Is HFSLIP RIS Friendly?

InTheWayBoy

I've seen HFSLIP around, but never really looked into until recently. I think I like the idea, but I was wondering if anyone has used this on a RIS image. As I understand it various files get compressed and uncompressed or even left out entirely when you make a RIS image from a source. This can cause a ton of problems, and I'm wondering if HFSLIP will fall prey to that as well?

To give an example, it may be file.ex_ (Compressed) in the source, but in the RIS image it's file.exe (Uncompressed)...so any scripts that reference file.ex_ won't fly.

Or, could I run HFSLIP on the RIS image after it's been created...but still similar issues with file names occur.

We use RIS exclusively, so I don't want to waste too much time on this if it is a known issue. I tried searching this sub-forum for RIS but came up with nothing. Still, it's got a lot of good base knowledge so I think I may tinker with it...thanx in advance!

Here the result of my 1st attempt:

Windows Server 2003, Web Sp1 - build 1830 - English (United States)

nLited [v1.0 RC1] to remove some components (.NET Framework 1.1, WMP10, Internet Games and others stupid things we don't need on a Web server), driver integration option not used

HFslipped [HFSLIP_60107.CMD] to add all 2K3 post-SP1 HFs

Mass Storage driver added with notepad to <Remote_install_share>\Setup\English\Images\WIN51IB.HFN \I386\Templates\RISTNDRD.SIF to allow detection on FastTrak100 RAID 1 Array (2x 80Gb HDD) on the server.

Files added on the RIS Server <Remote_install_share>\Setup\English\Images\WIN51IB.HFN\$OEM$\TEXTMODE folder:

aarich.cat

aarich.inf

aarich.sys

ADPU160M.CAT

ADPU160M.INF

ADPU160M.SYS

aichmgt.cat

aichmgt.inf

Fastsx.cat

fastsx.inf

fastsx.sys

FASTTRAK.CAT

fasttrak.inf

fasttrak.sys

Fasttx2k.cat

fasttx2k.inf

fasttx2k.sys

MegaIDE.INF

MegaIDE.sys

MegaNET.cat

NODEV.inf

textmode.txt

TxtSetup.oem

ristndrd.sif

[data]
floppyless = "1"
msdosinitiated = "1"
OriSrc = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%"
OriTyp = "4"
LocalSourceOnCD = 1
DisableAdminAccountOnDomainJoin = 1

[SetupData]
OsLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect"
SetupSourceDevice = "\Device\LanmanRedirector\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%"

[Unattended]
UnattendSwitch=Yes
UnattendedMode=FullUnattended
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
OverwriteOemFilesOnUpgrade=No
OemPreinstall = yes
;FileSystem = LeaveAlone
FileSystem = NTFS
ExtendOEMPartition = 0
TargetPath = \WINDOWS
OemSkipEula = yes
;OemPnPDriversPath = "WINDOWS\OEMDIR"
;OemFilesPath="..\$OEM$"
InstallFilesPath = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%"
LegacyNIC = 1

[UserData]
;FullName = "%USERFIRSTNAME% %USERLASTNAME%"
FullName = "Windows Server 2003 Blade"
;OrgName = "%ORGNAME%"
OrgName = " "
;ComputerName = %MACHINENAME%
ComputerName = WS3BLADE
ProductKey=ADDYO-URVLK-PRODU-CTKEY-HERE!

[GuiUnattended]
OemSkipWelcome = 1
OemSkipRegional = 1
TimeZone = %TIMEZONE%
AdminPassword = "*"

[LicenseFilePrintData]
AutoMode = PerSeat

[Display]
BitsPerPel = 16
XResolution = 800
YResolution = 600
VRefresh = 60

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[NetServices]
MS_Server=params.MS_PSched

[Identification]
;JoinDomain = %MACHINEDOMAIN%
;DoOldStyleDomainJoin = Yes
JoinWorkgroup = WORKGROUP

[RemoteInstall]
Repartition = No
UseWholeDisk = No

[WindowsFirewall]
Profiles=WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall
[WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall]
Mode=0

[RegionalSettings]
;http://www.kbalertz.com/kb_Q325856.aspx
Language=040c
LanguageGroup=1
SystemLocale=0000040c
UserLocale=0000040c
InputLocale=040c:0000040c
UserLocale_DefaultUser=0000040c
InputLocale_DefaultUser=040c:0000040c
;MUILanguage=language ID
;MUILanguage_DefaultUser=language ID

[SystemFileProtection]
SFCQuota=1

[Components]
Iis_common = On
Iis_inetmgr = On
Iis_nntp = Off
Iis_smtp = On
Iis_webadmin = On
Iis_webdav = On
Iis_www = On
Iis_asp = On
SCW = Off

[MassStorageDrivers]
"IDE CD-ROM (ATAPI 1.2)/PCI IDE Controller"=RETAIL
"LSI MegaRAID IDE 100/MAGNIA Z3x0 Controller"=OEM
"Adaptec Ultra160 SCSI Controller"=OEM
"Windows Promise FastTrak100 (tm) Controller (Primergy L100)"=OEM
"Adaptec Embedded Serial ATA HostRAID Driver"=OEM
"Promise FastTrak TX4000/S150 TX Series (tm) Controller"=OEM
"Promise FastTrak S150 SX4 (tm) Controller"=OEM

[OEMBootFiles]
megaide.sys
ADPU160M.SYS
fasttrak.sys
fasttx2k.sys
fastsx.sys
aarich.sys
TXTSETUP.OEM

[OSChooser]
Description ="Windows Server 2003, Web SP1 HF NL"
Help ="Installe automatiquement Windows Server 2003, Web SP1 sans interaction utilisateur."
LaunchFile = "%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%\templates\startrom.com"
ImageType =Flat
Version="5.2 (3790)"

Some tips i've used:

I don't use the repacking feature in HFSLIP: (driver.cab & SPx.cab not merged in a single driver.cab and drvindex.inf left unchanged) because Risetup extracts NIC drivers from these files. It may also work with a single CAB and modified drvindex.inf

I don't remove RIS feature in nLite (otherwise risetup will fail at end of copying with osc.cab not found and canno't create SIF file using ristndrd.si_ ).

I don't use the driver integration feature of nLite because it had never worked for me with Mass Storage drivers: error in line xxxxx in txtsetup.sif during textmode stage of the setup).

What works:

new binaries from HFs are correctly installed in Windows.

some annoying:

I have done some changes to HFSLIP added lines in DOSNET.INF and TXTSETUP.SIF to make it works. I will send a PM to tommyp in order to change the HFSLIP script accordingly. No major changes, only removal of some comments starting with a semicolon ; and one section merged with an existing one.

to do:

one HF isn't well slipstreamed but i already know the reason: KB890046 HF add a new binary file and this file is missing in my sourcess. it's not an HFSLIP error but a human error on my side.

i forget to add WindowsUpdateAgent 2.0 to my HF before running HFSLIP and i should add it next time.

i should add this HF: Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB910437) missing in my HF

Some problems encountered may be created by myself because i've HFSlipped a Nlited OS.

TommyP recommends 1st HFslipping source and then Nliting resulting SOURCESS (source slipstreamed with HFs)

Edited by Bilou_Gateux

Rock on man, thanx for the post...was starting to think it was a dumb question :)

It sounds like even with the 'issues' you have it should be perfect for us. The driver.cab isn't an issue so much if I understand it...I could either merge everything back into an unofficial driver.cab and drvindex.inf, or I can keep the original driver.cab and drvindex.inf, but add a custom spx.cab?

In regards to the nlite issues, I don't really use that so I'm not worried about it. But I am concerned about the process...to be clear, should I:

1. HFSLIP the source, then make the RIS image from the source

2. Make the RIS image from a standard source, then HFSLIP the RIS image

And yeah, I've never found a MassStorage integrator that actually worked for me...best to do it by hand. If I do that, it requires editing the TXTSETUP.SIF file...should I wait to do that until after I HFSLIP it?

Sorry for all the questions...I'm sure some of these would be answered if I just did this...that's what the long weekend if for eh?

1. HFSLIP the source, then make the RIS image from the source

Yes, build a slipstreamed OS source somewhere on your RIS server hard drive (more easy than build an iso and burn it and then put the resulting burned CD in your server CD Drive)

On the RIS server, open a command prompt and run RISetup.exe –add.

When prompted for a source, point RISetup to <your_path>\HFSLIP\SOURCESS

Driver.cab and SPx.cab merging should work.

But actually, i don't want to stress my server when i build a new HFSlip.

Unpacking driver.cab + SPx.cab and then repacking all binaries to a single driver.cab gives me high CPU and drive utilization. I will try later to build the HFSlip on a fast computer.

@tommyp

may be can you add a fourth option in HFSlip when comes the merging driver question:

4/ do not merge driver.cab wiht SPx.cab

for testing purposes, i only want to build a new HFSlip to check HF slipstream and don't care about others steps of the proccess .

Should I try making a SPx.cab, where X is the service pack number + 1?

Sometimes forget to check if my english is understandable :blushing:

:COMP

echo D. Driver.cab and SPx.cab not merged together:
echo * Fast HFSlip building, no reduced size

IF "%CM%"=="D" SET DRIVERCOMP=NO
IF "%CM%"=="d" SET DRIVERCOMP=NO

and add a condition to :cabexpand call

IF "!DRIVERCOMP!"=="NO" goto :skipdrivercomp
CALL :CABEXPAND
IF EXIST HFCLEANUP\* CALL :HFCLEANUP
CALL :CABCOMPACT
:skipdrivercomp

these codes are just examples to explain my needs. I haven't checked if it work in HFSlip_xxxxx.cmd

because HFCLEANUP is also called to optionally Reducing Installation Source between CABEXPAND and CABCOMPACT.

As requests from users grows, a simple script becomes huge and can do more than what it was designed at first. Merging both driver.cab and spx.cab or reducing size is interesting but it would be nice to use it as an user choice.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'll need some technical info on driver cabs. This will help me script this. I'm not sure of the setup process and how setup determines what files it should select. I don't want to get bitten by the numerous things that dx9 adds to the driver cab when slipping it into w2k. Is this what needs to get done?

Step 1. identify the files to recab and recab them as SPx.cab (this step is easy)

Step 2. With a w2k sp4 as a case in point, should the drvindex.inf be changed like this:

In the header section. CabFiles=sp4,driver ---> CabFiles=sp4,driver,spx

In the footer section. After the line sp4=sp4.cab add in spx=spx.cab

@tommyp

I have build a new HFSlip Windows XP SP1 and add the image to my RIS server.

I haven't nLited it to isolate issues.

It seems that driver merging isn't an issue. In my 1st attempt (2K3 Web SP1 nLited + HFSlipped), something was going wrong.

Answer: you shouldn't change any line of code in the script.

The second issue is still here:

rissetup /add, the command used to create a flat image on the server from the sourcess folder skip the copy of all new files added in sourcess: latest [Files] section in DOSNET.INF including HFSLIP??.inf files created by HFSlip and new binaries from HFs.

Even after removing comments from both TXTSETUP.SIF and DOSNET.INF

;UPDATE

;HOTFIX

;XP HOTFIX

;SUPPORT FILES FOR BITS

;HF2

What is the file used by rissetup.exe to copy the files to the correct location?

I can manually copy these files to destination folder.

Then editing TXTSETUP.SIF and DOSNET.INF and removing comments at end of each line seems to solve the problem (file not found) during textmode stage of the setup.

Edited by Bilou_Gateux

Thanks for the tips Bilou. I did some recrafting over the weekend to help out XPSP1 with the help from Tomcat, and I have a new feature for driver cab repacking (it's the SPx.cab). I'm still testing and hope to release it in a few days. I really like this version, instead of 20 minutes to repack the driver cab, it takes only a few minutes to repack only what's needed.

Although i haven't found on Unattended RIS installation the answer, based on my latest check, to successfully add an image to RIS server, all new files added through HFSlip to sourcess are not copied on destination directory by rissetup /add.

an example is the KB890046 HF for ws03. this hotfix add a new binary file w03s240c.dl_ to sourcess.

a new line is added to DOSNET.INF

[Files]d1,w03s240c.dll

a new line is added to txtsetup.sif

[sourceDisksFiles]w03s240c.dll = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0,w03a2409.dll,1,2

sprs040c.dll = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0,ws03res.dll,1,2

sprt040c.dll = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0,xpsp2res.dll,1,2

obrs040c.dll = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0,xpob2res.dll,1,2

in order to have the binary file copied to destination directory D:\RInstall\Setup\French\Images\WIN51IA.SP1, i have to add a new line to LAYOUT.INF

[sourceDisksFiles]w03s240c.dll = 100,,3072,,,,,2,0,0,w03a2409.dll,1,2

sprs040c.dll = 100,,892416,,,,,2,0,0,ws03res.dll,1,2

sprt040c.dll = 100,,2986496,,,,,2,0,0,xpsp2res.dll,1,2

obrs040c.dll = 100,,445440,,,,,2,0,0,xpob2res.dll,1,2

Edited by Bilou_Gateux

RISetup /add Adds a new installation image to the Remote Installation Services (RIS) server.

During the base installation of RIS, you are prompted to add a default operating system installation image to the remote installation-enabled server. This image installation process copies the compact disc contents and directory structure to the RIS server.

Without my custom layout.inf, it seems that new binary files won't be copied.

I will re-check on the server if image contains my modified layout.inf.

Edited by Bilou_Gateux