2000 modified to XP?

i've got this very old tower, so i wanted to just have it run Windows 2k, but i've come across a few problems that drove me to using XP. maybe people here can give me an idea or help me along the way here.

1) i need mp3 support in WMP. to date, i'm unable to rip an audio CD as mp3, although i've added to option to the menu through registry hacks, no encoder has let me do it though.

2) i need a way to have easy CD burning support. is there a way to integrate Imapi from XP?

when i'm finished building my new computer i'll just have a CD burner in here, so theres no need to worry about DVD support.

i have software like Sonic Record Now, but using WMP for music CDs and windows for data CDs is much easier.

thanks in advanced...this machine just doesn't take XP very well, and i seem to be pushing the limits with it.

i've got this very old tower, so i wanted to just have it run Windows 2k, but i've come across a few problems that drove me to using XP. maybe people here can give me an idea or help me along the way here.

1) i need mp3 support in WMP. to date, i'm unable to rip an audio CD as mp3, although i've added to option to the menu through registry hacks, no encoder has let me do it though.

2) i need a way to have easy CD burning support. is there a way to integrate Imapi from XP?

when i'm finished building my new computer i'll just have a CD burner in here, so theres no need to worry about DVD support.

i have software like Sonic Record Now, but using WMP for music CDs and windows for data CDs is much easier.

thanks in advanced...this machine just doesn't take XP very well, and i seem to be pushing the limits with it.

Personally I think WMP or CD-writing dumbapp in XP (and others like this) is what repulse me from XP and one of the reasons why I still stay with 2000... if you use W2K only as an OS, and use other 3rd-party software (far superior to XP's built-in software) you get top-notch most stable Microsoft OS based PC.

But of course to each his own.

1)

Isn't there WMP 7.1 with mp3?

2)

CD burning support in XP is tied with XP's DRM. Even if it'll work if you 'transplant' all the libraries and reg keys needed by XP's cd burner app, I am almost sure you won't be able to burn ie Audio CD (DRMS...).

I've used Windows Media Player on Windows 98 First Edition and, upgraded to Windows 2000 around a year ago on one of my PCs. There is no reason Windows Media Player cannot work on Windows 2000.

Maybe it's time for you to step away from programs that came bundled with your computer. Try to get your hands on Nero 6. It is far superior than Sonic Record Now. I actually have Sonic Record Now on one of my PCs, and there's nothing special about that any other program can't do.

Being heavily into audio, unless the program demands Windows XP, there is no reason Windows 2000 cannot do the same job.

using WMP is fine, i have WMP 9 for Windows 2000, what i don't have is support to rip as mp3. i don't deal with WAV files because they take up too much space, and they don't have the quality that i normally deal with. i'm able to save as mp3 with Adobe Audition in Windows 2000, and play mp3 in Winamp [i don't use WMP as my media player, just cd ripper].

i'm not sure what version of Nero i have lying around somewhere, but i can try to find it and use it, i think it came with a cd burner my sister got years ago.

i know that windows 2000 is up to the task, but i need to be able to rip to mp3, as thats the easiest format for me to deal with. small files, good quality, and its what my entire library is.

i have Nero 5.5

not sure if i'll be able to get another one...5.5 should be fine, but eh. i prefered WMP for audio CDs...take what i can get i suppose.once i finish building my new computer [hopefully next week] i'll be able to put all this in effect.