GREAT SUCCESS! It's my time to contribute a little, with a solution for those with CA-42 cables that are not detected by Windows XP... I bought a CA-42 cable at a Nokia store. It cost me 51 euros... It's the same price as in the website (for Portuguese customers), and it might sound expensive, but I thought it was cheap cause all I wanted was my data back. And I had already spent more than one hundred euros on the phone, waiting to yell to some Seagate representative. Anyway, I got home, connected the cable to a Windows XP machine and... nothing. I installed the driver, and still nothing. I connected a Nokia 6070 to it, and it was detected. Obviously the cable was getting power from the cellphone, so what I did was cut the cable, use the TX and RX wires to connect to the hard drive (a DiamondMax 22) and re-connect all the other wires to the plug and connect it to the cellphone (a 3v battery should work too, but I thought that using the cellphone in the setup would look more interesting ). Picture of the setup here: link I followed the steps in this guide and my drive was up and running in 2 minutes. Now I'm trying to find the firmware update, because the ticking bomb is still inside the drive... However, when I try to get it from Seagate's website, all I get is an ISO with a DriveDetect.exe file inside. What else could I expect from this amazing company... I bought a Seagate drive because I was tired of Samsung drives crashing... Never again! Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread! I am currently in Portugal. If you're close by, I may be able to help you. PS. I find it really unbelievable to know that Seagate is aware that thousands of customers are currently using a drive that will sooner or latter become unusable, and yet they act like it's a minor issue... And they even screw up the firmware release... **** THEM!