Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 



jd0gg

Member
  • Content count

    1
  • Donations

    $0.00 
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About jd0gg

Profile Information

  • OS
    Server 2008 x64
  1. I figured I would save some poor saps still on XP SP3 some time by posting what I just dealt with. Any time I run into some serious issues and find a fix from a web forum I usually register to post my fix and what I did. I work as a laptop repair tech and through my troubleshooting narrowed down this exact problem to hardware interrupts and DPC's with a donor laptop for a customer. Long story short, his laptop went the way of the dodo bird and we just so happened to have a nearly identical model in the boneyard. So instead of spending hours troubleshooting his machine (and running up a nice labor bill) I just swapped his drive with his permission. But of course, it was too good to be true and I noticed the lockups. I kind of had an idea it was a hardware issue, I've been doing this since the 98 days so I have a little experience under my belt but I ran his Kapersky and a rootkit tool anyway and found nothing, which is not surprising because it appears to be almost a fresh XP install with only 27-29 processes running in the background. Unfortunately the poor guy is on an XP machine and NONE of the aformentioned fixes work in XP, unless I missed something. So, here's the rundown, so it turns up in a search engine. Compaq Presario 2100 2178CL 2178cl Athlon 2400 mobile, 512 ddr XP SP3 with updates I had tried re-installing ALL of the drivers to no avail. I used the ProcessExplorer tool to verify it was a hardware DPC issue of sorts. The old drive that was in this laptop did the exact same thing, and it would freeze every 5 seconds and the interrupt / DPC usage would spike to 18-25%. Through one measure or another, I tried installing the SDK tools mentioned earlier but of course those are for 8, it still wanted me to bump up to .NET framework 4.0, so I did. In the midst of grasping at straws I also did a BIOS flash in Windows from the HP website, rebooted and all seems to be well. So I think it's safe to say one of those things fixed the problem. Also new friend. I do a bit of case modding and I'll be posting my current project here in a week or so, it's a server case I've cut up and I'm putting in a Xeon dualie.
×