[Question] Is it possible to install Win98SE on a dual boot on an XP H

Phil K

I have just got a new AMD X2 4200 comp, and while I love all the bells and whistles, I yearn to play the old game "Z"....its followup Steel Soldiers was dreadful, and I dumped it. But Bitmap brothers refuse to make the original game playable for XP so I have not played the game for some years now. (The hurt never ends ! :lol: ) I have tried every way mentioned whether through "dosbox" or a Z that was supposed to have been done to work on XP out of the box as it where.

None did.

So, a last resort - is it at all possible to create a small partition, and put 98SE onto it, along with the original Z ? I have tried and it wont let me, as obviously, XP is far more recent.

Is there a way ?

Title edited -- Please, use [TAGS] in your topic's title.

Follow new rules

--Sonic

Edited by Sonic

Normally, you install Win98SE on first partition of your disk, and after when you install WinXP from win98, the xp's setup manage the startup menu to allow boot win98 or winxp ... I havn't easy solution for you sorry, try to search in Windows 98 section perhaps. Goodluck.

You have to have the hard disk partitioned.

TRUE :thumbup

Also, you have to have XP installed with the Fat32 file system.

FALSE, :no:

you can use a bootmanager - WITHOUT using the double boot features of standard NTLDR - to hide/unhide partitions and set/unset them bootable at startup.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

You have to have the hard disk partitioned.

TRUE :thumbup

Also, you have to have XP installed with the Fat32 file system.

FALSE, :no:

you can use a bootmanager - WITHOUT using the double boot features of standard NTLDR - to hide/unhide partitions and set/unset them bootable at startup.

jaclaz

Jaclaz - you give me hope, and i thank you for that. with me being slightly better than totally useless :whistle: it may take me a while to suss it out from your link, but at least theres hope ! ;)

Edited by Phil K

I've done something similar but slightly differently.

│---C (XP, NTFS)---│---C (WinME, FAT32)---│

I use Partition Magic loaded from DOS (or multi-boot CD) to hide/unhide the XP or WinME partition (both primary).

The WinME is only temporary and I don't want any boot manager.

Edited by Takeshi

Just for the record, there is a (quite obviously VERY simple) bootmanager that fits in the MBR (512 bytes), so that it is quite easy to revert the system back being SURE there is NO leftover.

Read about it and more here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=47206

@Takeshi,

with Partition Manager comes a small program that can run from WITHIN your Windows Installs, or you can use the FREEWARE MBRWIZARD

Read here:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...ic=14181&st=611

posts by me to sisal and back

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

You need to have a formatted FAT32 partition to install 98se to.

Be sure to save your existing C: bootsector as 98se install overwrite it.

After installation, restore the bootsector to the original one and edit boot.ini to include an entry for booting from D:\, then reboot.

You will have dual-boot system.

Edited by LLXX

I'm inclined to agree with fireware. Odds are the program isn't going to have overly powerful system requirements, so you can probably get away with running it in a virtual machine without issue. On top of that, you can run them full screen for the best experience.

You need to have a formatted FAT32 partition to install 98se to.

Be sure to save your existing C: bootsector as 98se install overwrite it.

After installation, restore the bootsector to the original one and edit boot.ini to include an entry for booting from D:\, then reboot.

You will have dual-boot system.

NO, you will have an UNBOOTABLE SYSTEM.

NTLDR needs to be pointed to EITHER:

an arcpath, like in:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Pro" /fastdetect

or to a copy of a bootsector like in:

C:\Bootsect.w98="Windows 98"

But the IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS and COMMAND.COM, and AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS have to be on the C:\ drive (First Active Primary partition), i.e. on the SAME partition where NTLDR BOOT.INI and NTDETECT.COM are.

In one of the links from the page I previously pointed to there is a workaround, without using a bootmanager on a single drive on which XP on a NTFS partition is already installed:

http://thpc.info/dual/dual9xonntfs1.html

Just for the record, I personally suggest to always have a VERY small FAT16 or FAT32 partition as First Active Primary Partition, as it allows for the greater flexibility and allows the use of bootpart to manage boot.ini entries.

Finally it is possible, though not widely known, to install Win9x to a Logical Volume inside an Extended Partition though it is a bit tricky, and NOT recommended.

jaclaz