[Urgent] Exchange 2003 SP1 added to 2003 domain and 98 cannot log on

tarquel

Hi all

Really desperate on this one as I cant get any of the windows 98 SE clients to log on to the 2003 domain.

Its been like this all day today and yesterday.

the day before that, I attached a new 2003 SP1 server to the domain - to be a exchange 2003 email box - and then after running through the check list, i installed exchange - had a quick look and a play, then installed the SP1 for exchange.

I noticed incidentally that when exchange was installing, it was updating the AD schema - which, to me, looks like it could be the reason but what i need to adjust to reverse the problem, i just cant find :(

I've reconfigured the DNS a few times and checked the Policy [config.pol] for the 98 PC's - which looks as it should do. Because the 98 machines are so locked down, I've used a reg reset on one of the 98 pc's, so that I am not "required to log on to access the computer" , but it all looks fine.

Can anyone suggest what I need to look at? Has something been changed by default when installing Exchange [or Exchange SP1]? In the GPO and/or on the way the server communicates with the client pc's?

Any thoughts would really help right now as I dont want to have to start a paid incident with microsoft.

Cheers

Nath

Not at work now so cant tell you the error message exactly but it is something like "The network cannot authenticate your user name. ...."

Yes, I've always installed the DSClient installed since I got server 2003 and setup the domain a year ago.

Has been workig fine until I added exchange 2003 [and the exch 2003 SP1] to the system.

It looks like i have no choice but to wipe all the machines and setup XP Pro on them all - licenses will come to about £1k :( They are powerful enough to cope with but they will be fairly slow tho but at least they'll work lol

The urgency is that there is a parents evening for next years new first year - and it aint gonna look good if half the pc's in the school dont work. Budgets are tight [in case you are wondering why we didnt upgrade them all to XP Pro already].

If there is a solution, I'd rather hear about it tho - as the parent's evening is Tuesday night [GMT timezone lol] - but it aint looing hopeful.

cheers

N.

Ahh a handy reminder thanks

I probably used it when I setup server 2003 and domain over a year ago now - the link got lost of course as usually happens.

Maybe exchange schema update has reset these points - and I just need to follow the info in that link again perhaps.

I'll give it a go thanks but any other suggestions are welcome :)

Cheers

Nath