MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically.
Hey, Thanks for this. Fixed my 5ooGB drive. First saw the youtube Nitrohelix video and then found this site. This was real easy and fast to do. I bought a Nokia CA-42 off ebay for a total of $3.00 with the driver CD. My cord has a orange(ground), Red(RX) and Blue(TX). Took a few tries because I didn't see if Control Z didn't do anything then switch the RX and TX. After I read about the switch I could use hyper terminal. I used someone else's suggestion of putting clear tape on the stripped end of the wires, rolled it around to form a tube and put it on the pins. I just made sure with needle nose pliers they were on good by closing the tape down on the pin. Made sure I didnt move the HDD after that too much. Better than buying 100 female pins for 3 wires. Followed the youtube video and page 1 of this thread to make sure I typed the correct characters in. Worked just like it says. Copied all my stuff to another drive and installed the firmware update, so far so good a day later. Hope it stay this way. Just thought I'd share. Thanks to the people who figured this out. Bought cable from digi-accessary on ebay if anyone wants to know. Got it 2 days after I ordered