bbard

Member
  • Content count

    4
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About bbard

  1. guys, arie07's right, if the loop test works but not with the HDD... i think it means you need to GND the HDD with your device (eg: DKU-5), at least that's what happened in my case.
  2. Followed Avikos and its fixed thanks to all who have posted in the forum.. I read alost all ur posts.................................Has seagate released a firmware update for ST3500620AS yet.. will updatin to SD1A brick ma 500 GB again pls read my post #1010 (page 51)... maybe it's the same situation. Good luck!
  3. with all 3 attempts, did you check your device manager (in XP) to see if you've a working device? If not, try this... 1) Open your device manager page in XP and click on the 'Ports (COM and LTP)' 2) attach your RS232 to TTL, or either one of your CA-42. Does a new device show up as a new "Communication Port (COM#)", # being a number? (silly question: did you choose the same COM#, as the one shown in your Device Manager? If not, please do and try again.) If no new device shows up, then your device lacks the necessary hardware needed to do this. If yes, is there an exclaimation mark "!"? If "!", it probably means the driver is not compatible with your OS. Under properties->details, look for hardware ID; and google it for driver. If there isn't a "!", then it should work. Connect the RX and TX in your device (leave the HDD out for this) using a paper clip, open a hyperterminal (choosing the correct # for COM) and type Ctrl+Z... get anything? Good luck!
  4. Yippy! Managed to unbricked my 7200.11; 1TB; ST31000340AS; 9QJ203CE; SD15. I followed the instruction of Gash (post #921) who sorta complied instructions/experience by Aviko, Gradius2 and others on this thread. <http://sites.google.com/site/seagatefix/> I used a CA-42 (s/no WT048000317) bought from Ebay which uses Arkmicro (usb\vid_6547&pid_0232). Drivers for this can be found here: <http://file4.uafile.com/~d/drv/Win98%20Me%202k%20XP/> No drivers for VISTA OS could be found online, so i had to find a comp with XP OS. <http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/New-USB-Data-Cable-Ca-42-for-Nokia-6131-7220-7250-6820_W0QQitemZ170308875635QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_216?hash=item170308875635&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1240%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318> The cable has 6 wires: (1) white is RX, which goes to HDD's TX (2) green is TX, which goes to HDD's RX (3) red is GND, which goes to HDD's GND (not grounding the CA-42 with HDD may result in gibberish typing in hyperterminal) (4) Orange (not used) (5) Blue (not used) (6) Yellow (not used) Not all CA-42 are identical, my guess is Nokia has many OEMs which uses their own coloured wire schemes. So unless your part number is identical to mine, the colour may not apply in your case. I won't bother to post other images coz those can be found here: <http://sites.google.com/site/seagatefix/> But i use a external HDD enclosure to power up my HDD and also to check if it worked after that. Everything went as expected initially... but after F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 I waited for over 30 mins and nothing happened. Here's a detailed write up of what I did and what I got on the screen... On hyperterminal: (ctrl +z) F3 T>/2 F3 2>Z Spin Down Complete Elapsed Time 0.156 msecs (remove isolation and mount pcb) F3 2>U Spin Up Complete Elasped Time 9.926 secs F3 T3>/1 F3 1>N1 F3 1>/ F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 (nothing happened after 30 mins!) I power off the HDD and CA42, and used an external HDD enclosure to check my 7200.11, it showed up on the comp but appears empty. No drive, but if i looked under device manager, it shows up as ST31000 HDD. It is as if I have a new unformatted HDD with no partition. I re-powered up the HDD and CA42 with RX, TX and GND connected betw them and used Aviko's instructions: F3 T>F,,22 Drive Configuration restored to defaults F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 0000 User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 000 User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 000 00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs (this time it took less than 1 min max) I power off the HDD and CA42 and used the external HDD enclosure to check. As far as I observe, all my data seems to be intact. Celebration Dance! My heartfelt thanks to Gradius2 for starting this thread, Aviko for refining the hyperterminal instructions, and many others who shared their experiences in this thread. Tomorrow, there's a IT Show 2009 in Singapore SUNTEC City Convention Center. I'm going and I'm sure you know what I'd be getting at the fair! To those who are still struggling to get their 7200.11 up, hang in there brothers! Follow the instructions carefully and make sure you test your DIY RS232-to-TTL comms first.