FlyakiteOSX

Squeeto

It provides an XP theme, a dock as in MacOS, a new set of icons, hacked logon, logout, startup, shutdown screen. It also changes some colors in cmd.exe which makes it look much nicer.

It's a nice one. Moreover you can decide not to install everything such as 128x128 icons which would make your shell32.dll too fat.

But it's not XPize : you cannot integrate it. In fact, you can : I managed to. But it's hard and really long. I did it as proof-of-concept.

If you could convince the developper to take a look at the slipstreaming and change the installation mode, it would be much easier in fact.

Edited by Camarade_Tux

:D My 3 year old just asked-

Baba, are you talking to that penguin now?

Cute.

So it is an XP thing not for W2k. Not really legal to mod a W2k system with XP skinning files either.

On a side note, how far have we delved into illegal gray with hfslip?

I checked out

http://www.themexp.org/listings.php?type=icon&view=date

and there are 587 of these icon sets.

Would you bring me to speed? Can XPize use these? I am really liking flipping desktop themes since TommyP hooked me up with bbLean; it would be nice to change up icons once in a while. :)

I know if I had endless hours I could play with everything but...

Folk in this forum are well experienced and it is appreciated.

You can certainly use this under win2k. The only thing that will be missing will be the visual theme and I think I've seen a project on msfn to port visual themes to win2k. It shouldn't be a problem.

Moreover, the dock can be used on any computer (95/98 or NT) and there is always WindowBlinds that will do the trick.

As for the icons, XPize can't use them. I once made an integrator for use with bricopacks. However, it was not really usable by anyone.

Someone on the nLite's addon board asked for a Vista Icon pack integrator. I'll try this weekend and keep you informed.

(this one will be much usable than the one for bricopacks though they are nearly the sames)

Not really legal to mod a W2k system with XP skinning files either.

On a side note, how far have we delved into illegal gray with hfslip?

I think it might be illegal to use XP system files and possibly even M$ themes - but it is certainly NOT illegal for people to use (mis use?) free XP themes under win2k. But then they were not designed for 2k

and I think it would take a LOT of trickery to make them close to working.

Illegal gray with Hfslip? hmmmm.

These are not the droids you are looking for, you may move on.

p.s. a MAC look? eeeeeeuuu. If you want a REALLY good & free dock pgm, try RocketDock (works with dual monitor setups too)

http://www.punksoftware.com/

Edited by Electrician

At first I thought my new avatar was not the best but I'm now loving it. ;)

The illegal thing is to change (in other words : "hack") windows's files.

And I'm sure everybody here does. It's likely the slipstreaming process modifies some files.

You will never care because the updates come from microsoft, why would microsoft know you did such a thing, you will not bother MS's support which is probably the true reason why they forbid modifying system files.

And I'm sure everybody here does. It's likely the slipstreaming process modifies some files.

You will never care because the updates come from microsoft, why would microsoft know you did such a thing, you will not bother MS's support which is probably the true reason why they forbid modifying system files.

My prev comment was not meant to accuse...

I don't think it is illegal to hack files on your system, tho they may have an argument that to do so, requires some level of reverse engineering. As long as you don't share M$ components...

And, yes, I don't think they would harass msfn folk because we are being "enthusiasts".

Still, don't kick a giant.

@squeeto

ref to Star Wars - Jedi mind trick used to get past Empire solders.

My prev comment was not meant to accuse...

I don't think it is illegal to hack files on your system, tho they may have an argument that to do so, requires some level of reverse engineering. As long as you don't share M$ components...

And, yes, I don't think they would harass msfn folk because we are being "enthusiasts".

Still, don't kick a giant.

Yes of course, this was not an accusation.

IMHO you can do what you want on your computer as long as you did not steal anything. Just like you can do what you want with your wife even if it is something the law forbids; it's your home, you're computer, not MS's.

Anyway, EULAs are sometime disturbing : MacOS's one doesn't let you install it on a non-Apple computer. A bit intrusive, isn't it ? :whistle: