Hi! I'm new here! what is this forum all about?

ohmss006

Hi everyone! I'm new here!

what is this forum all about? i was looking my favourite Operating system Microsoft Windows 98 on Wikipedia and i was directed here from there from one of hte few links listed.

alot of people literally disregard Win98 as obselete, but i take that as an insult, as i am very much still in love with windows 98, even though i dont have the greatest experience with it like you lot, but i know it is one of the best OS's there was, just like IE6 was never changed for many years.

i have been reading about the OS, and i know apprantly it cant take alot of the newer stuff that is in the market today.

but before i go into that, what am i to expect in this forum? and through all these threads, yes i know it may seem silly to be asking this, but i really love the Os and thus after seeing this site, i thought i could gain some knowlege here.

also! i am literally building a computer with top specs, and i was hoping to use Microsoft windows 98(SE) on it, as i know i can probably gain even more potential with it than with a computer from a year ago.

i would really appreciate it if anyone can help me here, and to know alot more htan wat i already know of the operating system that i and all of us dearly beloved.

thanks, and will look forward form hearing you lot.

The easy way? All roads these days are mostly covered for you by using -

http://www.msfn.org/board/Auto_Patcher_Win...ish_t80800.html

A new version is being released shortly so don't go downloading that big thing yet. It should be up quite shortly. Don't sit and wait, but from reading the thread it looks like it's coming soon.

But, other nice things are the Tihiy Revolution Pack, the Kernel Update Project, and smaller specific collections by Maximus-Decim.

But, the Unofficial Auto-Patcher for Windows 98SE is kind of an all in one with the oldest to most recent patches, which also avoids installing out of date useless patches which have been replaced by newer unofficial ones that actually do what they're supposed to. Use instead of Windows Update when starting fresh or even on an old installation that you want to make sure has all the best patches installed. It won't reinstall stuff you already have. Quite nice.

Besides that, you can ask for help, search for things that have been covered already, etc.

Welcome aboard!

but i know it is one of the best OS's there was, just like IE6 was never changed for many years

What's that supposed to mean? If you didn't know, IE6 wasn't updated for many years not because of how great it was, but because M$ had as good as achieved a monopoly on the web browser share.

ohh right. cool.

well may i ask, is this Auto-Patcher like a or 'the' replacement of the ordinary Windows Update? or will i need to still use Windows Update and then install the Auto Patcher?

more or less, can i give me a brief summary of what it is exactly? thanks.

and if intrested, my computer specs are going to be:

Intel Core 2 duo E6600

Asus P5B Deluxe /WIFI (gives a good idea wat to expect)

2GB DDR2 RAM Crucial Ballistix

500GB Seagate SATA Hard Drive

2 DVD -/+ R Drives (one of them HD-Burn)

(the obvious) Floppy disk drive

7600 GT (or hopefully a 8800 GTS) graphic card

hope that helps.

i will come back with more :D

ohmss006 :hello: :

Re-read Eck's post above, since I whole-heartedly agree with his recommendations. Start with the AutoPatch thread (no, you do not need to use Windows Update; read thread and you will see why). Then (based upon your shiny new computer specs - WOOHOO!) go from there to other threads as Eck suggests. You have the potential need for additional advice and specific drivers not included in AutoPatch. You will get pointers to the correct threads from there.

I also recommend that future postings related to your requirements/questions be done in the associated threads instead of here. You will get faster and more specific responses. Therefore, no need for subsequent responses/comments in this thread. ;)

Peace! :D

Edited by submix8c

well thank you very much sir, my computer is nearly and i do plan to install Windows 98SE. instead of a copied disc to be given, i will refuse to do so and buy an original from eBay.

and once installing, may i ask, will i be able to gain the stability without having any problems with very new devices as XP would wen installing all these things?

because according to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_98#Disadvantages

companies who make new devices and hardware wont work properly or just wont work at all on the operating system. from this site, will i be able to overcome that may i ask?

... companies who make new devices and hardware wont work properly or just wont work at all on the operating system ...

I commend your intention to go for Win98SE and it well supported by 'unofficial' updates on this forum.

But you should undestand that there is no such thing as a perfect operating system! There are bad or careless - and sometimes deliberate bad - writes because programmers are only human.

Good luck! :thumbup

ohh i am very aware of that sir, i know fo a fact that when i mention XP, i never intended it as a perfect operating system, infact, since its release, i have been hating it for a long time, only till wen SP2 came out, i was starting to get the hand of it.

my heart will always be with windows 98 (very similar and the better version of Win 95 hehehehe), and the Second Edition won my vote with someone's and Wiki's information.

but as i said, will i be able to do thnigs on Win98SE as i would with XP when taking all info (updates and patches) from this site?

and thanks again!

... will i be able to do thnigs on Win98SE as i would with XP when taking all info (updates and patches) from this site? ...

Not just yet but Xeno86 is working on it here

and hopefully Win98SE will eventuallybe able to do anything you thrown at it

That depends on exactly what you are looking for really from XP in 98.

Driver support: Starting to lack as more newer hardware without usable driver supports is released. However, there are more and more unofficial drivers being released to avoid such an issue. I see you are using a 7800 Nvidia, perhaps you might wish to try the unofficial or the slightly more recent nvidia drivers in one of two threads in this forum.

Features: Can do (almost everything) winxp and do and sometimes more depending on your needs/wants. It may not be as new but it still has full DOS-Support which is especially useful if you still like to play older games and even more useful if you play them online at places like KALI.

Some programs will not work (yet) on 98 if they are writen for XP but as stated previously, Xeno's KernelEX is starting to solve that issue with MANY programs. The very first incarnation of it allowed win98 to fluently load some 2k/xp only games such as doom3 and quake 4 to work without editing the main game file itself.

If you want to get it to as close to XP as possible in appearance , perhaps TIhiy's revolutions pack would whet your whistle. ot only makes it olook and feel like XP but version 7 even gives it more of a VISTA feel as well.

Furthermore, using the 98->ME service pack installed some of the better / more stable millenium files into 98 to add features from ME into 98 without losing stability.

I hope that helped give the info you needed. If I'd missed out on something just ask.

Final notes: However, I would do some research on your current hardware and get any hardware drivers you might need first before going the plunge. Additionally, seeing as you are using a cure-duo, you will only end up using one of the two cores due to 98 not having support for multiple cores as of this time.

Yes, drivers for motherboards is a vital consideration. Read, read, read around here and you'll find some threads with specific motherboards that 98 can handle and those that don't. Make sure you can get your chipset drivers from your manufacturer that specifically support Windows 98SE. And since you're building yourself make sure you buy stuff like videocards, soundcards, Ethernet, etc that have 98SE drivers available. In nearly all of these cases that 98SE install cd will not provide you with acceptable performance with the old, old, old drivers it included. This was true even about 1999! That kind of thing you need to get from the manufacturers of your chosen hardware.

Then, as far as 98SE itself, that's the kind of thing you can find projects with updates for here, including that Unofficial Auto-Patcher for Windows 98SE thread, the 98SE2ME thread (only helps if you have a Windows Me cd), and the 98MP10 thread.

Then of course you should get software for your needs that is 98SE compatible.