Another ST31000340AS back from the dead! I first tried the Aviko method since it was a bit simpler and people appeared to have success with it. But I got no response to the m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 command and after half an hour gave up and started over with the Gradius2 method. It worked! I used the SparkFun 449 adapter and a couple of D cells for a 3 volt power supply. The hardest part of the whole rig was connecting to the tightly spaced pins on the PCB. I destroyed a plug to extract tiny enough connectors and separated them with bits of cardboard. What is amazing is how quick and easy the recovery is once you have the setup connected - a less than 5-minute procedure. If Seagate management had half a brain, they would offer to repair and return all bricked drives with a 24-hour turnaround. They could train their managers, secretaries, and salespeople to do the job if they needed more capacity. Too bad if their own stupidity and arrogance costs them their company.