Hey, I got it fixed! My solution: triple bag it and freeze it for 2 days. Then the spin-up worked again. Actually, I think I may have forgotten to connect the middle screw (the one above the motor connection) in my first attempt, dunno if that affected it. Also, the format stage didn't take 15-30 seconds, for me it took 8 minutes!!!!! The first time after 5 minutes I gave up and reset. I get the feeling the drive is much more resilient than the disclaimer on page 1 makes it seems. I messed up capital letters, aborted partway through several times, and it worked in the end. In any case, thanks so much for all the guides and helpful replies. My connection was pretty ghetto. I eventually went with the USB-TTL-232R from makershed (yes, $20, I splurged but hey). I didn't want to order jumper cables, so I stripped the wires to about a millimeter of actual wire sticking out, and carefully jammed them on the drive's pins, lol. Now to copy my data off and see how long it lasts, that clicking didn't sound good! Oh, I'm in Hamilton, ON, Canada if anyone needs this done.