And a successful repair from South Africa too! I imported an RS232 to TTL adpater from China, bought a Torx-6 screwdriver and used CD-ROM audio cables: Connected it all up like this: Then I did all the steps listed for the BSY error listed here (using PuTTY as my terminal program). And the result: I now have an extra 500GB (to use for backups) and all my data back! I also upgraded my firmware just to be safe that it doesn't happen again. It all worked the first time I tried and was much easier than I first thought it would be. The hardest part is getting a RS232-TTL adapter. Total cost for equipment: R150 (about $15). Thank you very much!!