iTunes 5, Localized with no quicktime...

seapagan

UPDATED 15th Jan 2006 : Added iTunes Version 6.0.2.23 :)

Here is the latest version of iTunes, with quicktime removed as before for those who use the QT alternative. I have also completely stripped out all language files except english, so it's not suitable for any other languages. Tested with the latest version of QT-Alt.

Important : iTunes Version 6.0.2.23 needs QT 7.0.4 or greater (or the latest QT-Alt). This must currently be installed before iTunes is installed, otherwise you will get a (non fatal but annoying for unattended installs) error. Version 5.0.1 Will work with any 7.x.x version, and QT can be installed before or after iTunes. The latest version of QT-Alternative is also compatible with both iTunes 5 & 6.

Edit : It seems the silent install method hides the QT error, so you can install the Silent Installer version without ANY QT installed and it will not fail. Just remember to install QT or QT-alt before trying to run it.

I have stopped using RapidShare for the new version, since some people have problems with that, so both 7z and silent installs are now stored on MegaUpload.

Note, for the silent install this time I have used a custom installer 'stub' to replace the batch file (so no cmd box visible or flashing). Please let me know if anyone has any problems. I will eventually release a util that will run cmd/bat files silently without compiling them, specifically for use in silent installers.

I will state once again, if you un-install any previous versions of iTunes, ALWAYS reboot before installing the new versions - this causes 99% of all problems with this release (and the original apple installer). Thanks :)

Standard Versions.

Version 6.0.2.23: Get it from MegaUpload or RapidShare- 7z file, 8,309,937 Bytes.

Version 5.0.1: Get it from Rapidshare - 7z file, 7217055 Bytes.

Silent Versions.

Version 6.0.2.23 : From Megaupload or RapidShare

(Installs for All users, adds Desktop Shortcut, iTunes is not made default media player)

Version 5.0.1 : From RapidShare (Provided by RikGale)

Note : the 7z version is not a silent installation, just 'slimmed-down'. If you want a silent install of this version, use the one above.

As usual, let me know of any problems please.

SP

Edited by seapagan

@canuckerfan:

Yes, that's right. Run the .exe file, this is the original iTunes installer. I quess it will support all of the normal switches like the last verison too, for silent etc.

@all:

If you are not using the 'Bonjour' (apparently part of air-tunes and music sharing) it can be safely disabled from the services panel in windows. I set it to 'disabled', run iTunes and no complaint. It will not try to run it either, just wants it installed. Maybe I'll modify the installer so it installs but not register the service. See later.

SP.

I just wanted to say awesome job...I hope its understood that my posts werent meant in any way to deter you from making this for us all

SIDE NOTE: just wondering since you removed the extra languages in this if you could possibly take on quicktime.msi? I tried removing the languages and get some error about QTComponents not being accessible, without removing any language, I can get the 7z file down to 9.5mb (not bad!)...Wonder if iTunesSetup.exe could be used with Quicktime...Ill prolly try in a few minutes and see what happens, it really should just be a loader that does whatever setup.ini tells it to do. Wellllll, that works, itunessetup.exe is just a loader but somehow the mst comes into play because it errors out saying it cant access the temp directory...I may look at the mst and see what I can figure out...but honestly if I could just get the languages removed, that would be awesome.

Edited by evilvoice

@evilvoice:

1st, thanks for the comments! :hello:.

I didn't take any of your posts in any way other than constructive advice / information - which is always welcome.

This is the problem that you are having, in the Setup.ini :

[QuickTime.msi]
Type=1
Location=QuickTime.msi
[Setup.bmp]
Type=1
[ISScript.msi]
Type=1
Location=ISScript11.Msi

The 'Type=1' tells the installer that the files are compressed internally to the exe file, so it should uncompress to a temp location. However, since we have the files in the dir, this aint gonna work. Change all instances of 'Type=1' above to 'Type=0' and the setup runs. I have not got much further in the install, i'll do it in a VM so as not to screw up my QT-Alt installation.

Regarding the msi, I think that if you are on the default english install, the mst is not needed since the msi (as far as the install data goes) is english localised anyway. Otherwise, use Orca to load the mst, and then save the transformed file (you may lose the internal Data1.cab file which is embedded in the msi though, so export that first using whichever tool you prefer).

Edit : I'll take a look at the msi later on today, see if I can localize it.

SP.

Edited by seapagan

wow dude...youre really good at this...that was the error I was having...although I only have a msi file, nothing else...well now that we can use the 270KB itunessetup.exe, I have the msi, exe, ini, and language stuff, Im prolly gonna remove the isscript11.msi since itunes already has one. Well, now to go back and test the install. *Well, looks like isscript11.msi MUST exist, so thats in there too...but it seems to be working with an extracted msi (used wininstallLE to expand the msi)

Edited by evilvoice

Heh, Thanks :D.

The (eg) 1033.mst file is responsible, at least, for the licence agreement - I applied the transform during installation :

QuicktimeSetup.exe /v"TRANSFORMS=1033.mst"

Note: the 'QuicktimeSetup.exe' is a renamed version of the 269kb iTunes setup stub, not the full 32Mg installer.

Good Luck :)

SP.

hmm, well it seems using winstallLE is not a good method for editing the msi...I would appreciate it if you could take a stab at it...I could package up what I have so far and put on rapidshare...virtual install is what I am using...I dont think that would be a problem because I cant think of anything QT would install that would require a real machine (itunes has a check for whether you have a cdr or not...i think, since there are about 6 gear* files but not all of them get installed)

I use only Orca to mess with msi files - it's pretty low-level access and easier to control the final msi, however it is more convoluted to use. Also, MsiDB.exe from the MSI SDK to get at the cab files.

I started taking a look at the msi / cab, and got it down to about 217 files less. Still more to do, I'll take a look later on. Today is my 'one-year-closer-to-death' day, so I may not be in any fit state to touch a computer later on. Hmm. memo to oneself - hide the modem b4 going out! :whistle:

SP

Edited by seapagan

Happy one-day-closer-to-retirement day(assuming the governmenet doesn't up retirement age)

Have a cracking time!!

P.S.

Here is a 7-zip installer for Seapagan files that are posted on the main page. This installer with not install a desktop icon and will make itself the defualt player, and it is in english only. When I work out how to disable taskes using batch script (disabling Bonjour) I shall update the installer, hope this is ok Seapagan?

LINK currentely not working due to errors will replace ASAP

@evilvoice & rikgale:

Thanks :thumbup. Not a bad nite, still capable of typing, lol.

@evilvoice:

I created earlier an english only version of Quicktime, got the msi down from 25 meg to 16. This also knocks about 20Mb out of the installed version. Problem is, as usual, since all the localized files are so similar to the normal ones they compress very well - so there is very little diference in sizes once compressed into a silent installer - I think it was about 15Mb final size after 7z. So, if you want this version let me know and I'll post it tomorrow.

@rikgale:

Thanks for doing the installer, no problems from me - I'll put a link in the main topic.

The code you are looking for to stop and disable the bonjour service on XP in a batch / script is :

sc stop "bonjour service"
sc config "bonjour service" start= disabled

Note the space before 'disabled' - that needs to be there.

This stops then disables the service. Dunno if that works on other os's, than XP though.

You can always stop a service using the 'NET' command on most os's but it will start again at boot:

net stop "bonjour service"

SP.

Edited by seapagan

@seapagan

Glad to hear that you had a good night, although still being able to type shows that you did not imbibe enough alcohol based fluid.

Thanx for the batch code, saves me a lot of searching today. I'll see if I can get it to work now. Will post back later.

@seapagan PROBLEMS!!!!

Yep there is a problem with the files that are posted in the first page, which consiquentley means that the install in the Rapidshare link doesn't work.

I'll explain. I tried a full test run this morning with the silent installer based on your 5.0 slimed rar files and spent ages trying to figure out why. After numerious unsuccessful attempts at rebuilding the installer, I was on the verge of giving up for a bit when I decided to not bother with the installer and just run iTunessetup on a clean VMWare install. I got this error.

post-35375-1126348574_thumb.jpg

I uninstalled iTunes5.0 on my proper machine (which I installer using the full 32Mb installer) so I could test on a machine with the most upto date version of QT installed and I got the same error when I installed using the files from the RAR files in the 1st post!! Using the version that I trimed myself (the 12Mb on metioned in the other post) it worked. So somewhere in the work of slimming it down even more things have gone of the rails, any ideas?

EDIT: my other notice it that there is no Data1.cab in the original (32mb) installer?!?! So why is it asking for it now. Seems odd to say the least.

Edited by rikgale