What Not To Remove For Some Programs

mraeryceos

Updated to post #150 on page 8

Here you have a page that you can search in hopes of finding out why your application is not functioning correctly. It may be that you have removed a component with nLite, that is required for your application.

The contents below is loosely organized, and sometimes it's structure is the following:

1: name of application

2: what not to remove

3: problem resulting from removing items in line 2

x: - comment updating the original information

Credits to RaveRod and Bold Fortune (posts that follow)

--------------------------

Dependency page in the services MMC snap-in was showing only the components actually present in the system, while the components cut out by nLite weren't shown

Peer2Mail

'MSMail and MAPI' component, plus others

HFNetChk

Workstation Service

Incredimail

mapi32.dll

Visual Studio 6

16 bit support

cannot install

UltraISO

wmidx.dll, wmasf.dll

ActiveSync for Pocket PC Version 4.x for Windows Mobile 5 For Windows 2000

mapi32.dll (from outlook express), utildll.dll

Windows Installer won't run and there was an error message (A DLL is required...). With mapi32.dll, the install will run. The file utildll.dll is needed to avoid an error when activesync runs on windows.

Corel's Paint Shop Pro X

IE Core

cannot install... the activate/try out screen probably needs it too, but you can never get to that stage without IE Core anyhow

WindowBlinds 5 Beta**

MDAC, Jet Database Engine

removing these will cause a pop-up dialog about Data Sources & u wont be able to use WB5

Outlook Express

Windows Messenger

pagefileconfig.vbs to set the pagefile

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{7988B571-EC89-11cf-9C00-00AA00A14F56}] in the registry or "Disk and Profile Quota" in nLite

Mysql Administrator

scheduled tasks

cannot access the backup section

mediabuilder.exe

"MSJAVA.DLL" and "MSOERT2.DLL"

Needed by Acronis True Image

hhctrl.ocx......Microsoft® HTML Help Control

Installed by Acronis True Image, and needed by it to operate:

setupnt.dll.....Setupnt Dynamic Link Library

SNAPAPI.DLL.....Acronis Snapshot Dynamic Link Library

Drive Image 2002

Requires: System Even Notification (SENS)

Error: Won't install without it.

Warcraft III

Win2k SP4 (not WinXP): Protected Storage on automatic to connect to battle.net

will attempt to connect (but not), and then hang if you click cancel

- In the latest nLite version(1.0rc7), Warcraft III: TFT no longer requires the Protected Storage service to be running under Win2k. You can safely disable it, and I presume safely remove it. I am not sure what nLite version this changed in, but apparently something connection related is all better now.

Toshiba Notebook Power Management and Utilities

Terminal Services

Error on install

WinXP Manager

Windows Management Instrumentation, COM+, DCOM Server Process Launcher

Otherwise you cannot start Service Uninstaller,Service Manager,Share Manager,Security Tweaks and a few other tweaks

ability to use 2 pass VBR encoding with dbPowerAMP converter

nlite "media player compatibility": more info: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=40707

error: with WMP9 nlite removed, even after reinstalling WMP9 and titou2k's WMP10 codecs

Windows Firewall (ICF)

Application Layer Gateway Service (ALG)

Corel 12

Windows Scripting Host, ALG

IZArc (archive compress/decompress utility)

REQUIRES: hhctrl.ocx

ERROR: Won't run without it

Macromedia Fireworks MX 2004 and CorelDraw 12

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ComDlg32]

"NoFileMRU"=dword:00000000

ACDSee 7

aci.dll, part of windows image acquisition (WIA)

Mediamonkey

Jet database engine, ODBC

ATI 9800AIW videokaart

WMP9

driver for Intel xx810 onboard graphics card

DCOM

Steam

IE for ingame server messages

FL Studio 5

hhctrl.ocx

Kerio Personal Firewall 4 + other firewalls

net.exe, net1.exe

Yamaha XG MIDI SoftSynthesizer

16 bit support

Windows Update

Cryptographic services

Microsoft Exchange Server

Outlook Express (msoe5.inf and wab50.inf)

during setup will get a hex code of 0xC007045A

Windows Update

CDM.DLL.........(Windows Update CDM Stub).

crtdll.dll......(Cryptography Manager). Needed for Cryptographic Services

cryptsvc.dll....(Cryptographic Services). Needed for Cryptographic Services

DCIMAN32.DLL....DCI Manager

dssenh.dll......Microsoft Enhanced DSS and Diffie-Hellman Cryptographic Provider

GWFSPidGen.dll..PidGen

iuengine.dll....Windows Update Control Engine

JSCRIPT.DLL.....Microsoft ® JScript

LegitCheckControl.dll..Windows Genuine Advantage Validation

licdll.dll......Licdll Module

pidgen.dll......Pid3.0 generation

qmgr.dll........Background Intelligent Transfer Service

rasapi32.dll....Remote Access API

rasman.dll......Remote Access Connection Manager

RTUTILS.DLL.....(Routing Utilities). Needed to get to Windows Update from your Start Menu shortcut

SCHANNEL.DLL....TLS / SSL Security Provider

TAPI32.DLL .....(Microsoft® Windows™ Telephony API Client DLL). Needed to get to Windows Update from your Start Menu shortcut

WLNOTIFY.DLL....Common DLL to receive Winlogon notifications

WUAPI.DLL.......Windows Update Client API

WUAUCLT.EXE.....(Windows Update). An auto-update client.

wuauclt1.exe....Windows Update AutoUpdate Client

wuaucpl.cpl.....Automatic Updates Control Panel

WUAUENG1.DLL....Windows Update AutoUpdate Engine

wuauserv.dll....Windows Update AutoUpdate Service

WUCLTUI.DLL.....Windows Update Client UI Plugin

wupdmgr.exe.....Windows Update Manager for NT

WUPS.DLL........Windows Update client proxy stub

wups2.dll.......Windows Update client proxy stub 2

WUWEB.DLL.......Windows Update Web Control

Microsoft Update

corpol.dll.....Microsoft COM Runtime Execution Engine

ddrawex.dll....Direct Draw Ex

dxtmsft.dll....DirectX Media -- Image DirectX Transforms

dxtrans.dll....DirectX Media -- DirectX Transform Core

msidle.dll.....User Idle Monitor

muweb.dll......(Microsoft Update Web Control). Installed by New Microsoft Update Software

vssapi.dll.....Microsoft® Volume Shadow Copy Requestor/Writer Services API DLL

webcheck.dll...Web Site Monitor

Mecury Mail Transport System

Requires: Internet Authentication

Error: Won't run without it.

Outpost Pro Firewall

Requires: MDAC & Jet Database Engine

Error: Log viewer will not work.

Creative MP3 Player Software

Requires: Jet Database Engine

Error: ??

Siemens Datacable 510 Driver

Requires: Ports component (COM)

Windows Prefetcher

Requires: Task Scheduler service

Error: The prefetcher will not function unless the task scheduler service is enabled.

Adobe Acrobat Writer

Requires: SNMP, System Restore, Printer support

Error: Unable to create PDF converter and Printer ("modules not found")

- Using xp sp1 (jdeboeck customized), where SNMP is not present as a service, with COM+ started, and several normal printers installed and working, installation of Adobe Acrobat 5 did not install the pdf printer drivers. It didn't even give any errors. Jaws PDF Creator gave all kinds of error messages.

update: After right-click install of the system restore service inf file (component as removed by jdeboeck), I was able to install the pdf printer drivers. I guess this would also apply to fax printer drivers.

- Some people find they don't need system restore, so obviously not the whole component is needed, just some part

Rome Total War

Requires: Windows Media Player 9 (install WMP10 instead)

Rollercoaster 3

Requires: Windows Media Player 10

Error: Can't play music as it's in WMA format.

Outlook 2003

Requires: Outlook Express

Error: Dependancy.

Aston

Requires: Battery Drivers

Error: Cannot open control panel.

Office 2003

Requires: Input Method Editor

Error: Seems some updates won't install without it.

Foobar2000

Requires: WMP 6.4 + WMP Compatibility

Error: Won't play WMA files.

Izotope Ozone

Requires: WMP 9

Tribes Vengeance

Requires: System Even Notification

SoncStage

Requires: DCOM Service

Error: The RPC Server is unavailable.

Wordperfect Office 12

Requires: Windows Scripting Host

WMP Codecs

Requires: WMP 6.4

MOH Pacific Assault

Requires: Administrator VB Scripts

Error: Won't find "Firewall.vbs".

O&O Defrag

Requires: Event Log

Yahoo! Messenger 6

Requires: Internet Explorer Core

Error: Won't run?

Sisoft Sandra

Requires: MDAC

System Restore

Requires: COM+

Error: Won't create restore points.

Samurize

Requires: Performance Monitor

Error: Won't have many features.

Microsoft Word Viewer 97

Requires: 16-bit Support

Windows Media Player 10 Final (and Technical Beta)

Required: Windows Media Player

Error: When installing, you will get the error outlined here. Click here for information on how to install it.

Sonic Foundry ACID Pro

Required: Old Sound/Multimedia Apps (CD Player, Volume Control, Sound Recorder)

Error: Projects complain of an "unknown error" when you click the play button.

GameSpy Arcade

Required: IE Core

Error: It won't show anything as all the pages are rendered in HTML.

Real Player

Error: All the "song information" windows won't load HTML content.

XPlite

Required: Fax Driver (fxsocm.inf, fxsocm.dll)?

Error: XPlite will start but the removal process wil fail with an error.

Firefox - Netscape Plugin

Required: Windows Media Player/Old CD Player

Error: The plugin won't install.

Bootvis

Required: Task Scheduler

Error: Bootvis won't start on next boot without Task Scheduler.

System Restore

Required: PCHealth/Help

Error: System Restore will run but you cannot view any settings.

Norton Antivirus

Error: You will lose some functionality.

SoundForge

Required: Windows Media Codecs

Error: You will get a "Media Type is not compatible" error.

Encarta Collection 2004

Required: Windows Media Player

Error: You will not be able to play movies.

Task Manager

Required: Terminal Services

Error: If you remove Terminal Services, you will loose the ability to see the username in the "Processes" window.

Norton Antivirus 2003

Required: Terminal Services

Error: Norton won't install with it.

Norton SystemWorks / Norton utilities

Error: Can't register (because of blank form) and some other forms are blank too at first and take a long time to load in various Norton apps.

Netlimiter

Error: Can't configure network cards which makes program unusable

GameCam

Required: WMP Codecs

Error: Program will fail to start.

Panda Antivirus Platnium 7

Required: System Restore

Error: Will only scan approx. 300 files without it. Does NOT need [Help] or [MS Agent]. [system Restore] can be disabled and not effect Panda Antivirus.

VCom Systemsuite 5

Depends On: System File Protection

Reasons: If the afore mentioned service is not installed, or is trimmed out, upon installing that program, it asks you to reboot, and somewhere in the process it corrupts the winlogon.exe file

What components are needed for normal functioning of ADSL connection and ADSL modems?

- I have an ADSL connection and I remove all network and tcp/ip services and components. The only issue is that if I remove DHCP Client, an icon on taskbar is showing trying to search a network. I fix this configuring some IP on TCP/IP protocol on Local Area Connection. I use 192.168.254.254 for IP, Gateway defaullt and first DNS Server. But any IP will work.

So you don´t need any component that nLite can remove for now.

Can someone tell me what not to remove for having suport for running java scripts right after windows is installed?

- EXCLAM.GI_ (exclam.gif)

If you remove this file pre-installation The backgroun transfer service, numerous shortcuts and the my "folder name" collection of folders will fail to be created.

just a word of caution about disabling the start menu MRU file list:

i just caused a 2 day headache for the developer of FreePCB (circut board design s/w) because i disabled the startmenu MRU list. he changed his his code to make it work with it disabled however (available later tonight or tomorrow). the problem was 'exceptions' when trying to open or save a document. since i also removed dr. watson, it only made things that much more difficult for the poor fella smile.gif i won't be removing either in future builds.

I just wanted to add, renaming 'Program Files' might cause a slight inconvienience to those that use tools such as system (file) cleaners. For instance, if you use CCleaner - http://www.ccleaner.com/ or any other utility which has a database outlining the 'program' directory, it might not find the custom naming scheme if you do so.

An example, CCleaner uses '%ProgramFiles%' in it's .ini file. So the app wouldn't find your custom location and some features in CCleaner wouldn't work.

A few software that require or work better if hhctrl.ocx is present in C:\WINDOWS\system32:

TUGzip

FuturixImager

And the software for Terratec's souncards control panels.

Even Explorer and many other worked smoother with hhctrl.ocx

Do not remove npptools.dll (I believe it's part of Network Monitor)

if you use WinPcap for any reason (I use it for wc3banlist).

Is npptools.dll the only needed component ?

- Last time I tried to use nmap, it failed though I restored npptools.

- Anyway, "Network Monitor" seems to be the only component that could cause WinPcap/nmap/Ethereal not to work. (gonna check this soon)

- Yeah for me npptools is the only dll needed. I guess WinPcap and wc3banlist provided the rest of what was needed.

Don't remove the SamSS (Security Accounts Manager) if u're going to use the IIS Admin service (Visual Studio 2005, vs2005, vs 2005)

the service fails to start therefore iis will not function..

this could even go under the compatibility IIS section

Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software

Do not remove or disable IPSEC and/or NLA services or you will experience issues with you WLAN icon

for Microsoft Office Update on Office 2003 and probably other versions

do not disable "Keep code pages of removed languages" or you will experience issues when trying to install some updates.

In my case, it appears that neither enabling "Clean MUI Languages support entries" nor removing Languages themselves makes any difference when using OfficeUpdate or MicrosoftUpdate.

iTunes 6.0.4.2 + Winamp 5.24 + NTI CD Maker 6.5+ Dependency: Wmasf.dll + Wmidx.dll

If you remove Windows Media Player 8 (but leave Windows Media Player Classic 6.4) with nLite from Windows XP these programs will not function correctly or will display missing file errors when opening because they require the following files that are removed: Wmasf.dll + Wmidx.dll. If you add these files back into the System 32 folder from an non Nlited XP install these programs will function correctly with no errors.

Update: The same applies to iTunes 7, NTI CD Maker 7, and Winamp 5+!

Dr Watson: Program dependent on dbgeng.dll file and won't run without it. Solution: Add dbgeng.dll from a non nLited XP to Windows System 32 folder.

Microsoft Internet Explorer 7: Program dependent on Windows Update Manager and won't install without it.

Microsoft Outlook 97, 2000, XP, 2003: Program dependent on Outlook Express and won't work without it. Microsoft Outlook 2007 isn't dependent on Outlook Express and will work without it. You can Use Thunderbird or other 3rd party software instead as it isn't dependent on Outlook/Outlook Express.

Windows Defender (a.k.a. Microsoft Antispyware): Program dependent on Windows Update and won't install or if you get it to install won't be able to update without it. It was originally designed by GIANT AntiSpyware which was bought out by M$ and was rebranded as Microsoft Antispyware with Beta 1 and Windows Defender with Beta 2, and now is being integrated as a M$ service dependent on M$ update. Possible Solution: Sunbelt Software which was Giant's partner has released CounterSpy based on GIANT Antispyware, which I have tested and it works well. From what I have read it's also a well regarded product!

Windows Media Player 11: Program dependent on Imapi CD Burning to burn CD's. WMP can still rip music CD's, but because it's dependent on the Imapi CD Burning service; it can't burn music CD's. Use iTunes, Winamp or other 3rd party software instead to burn CD's.

Yahoo Music/Radio + Yahoo Jukebox (formerly MusicMatch Jukebox): Are dependent on Windows Media Player 8. Yahoo Jukebox will tell you it can't install because of this problem, but Yahoo Radio will try to work but fail without any specific error. If you install WMP 8 or higher then these apps should work. I installed WMP 11 and then both apps worked fine.

If you take off the OOBE component, you will not be able to change the Win XP key (product ID) using blue list keychanger or magical jellybean keyfinder.

Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition requires the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)

FreeDownloadManager seems to be dependant on DCOM Laucnher.

- So does Microsoft's .NET Framework 3.0

According to what happened with me

the file ODBCCP32.DLL is required to run media monkey, so keep it.

X-teq X-Setup requires Visual Basic

i found that to connect to my nt4domain i need "net logon"

what not to remove for hamachi ? (www.hamachi.cc)

- i think its dhcp client

- I can confirm Hamachi requires DHCP Service

- Hamachi works without DHCP. Just start it and look what IP is written in the Program Window of Hamachi. Then go to the properties of your "Hamachi" Lan-Connection and enter this IP in "TCP/IP" Protocol. Then restart and it should work...

I felt like playing Mafia the other day (on of the greatest games btw) and realized that the intro was missing at the beginning and the menu video was all messed up. It was filled various colors and patterns. It didn't look nice at all. Anyway, turns out that Mafia needs the "Intel Indeo codec" to be able to run Bink Player so you might wanna keep that in mind anytime a game intro or menu graphics doesn't behave the way you wants. Besides, it doesn't impact the overall size of your UA Installation anyway so the choice should be obvious, unless gaming is completely out of the question.

Quicken requires DCOM... for what I can't remember.

Korean language support is needed for KMPlayer. If you remove it, the program doesn't launch. It doesn't even show an error message. You click the exe and nothing happens.

Anyone using Grisoft's AVG plus Firewall need to keep Dial-up and VPN Support otherwise the Firewall fails to start with the following error:

The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion. (1075)

Realtek HD Audio for onboard 7.1 setups requires hhctrl.ocx, to access it in the control panel. Without access to this panel, there is no way to enable 'Stereo Mix', which lets you record what you hear. Major problem for screen recording software like FRAPS, but easily fixed by copying the file over to your system32 dir, or adding it to keepfiles in nLite.

UltimateDefrag requires odbcbcp.dll (part of MDAC)

Firetune requires msvbvm60.dll.

CCleaner requires msvbvm60.dll (from Visual Basic 6 Runtime) in-order to run

The drivers for HP printers require Microsoft Color Management (ICM) to fully install.

Don't remove "Printer Support" nor "Microsoft Color Management (ICM)" in the Hardware Support section section if you want to run the Nvidia Display Optimization Wizard (nvcolor.exe). One of those things that makes it tricky but also fun to use nLite.

I just managed to confirm what was posted by Legolash2o about not being able to install .Net Framework if the "Net Logon Service" is removed. This service will probably be either excluded from nLite's remove list or at least be shown in red.

MDAC (in component) is required for the installer of Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts.

AutoImage needs the Windows Management Instrumentation service

Hellgate London (game) requires odbcbcp.dll . It's part of MDAC, but you need to restore only this particular file (to system32 folder).

PDANet: Modem Component is needed. If Modem is deleted, PDANet will not install.

I found out that for installing printer drivers on XP you absolutely have to have srclient.dll, even if you have disabled/nlited system restore. Don't know if recent Nlite builds keep it (since I've seen the dll mentioned many times on this board, but nothing speciffic about this, only together with framedyn.dll). Or maybe I had deleted it manually, but in any case, no printer driver would install without it present.

To function properly SuRun needs the Secondary Logon service.

The driver component "Cameras and Camcorders" contains drivers to mount USB digicams as normal drives for many models of modern digicams, from among others Canon. Canon does not supply drivers for these cameras neither on the CD that comes with the camera nor on their support website - they rely -100%- on the driver included in this file that is shipped default with Win 2K/XP.

Comodo Firewall needs Security Center or it will give an error at startup (but still run)

The latest version(s) of iTunes (7.6) requires the following files (Windows\System32):

sccbase.dll

sccsccp.dll

slbcsp.dll

slbiop.dll

and also:

wmasf.dll

wmidx.dll

Thanks to the MSFN user from this thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/iTunes-won-t-sta...520#entry732520

Another user in the same thread says that newer versions of iTunes require the SmartCard service.

- Recent versions of iTunes now crash if Smart Card support is removed.

Toshiba Power Saver/LG Power Management/Dell Power Management (and most probably other power management tools for various laptops)

UPS Service.

- If you messed up like me and removed this service aswell you can manually instal it even after XP is installed, you are going to need an XP disc wich has it on though:

http://www.lazybit.com/index.php/2007/12/1..._service?blog=2

Needed to do this after I found out my HP printer drivers wouldn't install because that was missing...

- Huh? That is the Smart Card Service, not the UPS service. By the way, the Smart Card service is NOT needed for HP Software: just use these reg-files instead. (post #134)

sisoft sandra 2008 requires SNMP service

Program : Windows Search

File : WindowsSearch-KB940157-Srv2K3_XP-x64-enu.exe

Install will not start if Terminal services is removed with nlite (v1.4.5.5) apparently.

Program asks for something like "Please make sure Terminal services is started before installation".

Tested on real install, not vmware.

update: i did a reinstall same settings, but this time around kept Terminal Services. Installation went flawless, so that confirms it imho.

DO NOT remove sync manager or else... no sony ericsson pc suite!

With regard to itunes, I have found a further dependency though I'm not sure of its nature - I uninstalled internet explorer using xplite on xp (obviously) and.... itunes won't open - except as 'itunes.exe' in task manager. Then without even rebooting, an xplite reinstall of IE allowed itunes to open fine. (obviously had to end task in task manager in between).

My original install is from an nlite created sp2 cd - perhaps this further complicates things? (also on a dual boot imac - 2.0ghz 1gbram - although same effect on an old dell)

MUI isn't worth it. It is a poor implementation in that not everything gets translated when switching languages. So if you want a different language, just use a different language version of Windows.

According to Staknhalo'Software Quality Management' is needed for Media Center functionality

and also 'Simple Network Management Protocol needed For CS3

Removed : Shell Media Handler

Result : Now can't view File Versions of things, i didnt think of that when selecting it ( was thinking of mp3 tags etc), had forgot.

I posted a workaround for the IE removal and Steam problem here. (http://www.msfn.org/board/Solution-Steam-File-Download-security-w-t121637.html)

Devil May Cry 4 = needs wmplayer codecs. At least Wmvcore.dll, i will perhaps do a new install to check this.

btw: I had removed wmplayer and shell media handler and everything codecs from install, even wmplayer compability with nlite 1.4.8, but wmplayer 11 would still install, and game runs fine.

Wmplayer even plays files. Im sure some parts of it is broken, but nothing that is visibile per usage so far.

edit: Needs windows media format 11 runtime.

- Did a clean real install of windows, had removed wmp and wmp compability but kept "acm core codecs", so i know it isnt that.

Game wouldnt start so installed wmfdist.exe , "Windows Media Format 11 Runtime" . So game needs codecs basically. It worked without wmp11 player installed.

Windows Search 4.0

vmware: deleted imapi service with imapi 2.0 being installed, error showing up in event viewer

The protocol handler Search.Mapi2Handler.1 cannot be loaded. Error description: Class not registered

Searching still seems to work tho. i've only removed partially imapi files (1.0 files, not 2.0)

NT BackUp Needs Indexing Service and Windows Management Instrumentation Maybe something else.

- NT Backup does NOT need indexing service on my os, nor does it need WMI running at least.

In fact, NT Backup will quite happily run even if you relocate it, meaning you can have it run almost as if it was a portable program (it isnt tho because of registry writes etc).

So please specify what your O.S. is.. Most apps need WMI nowadays anyway, so i wouldnt bother with that. At some point one has to realize that if you remove that kind of service you are going to lose a ton of compability with software. On the other hand it is possible to slim down what nt backup actually uses. You can remove removable storage f.ex and it will still work. Actually i dont need wmi either for it to run now that i think of it.

- Maybe depends on the way you work with.

Only leave it there without a problem, have you tried manual/advanced backup?

If i remove indexing services, it stops when the back up starts.

OS is Win XP Pro SP3 plus hotfixes until sept.

To figure out i remove all at services but keep restoring until it works, on each component, 1 install, think the wasted time...

Edited by mraeryceos

Bold Fortune's 380 system32 Files I Do Not Delete...By Feature

With some exceptions, I have listed here the 380 system32 Files I Do Not Delete by feature. Sometimes knowing how files all fit together can very helpful.

There are undoubtedly other even more important reasons for not deleting some of these files, as many files have multiple uses. What I have here are the first good reasons I bumped into that made me decide why I don't want to delete these particular files.

Some of these files are essential to the operation of Windows. Other files belong to optional features I choose to keep with my Windows installation.

Certainly I could further reduce the size of my XP installation. Simply by removing many of these files.

I could remove Internet Explorer. I could remove Windows Media Player 10. I could remove Windows Update. I could even remove some of the third-party programs I have installed.

But wouldn't I then be missing the point of all that goes before this? That point being to have Windows XP setup and function the way I want.

I like Internet Explorer. I like using Windows Media Player 10. I like having Windows Updates installed. I like my third-party programs, for that matter.

If you chose to further reduce your Windows installation, that's up to you. You can pick and choose from this list additional files and features that can be deleted.

Needed by Outlook Express

acctres.dll.....Microsoft Internet Account Manager Resources

inetcomm.dll...(Microsoft Internet Messaging API). Without this file Outlook Express will not open. You will receive this popop message when you click on the Outlook Express shortcut: "Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be found. Outlook Express may not be installed correctly."

Additionally, inetcomm.dll is needed in order to save a Webpage as an offline Webpage with an .mht extension.

inetres.dll.....(Microsoft Internet Messaging API Resources). Without this file Outlook Express will not open. You will receive this popop message when you click on the Outlook Express shortcut: "Outlook Express could not be started because MSOERES.DLL could not be found. Outlook Express may not be installed correctly."

Additionally, inetres.dll is needed in order to save a Webpage as an offline Webpage with an .mht extension.

mapistub.dll....(Extended MAPI 1.0 for Windows NT). Outlook Express needs this file when you choose for Outlook Express to be your default mail provider.

mshtmler.dll....(Microsoft ® HTML Editing Component's Resource DLL). Needed to insert a picture in E-mail

msident.dll.....Microsoft Identity Manager

msidntld.dll....Microsoft Identity Manager

MSOEACCT.DLL....Microsoft Internet Account Manager

MSOERT2.DLL.....Microsoft Outlook Express RT Lib

sendmail.dll....Send Mail

---------------------------------------

Needed by NVDVD Player

acelpdec.ax.....ACELP.net Audio Decoder

d3d8thk.dll.....Microsoft Direct3D OS Thunk Layer

d3d9.dll........Microsoft Direct3D

d3dim700.dll....Microsoft Direct3D

devenum.dll.....Device enumeration

ddraw.dll.......Microsoft DirectDraw

ksuser.dll......User CSA Library

msdmo.dll.......DMO Runtime

qdvd.dll........DirectShow DVD Playback Runtime

These files are installed by NVDVD Player:

DolbyHph.dll....Dolby Headphone Engine

license.955200..When I deleted this seemingly harmless file, I started getting a Memory Error Popup, showing up as an Application Error in the Event Viewer, just as I would click to restart my computer. Even when I put the file back in the system32 folder, the errors would continue.

msxml3a.dll.....XML Resources

Needed by Registry Editor

aclui.dll.......Security Descriptor Editor

clb.dll.........Column List Box

Needed by Event Viewer

ACTIVEDS.DLL....(ADs Router Layer DLL). Needed to open and view Event Viewer. Also needed by PerfeckDisk.

ADSLDPC.DLL.....(ADs LDAP Provider C DLL). Needed to open and view Event Viewer. Also needed by PerfeckDisk.

ATL.DLL ........ATL Module for Windows XP (Unicode). Needed to enter Event Viewer console. Also needed to enter System Properties without receiving an error.

ELS.DLL.........Event Viewer Snapin

EVENTLOG.DLL....(Event Logging Service). Also, if you delete this file, it will take a very long time for your system to reboot to Windows, but Windows will eventually open.

EVENTVWR.EXE....(Event Viewer Snapin Launcher). The executable for the Event Viewer.

eventvwr.msc....Event Viewer Microsoft Management Console

MMC.EXE.........Microsoft Management Console

MSXML3.DLL .....(MSXML 3.0 SP 5). Needed to enter Event Viewer console. Also needed to enter and use Device Manager.

MSXML3R.DLL.....(XML Resources). Needed to enter Event Viewer console. Also needed to enter and use Device Manager.

netevent.dll....Net Event Handler

riched20.dll....(Rich Text Edit Control, v3.0). Needed to read Information and Error Messages (Event Properties) in Event Viewer. Also needed by Kazaa Lite.

Internet Explorer files I do not delete

I personally like having Internet Explorer for my browser; however, as with everything else on my system, I want eliminated any unnecessary files. Listed here are necessary Internet Explorer files I do not delete.

(I do however delete a little over two thirds of the Internet Explorer files that come with my XP installation. See PART 9 for those Internet Explorer files I do delete.)

actxprxy.dll....(ActiveX Interface Marshaling Library). Essential for Internet Explorer

BROWSELC.DLL....(Shell Browser UI Library). Important for IE Toolbar Bar. Toolbar will look messed up without it, and you cannot right-click access "Customize" without it.

BROWSEUI.DLL...(Shell Browser UI Library). Needed just to be able to boot to Windows

COMCTL32.DLL...(Common Controls Library). Needed just to be able to boot to Windows

DHCPCSVC.DLL....(DHCP Client Service). Needed for Internet connectivity

dispex.dll......(Microsoft ® DispEx). Needed to watch Yahoo Movie Trailers

iepeers.dll....(Internet Explorer Peer Objects). Needed to watch Yahoo Movie Trailers

imgutil.dll.....(IE plugin image decoder support DLL). Needed so you don't see those little red x's in place of some images

inetcplc.dll....(Internet Control Panel). Needed to access Internet Options

JSCRIPT.DLL.....(Microsoft ® JScript). Needed by Windows Update

MLANG.DLL.......(Multi Language Support DLL). Essential for Internet Explorer

mshtml.dll......Microsoft ® HTML Viewer

MSHTML.TLB.....(Microsoft ® MSHTML Typelib). Needed to be able to save a Webpage as an offline Webpage with a .mht extension

MSHTMLED.DLL....(Microsoft ® HTML Editing Component). This file gives you the ability to edit HTML. An example of that would be when you edit one of your posts on some forums. You wouldn't be able to do that without this file.

mshtmler.dll....(Microsoft ® HTML Editing Component's Resource DLL). Needed to insert a picture in E-mail using Outlook Express

msident.dll.....(Microsoft Identity Manager). Needed by Outlook Express

msls31.dll......(Microsoft Line Services library file). Essential for Internet Explorer

MSWSOCK.DLL.....(Microsoft Windows Sockets 2.0 Service Provider). Essential for Internet Explorer

occache.dll.....(Object Control Viewer). Needed to view icon for ActiveX objects in Downloaded Program Files. Otherwise, the ActiveX objects show up as .ini files.

OLEAUT32.DLL....Needed just to be able to boot to Windows

pngfilt.dll.....(IE PNG plugin image decoder). Needed so you don't see those little red x's in place of some images

sendmail.dll....(Send Mail). Needed by Outlook Express

SHDOCLC.DLL.....(Shell Doc Object and Control Library). Needed to be able to access right-click options while right-clicking on a Webpage

SHDOCVW.DLL.....(Shell Doc Object and Control Library). Needed just to be able to boot to Windows

urlmon.dll......(OLE32 Extensions for Win32). Essential for Internet Explorer

vbscript.dll....(Microsoft ® VBScript). Needed by Yahoo Chat

WININET.DLL.....(Internet Extensions for Win32). Needed just to be able to boot to Windows

WSHTCPIP.DLL....(Windows Sockets Helper DLL). Essential for Internet Explorer

Needed by PerfectDisk

ACTIVEDS.DLL....(ADs Router Layer DLL). Also needed to open and view Event Viewer.

ADSLDPC.DLL.....(ADs LDAP Provider C DLL). Also needed to open and view Event Viewer

MSI.DLL.........Windows Installer

PDBoot.exe......PerfectDisk Boot Time Defragmentation

PDBootState.....Temp file created by PerfectDisk after a Boot Time Defrag. It can be deleted safely. It will return when you do another Boot Time Defrag.

riched32.dll....(Wrapper Dll for Richedit 1.0). Without the riched32.dll file present, when opening PerfectDisk program, I receive this error: "Failed to load "Riched32.dll" library. However, PerfectDisk will load once I click OK on the error.

Files needed just to be able to boot to Windows

ADVAPI32.DLL....(Advanced Windows 32 Base API)...The avicap32.dll is used by your computer when capturing video from cameras (e.g. webcams) to store the resulting video as AVI format. If you are recording video or using a webcam for video conferencing, you should not stop this process.

AUTHZ.DLL .......Authorization Framework

AUTOCHK.EXE.....(Auto Check Disk). Launches automatically during Windows XP bootup if a volume is marked as dirty (has bad clusters, has error blocks, or is otherwise damaged).

BASESRV.DLL.....Windows NT BASE API Server DLL

bootvid.dll.....VGA Boot Driver

BROWSEUI.DLL....Shell Browser UI Library

c_437.nls.......

c_1252.nls......

COMCTL32.DLL....Common Controls Library

COMDLG32.DLL....Common Dialogs DLL

CRYPT32.DLL.....Crypto API32

CRYPTDLL.DLL....Cryptography Manager

CRYPTUI.DLL.....Microsoft Trust UI Provider

CSRSRV.DLL......Client Server Runtime Process

CSRSS.EXE.......(Client-Server Runtime Server Subsystem). Used to maintain the Win32 system environment console and other essential functions.

ctype.nls.......

DNSAPI.DLL......DNS Client API DLL

dpcdll.dll......Dpcdll Module

duser.dll.......(Windows DirectUser Engine). Needed by Add/Remove Module. Also, if you delete this file, Windows will display the classic logoff and logon prompts; however, you can reboot to Windows without it.

EVENTLOG.DLL....(Event Logging Service). If you delete this file, it will take a very long time for your system to reboot to Windows, but Windows will eventually open.

GDI32.DLL.......GDI Client DLL

hal.dll.........(Hardware Abstraction Layer). A file that hides hardware complexities from Windows applications.

IMAGEHLP.DLL....Windows NT Image Helper

IPHLPAPI.DLL....IP Helper API

kbdus.dll.......(United States Keyboard Layout). You may need a different KBD*.DLL depending upon your system. (See PART 7 of Guide.)

kdcom.dll.......Kernel Debugger HW Extension DLL

kernel32.dll....Windows NT BASE API Client DLL

l_intl.nls......

locale.nls......

LOGONUI.EXE.....(Windows Logon User Interface). The user interface that appears when Windows XP first starts. If you delete this file, Windows will display the classic logoff and logon prompts; however, you can reboot to Windows without it.

LSASRV.DLL......LSA Server DLL

LSASS.EXE.......(LSA Security Service). The Local Security Authority server process.

MPR.DLL.........Multiple Provider Router DLL

MSACM32.dll.....Microsoft ACM Audio Filter

MSASN1.DLL......ASN.1 Runtime APIs

MSGINA.DLL......(Windows NT Logon GINA DLL). Needed to load Logon User Interface

MSIMG32.DLL.....(GDIEXT Client DLL). Without this file you will need to click on OK to a Log On Message to enter Windows upon rebooting

MSPRIVS.DLL.....Microsoft Privilege Translations

MSV1_0.DLL......Microsoft Authentication Package v1.0

MSVCP60.DLL.....Microsoft ® C++ Runtime Library

MSVCRT.DLL......Windows NT CRT DLL

NCOBJAPI.DLL....

NDDEAPI.DLL.....Network DDE Share Management APIs

NETAPI32.DLL....Net Win32 API DLL

NTDLL.DLL.......NT Layer DLL

NTDSAPI.DLL.....(NT5DS Library) The library file, ntdsapi.dll, is used by windows when working with Directory Services. Directory Services is a mechanism employed by windows for easily locating devices and resources on a network.

NTMARTA.DLL.....(Windows NT MARTA provider). I can reboot to Windows without this file, but my Windows Style reverts to Default Blue. I usually have it set to Silver, so without the NTMARTA.DLL file present, after rebooting, I need to change my Windows Style back to Silver.

NTOSKRNL.EXE....(NT Kernel & System). Windows XP operating system Kernel

nv4_disp.dll....(NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver). Essential for Display Adapter. Needed just to be able to reboot to Windows.

ODBC32.DLL......Microsoft Data Access - ODBC Driver Manager

ODBCINT.DLL.....Microsoft Data Access - ODBC Resources

oleacc.dll......Active Accessibility Core Component

oleaccrc.dll....Active Accessibility Resource DLL

The above two files are both needed to avoid seeing these four Classic Logon prompts:

1.) (Upon rebooting to Windows) "Log On to Windows" ...Then you'll need to either click on OK, or if you use a password, type it in, and then click OK.

2.) (And then) "Loading your personal settings"

3.) (When restarting from your Desktop) "Please wait... Windows in saving your settings"

4.) (When restarting from your Desktop) "Windows is shutting down"

OLE32.DLL.......Microsoft OLE for Windows

OLEAUT32.DLL....

PROFMAP.DLL.....Userenv

PSAPI.DLL.......Process Status Helper

REGAPI.DLL......Registry Configuration API

RPCRT4.DLL .....Remote Procedure Call Runtime

RPCSS.DLL ......Distributed COM Services

RSAENH.DLL......(Microsoft Enhanced Cryptographic Provider). The RSAENH.DLL is needed to accurately check license for Windows.

SAMLIB.DLL......SAM Library DLL

SAMSRV.DLL......SAM Server DLL

SCESRV.DLL......Windows Security Configuration Editor Engine

SECUR32.DLL.....Security Support Provider Interface

services.exe....(Services and Controller app). Used by Windows XP to manage services.

SETUPAPI.DLL....Windows Setup API

SFC_OS.DLL......(Windows File Protection). You can reboot to Windows without this file, but not without first having to click OK on an error popup that appears when entering Windows that tells you that SFC_OS.DLL cannot be found.

SHDOCVW.DLL.....Shell Doc Object and Control Library

SHELL32.DLL.....Windows Shell Common Dll

shgina.dll......(Windows Shell User Logon). This file is needed just to restart your computer from your Desktop. Further, once you delete or move it from the system32 folder--even if you put it back--you still won't be able to restart from your Desktop.

SHLWAPI.DLL.....Shell Light-weight Utility Library

shsvcs.dll......Windows Shell Services Dll

SMSS.EXE........(Windows NT Session Manager). Session manager used to establish the Windows XP environment during bootup.

sortkey.nls.....

sorttbls.nls....

SVCHOST.EXE.....Generic Host Process for Win32 Services

SXS.DLL.........Fusion 2.5

umpnpmgr.dll....User-mode Plug-and-Play Service

unicode.nls.....

user32.dll......Windows XP USER API Client DLL

userenv.dll.....Userenv

USERINIT.EXE....(User Initialization). Used to establish the operating environment for a user after logon.

UXTHEME.DLL.....Microsoft UxTheme Library

VERSION.DLL.....Version Checking and File Installation Libraries

WATCHDOG.SYS....Watchdog Driver

WIN32K.SYS......Multi-User Win32 Driver

WININET.DLL.....Internet Extensions for Win32

WINLOGON.EXE....Windows NT Logon Application

WINSCARD.DLL....Microsoft Smart Card API

WINSPOOL.DRV....(Windows Spooler Driver). Important: If in PART 5 you choose to delete the system folder and its files (C:\WINDOWS\system), at least keep its "WINSPOOL.DRV" file. Or, at least keep the "WINSPOOL.DRV" file that is in the system32 folder (C:\WINDOWS\system32). Just be sure to keep one of them, or you may not be able to reboot to Windows.

WINSRV.DLL......Windows Server DLL

WINSTA.DLL......Winstation Library

WINTRUST.DLL....Microsoft Trust Verification APIs

WLDAP32.DLL.....Win32 LDAP API DLL

WOW32.DLL.......32-bit WOW Subsystem Library

wpa.dbl.........Windows Product Activation (WPA).

WS2_32.DLL......Windows Socket 2.0 32-Bit DLL

WS2HELP.DLL.....Windows Socket 2.0 Helper for Windows NT

XPSP2RES.DLL....Service Pack 2 Messages

Needed by System Properties and Device Manager

ADVPACK.DLL.....(Advpack Library). The library file advpack.dll is required for windows to operate. It is used by windows to verify .inf files. If advpack.dll is unavailable, windows will not function correctly. Needed to enter System Properties by right-clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties without receiving this error: "This application has failed to start because ADVPACK.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this." However, System Properties does open after clicking OK on the error popup...even without the file present.

ATL.DLL ........ATL Module for Windows XP (Unicode). Needed to enter System Properties without receiving an error. Also needed to enter Event Viewer console.

CABINET.DLL.....(Microsoft® Cabinet File API). Needed to enter System Properties by right-clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties without receiving this error: "This application has failed to start because Cabinet.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this." However, System Properties does open after clicking OK on the error popup...even without the file present.

certcli.dll.....(Microsoft® Certificate Services Client). Needed to display Properties of devices in Device Manager

CREDUI.DLL......Credential Manager User Interface

devmgmt.msc.....(Computer Management Console). Needed to access Hardware Device Manager

devmgr.dll......(Device Manager MMC Snapin). Needed to access Hardware Device Manager

dmocx.dll.......(TreeView OCX). Needed to access Hardware Device Manager

ESENT.DLL.......(Server Database Storage Engine). Needed to enter System Properties by right-clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties without receiving this error: "This application has failed to start because ESENT.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this." However, System Properties does open after clicking OK on the error popup...even without the file present.

imm32.dll ......(Windows XP IMM32 API Client DLL). Needed to enter System Properties by right-clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties without receiving this error: "This application has failed to start because IMM32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this." ...And System Properties will not open without it.

MSPATCHA.DLL....(Microsoft® Patch Engine). Needed to enter System Properties by right-clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties without receiving this error: "This application has failed to start because mspatcha.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this." However, System Properties will open after clicking OK on the error message...even without the file present.

msports.dll.....(Ports Class Installer). Needed to display fully Communications Port (Com1) and Printer Port (LPT1) Properties in Device Manager

MSXML3.DLL .....(MSXML 3.0 SP 5). Needed to enter and use Device Manager. Also needed to enter Event Viewer console.

MSXML3R.DLL.....(XML Resources). Needed to enter and use Device Manager. Also needed to enter Event Viewer console.

netid.dll.......(System Control Panel Applet; Network ID Page). Needed to see Computer Name tab in System Properties

POWRPROF.DLL....(Power Profile Helper DLL). Without this file present, you will receive an error when opening Properties for your Keyboard in Device Manager. However, the Properties for Keyboard will eventually open...even without the file present.

SFC.DLL.........(Windows File Protection). Needed to enter System Properties without recieving an error

SHFOLDER.DLL....(Shell Folder Service). Needed to enter System Properties by right-clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties without receiving this error: "This application has failed to start because SHFOLDER.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this." However, System Properties will open after clicking OK on the error message...even without this file present.

stdole2.tlb.....(Microsoft OLE 3.50 for Windows NT™ and Windows 95™ Operating Systems). Needed to display Properties of devices in Device Manager

storprop.dll....(Property Pages for Storage Devices). If I delete the storprop.dll, in the Device Manager, under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, I cannot view the Advanced tab in Primary IDE Channel or Secondary IDE Channel.

streamci.dll....(Streaming Device Class Installer). Needed for Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator Properties under System devices in Device manager. Without it, a report error will occur in the setupapi.log, which is created in C:\WINDOWS and reports how things went when opening Device Properties in Device Manager.

usbui.dll.......(USB UI Dll). Needed to display fully USB Universal Host Controller Properties and USB Root Hub Properties in Device Manager

usp10.dll.......(Uniscribe Unicode script processor). Needed to enter System Properties by right-clicking on My Computer

WINHTTP.DLL.....(Windows HTTP Services). Needed to enter System Properties by right-clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties without receiving this error: "This application has failed to start because WINHTTP.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this." However, System Properties will open after clicking OK on the error message...even without this file present.

WTSAPI32.DLL....Windows Terminal Server SDK APIs

wuaueng.dll....(Windows Update AutoUpdate Engine). When not present, I'll receive an error when trying to enter System Properties by right-clicking on My Computer.

Control Panel Applets I Keep

appwiz.cpl......Add/Remove Programs

desk.cpl........Display Properties

hdwwiz.cpl......Add Hardware Control Panel Applet

inetcpl.cpl.....Internet Control Panel

main.cpl........Mouse Properties

mmsys.cpl.......Sound and Audio

powercfg.cpl....Power Options

sysdm.cpl.......System Properties

timedate.cpl....Time and Date Properties

ASYCFILT.DLL....Needed by StatBar, a third-party program I have installed

Needed by Microsoft's Pinball Game

AUDIOSRV.DLL....(Windows Audio Service). Needed to hear the sounds made in Windows Pinball Game

mciseq.dll......MCI driver for MIDI sequencer

MSACM32.DRV.....(Microsoft Sound Mapper). Needed to hear the sounds made in Windows Pinball Game

WDMAUD.DRV......(WDM Audio driver mapper). Needed to hear the sounds made in Windows Pinball Game

Needed for Yahoo Messenger Installation

AVICAP32.dll....(AVI Capture window class). When installing Yahoo Messenger, I received this error pop-up message: "This application has failed to start because AVICAP32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." However, Yahoo Messenger did finally install successfully in spite of this error message.

mapi32.dll......Extended MAPI 1.0 for Windows NT

Needed by Plus! MP3 Audio Converter LE to convert .mp3 files to .wma files

avifil32.dll....Microsoft AVI File support library

iac25_32.ax.....Indeo® audio software

IMC32.ACM.......Intel Music Coder for MSACM

l3codeca.acm....(MPEG Layer-3 Audio Codec for MSACM). Also needed by WMP10 to play .mp3 music files.

msaud32.acm.....(File version: 8.0.0.4487). Windows Media Audio

msg723.acm......Microsoft G.723.1 CODEC for MSACM

sl_anet.acm.....Audio codec for MS ACM

WINMM.DLL.......MCI API DLL

wmspdmoe.dll....Windows Media Audio 9 Voice Encoder

BATMETER.DLL....(Battery Meter Helper DLL). Needed it to open Power Options in Control Panel

A WORD OF CAUTION about NLS files: Delete any one of these you shouldn't, and your system will not reboot. Delete others you shouldn't, and some Web Pages will not display for you.

NLS files = Code Page National Language Support, or National Language Services driver (font or font map).

I live in the United States and have a U.S. computer.

If you live outside of the United States, and using a foreign from U.S. computer, you will need to check within the Layout.ini file within your Prefetch folder to see exactly which NLS files your system uses.

The ones you need to at least reboot your computer will be listed there.

Figuring out which other NLS files you need to see certain Web Page content is a little more complicated than that. You kind of have to play with them a little.

Here's a trick. Group all your NLS files together in the system32 folder, and highlight them all. Open any Web page. Now try to delete all the NLS files you have highlighted. The one being used by your open Web Page, is the one that won't delete.

For my U.S. computer, I keep these NLS Files:

c_437.nls.......<-- Needed just to be able to boot to Windows

c_932.nls

c_936.nls

c_949.nls

c_950.nls

c_1250.nls

c_1251.nls

c_1252.nls......<-- Needed just to be able to boot to Windows

c_1253.nls

c_1254.nls

c_1255.nls

c_1256.nls

c_1257.nls

c_28591.nls

ctype.nls.......<-- Needed just to be able to boot to Windows

l_intl.nls......<-- Needed just to be able to boot to Windows

locale.nls......<-- Needed just to be able to boot to Windows

sortkey.nls.....<-- Needed just to be able to boot to Windows

sorttbls.nls....<-- Needed just to be able to boot to Windows

unicode.nls.....<-- Needed just to be able to boot to Windows

cabview.dll.....(Cabinet File Viewer Shell Extension). Needed to view inside .cab files

Needed to play Windows Solitaire

cards.dll.......(Entertainment Pack Cardplaying Helper DLL).

SOL.EXE.........(Solitaire). A GUI solitaire card game.

Needed by Windows Update

CDM.DLL.........(Windows Update CDM Stub).

crtdll.dll......(Cryptography Manager). Needed for Cryptographic Services

cryptsvc.dll....(Cryptographic Services). Needed for Cryptographic Services

DCIMAN32.DLL....DCI Manager

dssenh.dll......Microsoft Enhanced DSS and Diffie-Hellman Cryptographic Provider

GWFSPidGen.dll..PidGen

iuengine.dll....Windows Update Control Engine

JSCRIPT.DLL.....Microsoft ® JScript

LegitCheckControl.dll..Windows Genuine Advantage Validation

licdll.dll......Licdll Module

pidgen.dll......Pid3.0 generation

qmgr.dll........Background Intelligent Transfer Service

rasapi32.dll....Remote Access API

rasman.dll......Remote Access Connection Manager

RTUTILS.DLL.....(Routing Utilities). Needed to get to Windows Update from your Start Menu shortcut

SCHANNEL.DLL....TLS / SSL Security Provider

TAPI32.DLL .....(Microsoft® Windows™ Telephony API Client DLL). Needed to get to Windows Update from your Start Menu shortcut

WLNOTIFY.DLL....Common DLL to receive Winlogon notifications

WUAPI.DLL.......Windows Update Client API

WUAUCLT.EXE.....(Windows Update). An auto-update client.

wuauclt1.exe....Windows Update AutoUpdate Client

WUAUENG1.DLL....Windows Update AutoUpdate Engine

wuauserv.dll....Windows Update AutoUpdate Service

WUCLTUI.DLL.....Windows Update Client UI Plugin

wupdmgr.exe.....Windows Update Manager for NT

WUPS.DLL........Windows Update client proxy stub

wups2.dll.......Windows Update client proxy stub 2

WUWEB.DLL.......Windows Update Web Control

What Is Microsoft Update?

It's the new website from Microsoft that helps you update Microsoft Windows and many other Microsoft programs that you've installed, such as Microsoft Office, Microsoft Exchange Server and Microsoft SQL Server, all in one convenient place.

If I use Microsoft Update, do I still need to visit the Windows Update website?

No. Microsoft Update provides the same updates you find on the Windows Update website and more. Microsoft Update is designed to make it easier for you to update Windows and your Microsoft products in one place.

If you are going to install the New Microsoft Update Software, you will need these files in addition to those listed above:

muweb.dll......(Microsoft Update Web Control). Installed by New Microsoft Update Software

These files comprise CHKDSK

CFGMGR32.DLL....Configuration Manager Forwarder DLL

CHKDSK.EXE......(Check Disk). A disk inspection tool that can search for and repair disk errors.

dskquota.dll....Windows Shell Disk Quota Support DLL

dskquoui.dll....Windows Shell Disk Quota UI DLL

fmifs.dll.......FM IFS Utility DLL

ifsutil.dll.....IFS Utility DLL

MFC42.DLL.......MFCDLL Shared Library - Retail Version

rshx32.dll......Security Shell Extension

twext.dll.......Previous Versions property page

ULIB.DLL........File Utilities Support DLL

untfs.dll.......NTFS Utility DLL

CMD.EXE........(Command Prompt). An executable that provides the command prompt (MS-DOS shell interpreter) for Windows NT. Needed (at the very least) to be able to execute a batch file.

Needed to view Summary tab in Properties of files

cryptext.dll....Crypto Shell Extensions

docprop.dll.....OLE DocFile Property Page

docprop2.dll....Microsoft DocProp Shell Ext

Needed to watch Yahoo Movie Trailers

dispex.dll......Microsoft ® DispEx

iepeers.dll.....Internet Explorer Peer Objects

NETCFGX.DLL.....(Network Configuration Objects). I start receiving DCOM errors in Event Viewer when I delete this file. It is also needed to open and to view Network Connections from Control Panel.

NETMAN.DLL......(Network Connections Manager). I start receiving DCOM errors in Event Viewer when I delete this file. It is also needed to open and to view Network Connections from Control Panel.

NETSHELL.DLL....Network Connections Shell

wmnetmgr.dll....Windows Media Network Plugin Manager DLL

WMVCORE.DLL.....Windows Media Playback/Authoring DLL

DirectX

I don't delete all DirectX files...just nearly all of them. (See PART 9 for those DirectX files I delete.)

I don't play games on my computer, so I really don't need the extra graphics and sound support DirectX offers. However, I do keep a few DirectX files, because NVDVD Player needs them, and two other DirectX files, because Windows Media Player 10 needs them.

d3d8thk.dll....(Microsoft Direct3D OS Thunk Layer). Needed by NVDVD Player

d3d9.dll.......(Microsoft Direct3D). Needed by NVDVD Player

d3dim700.dll...(Microsoft Direct3D). Needed by NVDVD Player

ddraw.dll......(Microsoft DirectDraw). Needed by NVDVD Player

ddrawex.dll.....(Direct Draw Ex). <-- If you are going to install the New Microsoft Update Software, you will need this file

devenum.dll....(Device enumeration). Needed by NVDVD Player

dsound.dll.....(DirectSound). Needed by Windows Media Player 10

dxtmsft.dll.....(DirectX Media -- Image DirectX Transforms). <-- If you are going to install the New Microsoft Update Software, you will need this file

dxtrans.dll.....(DirectX Media -- DirectX Transform Core). <-- If you are going to install the New Microsoft Update Software, you will need this file

ksuser.dll.....(User CSA Library). Needed by NVDVD Player

msdmo.dll......(DMO Runtime). Needed by NVDVD Player

qdvd.dll.......(DirectShow DVD Playback Runtime). Needed by NVDVD Player

quartz.dll.....(DirectShow Runtime). Needed by Windows Media Player 10

In Display Properties -> Settings tab -> Advanced button, these files are needed to view the content under the Adapter and Troubleshooting tabs.

deskadp.dll.....Advanced display adapter properties

deskmon.dll.....Advanced display monitor properties

deskperf.dll....Advanced display performance properties

Third-party Codecs

DivX.dll........(DivX® Codec for Windows). Installed by DivX

divxdec.ax......(DivX® Decoder Filter). Installed by DivX

DivXAF.ax.......(DivX AntiFreeze Filter). Third-party codec I installed to prevent video freezing on damaged video

Windows Media Player 10

I keep about 35% of the Windows Media Player 10 files installed on my system. (See PART 9 for the 65% of Windows Media Player 10 files I do delete. You'll also find in PART 9 mplayer2 files I delete.)

This list are those files I keep in order for Windows Media Player 10 to function properly.

dsound.dll......DirectSound

mcicda.dll......(MCI driver for cdaudio devices). Needed by Windows Media Player 10 burning process

msvfw32.dll.....Microsoft Video for Windows DLL

MSWMDM.dll......(Windows Media Device Manager Core). Needed by Windows Media Player 10 burning process

quartz.dll......DirectShow Runtime

shmedia.dll.....(Media File Property Extractor Shell Extension). Needed by Windows Media Player 10 burning process

WMASF.DLL.......Windows Media ASF DLL

WMDMPS.dll......(Windows Media Device Manager Proxy Stub). Needed by Windows Media Player 10 burning process

WMP.DLL.........Windows Media Player Core

wmpcd.dll.......Windows Media Player

WMPLOC.DLL......Windows Media Player

wmpshell.dll....Windows Media Player Launcher

Audio Codecs I do not delete:

acelpdec.ax....(ACELP.net Audio Decoder). Needed by NVDVD

l3codeca.acm....(MPEG Layer-3 Audio Codec for MSACM). Needed by WMP10 to play .mp3 music files. Also needed by Plus! MP3 Audio Converter LE to convert .mp3 files to .wma files.

l3codecx.ax.....(MPEG Layer-3 Audio Decoder). Codec needed for WMP10 to play .avi files

msadp32.acm.....(Microsoft ADPCM CODEC for MSACM). Codec needed by Yahoo Voice Chat

msg711.acm......(Microsoft CCITT G.711 (A-Law and u-Law) CODEC for MSACM). Codec needed by Yahoo Voice Chat

msg723.acm......(Microsoft G.723.1 CODEC for MSACM). Needed by Plus! MP3 Audio Converter LE to convert .mp3 files to .wma files

msgsm32.acm.....(Microsoft GSM 6.10 Audio CODEC for MSACM). Codec needed by Yahoo Voice Chat

tsd32.dll.......(DSP Group TrueSpeech™ Audio Encoder & Decoder). Needed by Yahoo Chat

tssoft32.acm....(DSP Group TrueSpeech™ Audio Codec for MSACM V3.50.). Codec needed by Yahoo Voice Chat

wmadmod.dll.....Windows Media Audio Decoder

wmadmoe.dll.....(Windows Media Audio Encoder/Transcoder). Needed by Windows Media Player 10 ripping process

wmspdmoe.dll....(Windows Media Audio 9 Voice Encoder). Needed by Plus! MP3 Audio Converter LE to convert .mp3 files to .wma files

Video Codecs I do not delete:

l3codeca.acm....(MPEG Layer-3 Audio Codec for MSACM). Needed by WMP10 to play .mp3 music files. Also needed by Plus! MP3 Audio Converter LE to convert .mp3 files to .wma files.

l3codecx.ax.....(MPEG Layer-3 Audio Decoder). Codec needed for WMP10 to play .avi files

mpg4dmod.dll....(Corona Windows Media MPEG-4 S Video Decoder). Needed to be able to adjust the brightness in WMP10 for certain videos

wmvdmod.dll.....Windows Media Video Decoder

Needed by Add/Remove Module

duser.dll.......(Windows DirectUser Engine). Needed by Add/Remove Module. Also, if you delete this file, Windows will display the classic logoff and logon prompts.

xpsp1res.dll ...(Service Pack 1 Messages). Needed to open Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel

ERASER.DLL .....(Eraser Library). Installed by the Eraser program, and needed by it to operate.

Needed by Services window

filemgmt.dll....Services and Shared Folders

mfc42u.dll......(MFCDLL Shared Library - Retail Version). Needed by Services Viewer. And also needed by Worpdad.

mmcbase.dll.....(MMC Base DLL). Needed to access Services from the Start Menu

mmcndmgr.dll....(MMC Node Manager DLL). Needed to access Services from the Start Menu

services.msc....Services Viewer Microsoft Management Console

To do with Fonts

FNTCACHE.DAT....(Font Cache). If deleted, Windows will rebuild a new FNTCACHE.DAT file the next time you reboot your system. NOTE: After I delete all of the fonts outlined in PART 5, I delete the FNTCACHE.DAT file from C:\WINDOWS\system32, and then reboot my system. Windows will then rebuild a new FNTCACHE.DAT file upon rebooting.

fontext.dll.....(Windows Font Folder). Needed to maintain selected view of Font Folder, and also needed to display the default icon for .TTF Fonts

FONTVIEW.EXE....(Font View). A command-line utility that displays a sample output for a font in a printable GUI window.

LZ32.DLL........(LZ Expand/Compress API DLL). The LZ32.DLL is needed to display properly the default icon for .ttf extension fonts. Also, without it, should you double-click on a .ttf font file to view in Font View, you will receive an Application Popup error saying that this application failed to start because LZ32.dll was not found. However, the Font View will open after you click OK on the error popup. And reportedly, some install setups fail to start, and the DirectX Diagnostic Tool (dxdiag.exe) also exhibits an error upon loading.

framebuf.dll....(Framebuffer Display Driver). Needed so graphics in safemode don't looked all screwed up

framedyn.dll....WMI SDK Provider Framework

I moved the framedyn.dll to the system32 folder from the wbem folder before I deleted the wbem folder and its contents. This I did in PART 2.

Sometimes when you run System Restore you will receive this error: "System restore was unable to start due to a missing framedyn.dll. Please reinstall the application to fix this problem." I personally don't use Windows System Restore, but this is good to know for someone who does.

Without "framedyn.dll" you might also get an error when right-clicking on My Computer to enter System Properties.

Keeping the framedyn.dll file in the system32 folder prevents any of this from happening.

glu32.dll.......(OpenGL Utility Library DLL). Reportedly, glu32.dll is used by windows to allow for the use of OpenGL which is an industry standard for 3D graphics. If opengl32.dll is unavailable, any software that uses OpenGL to display graphics, will not work.

That may or may not be necessarily true. I haven't used every piece of software that uses OpenGL.

Deleting glu32.dll can however sometimes lead to an Application Popup Error similar to this one: Application popup: vlc.exe - Unable To Locate Component: This application has failed to start because GLU32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

In my case, VLC Media Player will eventually open video files for me, but not without this error showing up first.

GRPCONV.EXE.....(Group Convert). Converts Microsoft Windows 3.x and Microsoft Windows for Workgroups Program Manager groups into Start menu items. Needed by some programs to install

hccoin.dll......(USB Coinstaller). Needed by Intel Chipset INF Update Utility

Needed by Acronis True Image

hhctrl.ocx......Microsoft® HTML Help Control

Installed by Acronis True Image, and needed by it to operate:

setupnt.dll.....Setupnt Dynamic Link Library

SNAPAPI.DLL.....Acronis Snapshot Dynamic Link Library

Needed by Realtek Sound Card

hid.dll.........(Hid User Library). Needed to open Realtek's Audio Configuration Utility (soundman.exe in C:\WINDOWS)

ksproxy.ax......(WDM Streaming ActiveMovie Proxy). Realtek AC'97 asks for this file when installing audio drivers

newdev.dll......(Add Hardware Device Library). Realtek's Driver Installer (alcupd.exe file in C:\WINDOWS) needs this file to install drivers. I'm sure other devices need it too.

RTLCPAPI.dll....RtlCPAPI Module

These 3 .WAV files are also created by Realtek Sound Card. If I remove these .WAV files, they are re-created as soon as I open the Realtek Audio Control Panel (RTLCPL.EXE)...with "ALSNDMGR.WAV" being the exception. ALSNDMGR.WAV is the one .WAV file that has so far not re-created itself. I have ALSNDMGR.WAV deleted in PART 10.

ALSNDMGR.WAV

BuzzingBee.wav

LoopyMusic.wav

Needed by Wordpad

html.iec........(Microsoft HTML Converter). Needed to be able to copy text from a web page and paste it to Wordpad

mfc42u.dll......(MFCDLL Shared Library - Retail Version). Needed by Wordpad. And also needed by Services Viewer.

msftedit.dll....Rich Text Edit Control, v4.1

oledlg.dll .....(Microsoft Windows™ OLE 2.0 User Interface Support). Needed by Wordpad. And also needed to connect to Kazza Lite.

I263_32.DRV.....(Intel I.263 Video Driver 2.55.012). Third-party codec I need to play one particular video I have saved

Needed by Yahoo Chat

imaadp32.acm....(IMA ADPCM CODEC for MSACM). Codec needed by Yahoo Voice Chat

msadp32.acm.....(Microsoft ADPCM CODEC for MSACM). Codec needed by Yahoo Voice Chat

msg711.acm......(Microsoft CCITT G.711 (A-Law and u-Law) CODEC for MSACM). Codec needed by Yahoo Voice Chat

msgsm32.acm.....(Microsoft GSM 6.10 Audio CODEC for MSACM). Codec needed by Yahoo Voice Chat

netmsg.dll......Net Messages DLL

tsd32.dll.......DSP Group TrueSpeech™ Audio Encoder & Decoder

tssoft32.acm....(DSP Group TrueSpeech™ Audio Codec for MSACM V3.50). Codec needed by Yahoo Voice Chat

vbscript.dll....Microsoft ® VBScript

IMAPI.EXE.......(CD-Burning COM Service). Manages CD recording using Image Mastering Applications Programming Interface (IMAPI). If this service is stopped the computer cannot burn CDs using Windows Media Player 10.

inetcplc.dll....(Internet Control Panel). Needed to access Internet Options

itss.dll........(Microsoft® InfoTech Storage System Library). Cannot open a *.chm help file without this file. You will receive an error similar to this when you do: "Can not open the file: mk:@MSITStore".

MPNOTIFY.EXE....(Multiple Provider Notify). Used by the WinLogon service to notify non-Microsoft network servers about security events

These files are needed by SpywareBlaster

MSCOMCTL.OCX....Windows Common Controls ActiveX Control DLL

MSINET.OCX......Microsoft Internet Transfer Control DLL

MSSTDFMT.DLL....(Microsoft Standard Data Formating Object DLL). I noticed that if I delete this file, when I download and install the latest version of SpywareBlaster, the installation restores it to system32.

msconfig.exe....(System Configuration Utility). Designed to help you troubleshoot problems with your computer. MSCONFIG can also be used to ensure that your computer boots faster and crashes less. I moved msconfig.exe to the system32 folder from C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries before I deleted the pchealth folder and its contents in PART 5.

MSHTML.TLB......(Microsoft ® MSHTML Typelib). Needed to be able to save a Webpage as an offline Webpage with a .mht extension.

MSHTMLED.DLL....(Microsoft ® HTML Editing Component). This file gives you the ability to edit HTML. An example of that would be when you edit one of your posts on some forums. You wouldn't be able to do that without this file.

Windows Installer

MSI.DLL.........Windows Installer

MSIEXEC.EXE.....(Windows Installer). Used to create install packages for applications and programs

msihnd.dll......Windows® installer

Needed by Kazaa Lite

msisip.dll......MSI Signature SIP Provider

oledlg.dll .....(Microsoft Windows™ OLE 2.0 User Interface Support). Needed to connect to Kazza Lite. And also needed by Wordpad.

olepro32.dll....Needed to connect to Kazza Lite.

riched20.dll....(Rich Text Edit Control, v3.0). Needed by Kazaa Lite. Also needed to read Information and Error Messages (Event Properties) in Event Viewer.

MSPAINT.EXE.....(Microsoft Paint). A basic graphics creation and viewing tool

Needed by Task Scheduler

mstask.dll......Task Scheduler interface DLL

MSTINIT.EXE.....(Task Scheduler Setup). Allows scheduling automated tasks.

schedsvc.dll....(Task Scheduler Engine). This is Task Scheduler Service. (Incidentally, Task Scheduler Service is also needed for Prefetch to operate.)

mydocs.dll......(My Documents Folder UI). Needed to display properly the My Documents Icon. You can delete this file safely if you want. It just kind of annoys me to see icon displayed improperly.

Needed by Nero Program (See PART 9 for Nero Program files I do delete.)

NeroCheck.exe...NeroCheck

OLETHK32.DLL....Microsoft OLE for Windows

NOTEPAD.EXE.....(Notepad). Notepad text-editing utility

NVIDIA Display Drivers

I find I can delete a little over half of the files NVIDIA places in the system32 folder, and everything will still be in good working order after...at least as far as my needs go. (See PART 9 for NVIDIA files I delete.)

I keep these NVIDIA files in C:\WINDOWS\system32:

nv4_disp.dll....(NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver). Essential for Display Adapter

nvapps.xml......<-- You can delete this file, but it will only return after a reboot.

nvcod.dll.......NVIDIA Driver CoInstaller

nvcpl.dll.......NVIDIA Display Properties Extension

nvdisp.nvu......When I deleted this seemingly harmless file, I started getting a Memory Error Popup just as I would click to restart my computer. This Memory Error Popup reflected as an Application Error in the Event Viewer. Even when I put the file back in the system32 folder, the errors would continue. I also keep this file because if you open it with Notepad, you can see that it gives proper guidance to the uninstall process. It directs what to remove and what to unregister in the registry.

nvshell.dll.....NVIDIA Desktop Explorer

nvudisp.exe.....(NVIDIA Uninstaller Utility). I keep the nvudisp.exe file, because it is needed by NVIDIA to uninstall older drivers before installing new drivers during the updating process.

occache.dll.....(Object Control Viewer). Needed to view icon for ActiveX objects in Downloaded Program Files. Otherwise, the ActiveX objects show up as .ini files.

opengl32.dll....(OpenGL Client DLL). Reportedly, opengl32.dll is used by windows to allow for the use of OpenGL which is an industry standard for 3D graphics. If opengl32.dll is unavailable, any software that uses OpenGL to display graphics, will not work.

That may or may not be necessarily true. I haven't used every piece of software that uses OpenGL.

Deleting opengl32.dll can however sometimes lead to an Application Popup Error similar to this one: Application popup: vlc.exe - Unable To Locate Component: This application has failed to start because OPENGL32.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

In my case, VLC media player will eventually open video files, but not without that error showing up first.

REGSVR32.EXE....(Microsoft© Register Server). You can use the Regsvr32 tool (Regsvr32.exe) to register and unregister object linking and embedding (OLE) controls such as dynamic-link library (DLL) or ActiveX Controls (OCX) files that are self-registerable

RUNDLL32.EXE....(Run DLL). Used to run DLL files from a command line

RUNONCE.EXE.....(Run Once). Used to perform tasks as defined in the RunOnce Registry key

Needed to display Properties button in Control Panel > Keyboard > Hardware without receiving an error

sfcfiles.dll....Windows 2000 System File Checker

syssetup.dll....Windows NT System Setup

SHUTDOWN.EXE....(Remote Shutdown Tool). Allows shutdowns and restarts on local or remote PCs. I need this file to create a reboot computer shortcut in my Quick Launch.

SNDREC32.EXE....(Sound Recorder). A sound recorder application

SNDVOL32.EXE....(Volume Control). A GUI volume application

stdole2.tlb ....(Microsoft OLE 3.50 for Windows NT™ and Windows 95™ Operating Systems). Needed to display Properties of devices in Device Manager

stdole32.tlb....Microsoft OLE 2.1 for Windows NT™ Operating System

When you try to install a program that uses InstallShield, you may receive the following error message: "The install Shield engine "ikernel.exe" could not be launched -Error loading type library /dll."

This issue may occur if one or more of the following files are missing from the Windows\System32 folder:

• Stdole.tlb....<--This file is actually in C:\WINDOWS\system. (See PART 5)

• Stdole2.tlb...

• Stdole32.tlb..

Needed by Windows Task Manager

TASKMGR.EXE.....(Task Manager). The Task Manager application

vdmdbg.dll......(VDMDBG.DLL). Needed to access Windows Task Manager

themeui.dll.....(Windows Theme API). Needed by Display Properties

W32TIME.DLL.....(Windows Time Service). Needed to start Windows Time Service and to successfully synchronize time with an Internet server.

WINVER.EXE......(Version Reporter Applet). Displays the current Windows version

WMI.DLL.........(WMI DC and DP functionality). When I delete WMI.DLL, I start receiving DCOM errors in Event Viewer. Needed also to open and to view Network Connections from Control Panel, and needed to enter Computer Management without receiving an error.

WZCSVC.DLL......(Wireless Zero Configuration Service). When I delete this file, I start receiving DCOM errors in the Event Viewer. It is needed to open and to view Network Connections from Control Panel.

xpsp3res.dll....(Service Pack 3 Messages).

This Windows Update shows up after deleting the xpsp3res.dll file:

Security Update for Windows XP (KB890046)

Typical download size: 469 KB , 1 minute

A security issue has been identified in Microsoft Agent that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

If you install this Update, the xpsp3res.dll is once again created in system32.

Belong to XviD Codec

xvid.ax

xvidcore.dll

xvidvfw.dll

zipfldr.dll ......(Compressed (zipped) Folders). Needed to package files in Compressed (zipped) form

This post has been edited by Bold_Fortune: Dec 31 2005, 10:04 PM

Edited by mraeryceos

If you are going to install the New Microsoft Update Software, you will need these files in addition to those listed above:

so do we just tell nlite to not delete these files and thats it?

Respectfully, a few of us found it great here. Just a balancing comment here really. Really think the wiki idea would cover the bases of course... No better way at present so Thank You and yeah, it's a long list! :)

Usually when I answer, I quote the former post.

I think I won't do that today. :)

Thanks for your list.

I'll try to put it into the wiki.

Stumbled on that.

Norton Antivirus

Error: You will lose some functionality.

Norton used to (I'm not using it anymore) rely on Task Scheduler to schedule Automatic scans and Virus list updates.

Bootvis

this is not true...

True.

No, false.

No, in fact, true.

Or rather, false.

Or..... :wacko:

You're right minigun : it will start but will fail on the optimization stage.

I don't know if it processes partially or not at all.

Bootvis was not designed for this so it still works.

The reality is that Prefetcher and some other things Bootvis uses to optimize the computer are dependent on Task Scheduler.

Thanks for your list.

Your wiki only has 2 entries AFAIK. Are you saying your wiki has tons of entries?

Also, is your wiki listed at http://unattended.msfn.org, or as a sticky on this forum, or at the nuhi site, or whatever place it is that represents the collective? Sure there are disadvantages to the forum, but at least it's more or less in one place.

Bootvis

this is not true...

True.

No, false.

No, in fact, true.

Or rather, false.

Or..... :wacko:

You're right minigun : it will start but will fail on the optimization stage.

I don't know if it processes partially or not at all.

Bootvis was not designed for this so it still works.

The reality is that Prefetcher and some other things Bootvis uses to optimize the computer are dependent on Task Scheduler.

well i ran it yesterday (optimiation and all) and it didnt give me errors... i must be special

:whistle::thumbup

Thanks for your list.

Your wiki only has 2 entries AFAIK. Are you saying your wiki has tons of entries?

Also, is your wiki listed at http://unattended.msfn.org, or as a sticky on this forum, or at the nuhi site, or whatever place it is that represents the collective? Sure there are disadvantages to the forum, but at least it's more or less in one place.

Only 2 because it started 2 days ago. :D

And by definition, a wiki is collective. :P

The wiki has some advantages : easier to maintain, auto summary...

@minigun, woow, can't believe that.

Of course I trust you, but it seems weird to my mind.

It's been a long time I didn't use this function, but normally, the defrag part will fail. ;)

@minigun, woow, can't believe that.

Of course I trust you, but it seems weird to my mind.

It's been a long time I didn't use this function, but normally, the defrag part will fail. ;)

ill do some more testing soon to make double sure

:thumbup

Thanks for your list.

2 ? :D

It's wiki : update easily when you have time. B)

• 2 weeks later...