 2.0 (soon 3.0) anyway.

Greetings

Gurgelmeyer B)