Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Disk Imaging Software

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
@tguy - already on the list. See first post.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Arie

Arie

One Man Army

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

@Arie - do you have links? Any different from PING from ping.windowsdream.com?

Nope, that's the one.
Not trying to pretend the enemy that I am.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,208 posts
Another new entry, found by ktp:
http://www.clonegenius.com/

added to the 911CD thread:
http://www.911cd.net...o...c=16534&st=

jaclaz

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
Added. Wish I had time to do more testing and comparison. :angry:

Grunt

Grunt
  • 3 posts
LOL time ... wish I could buy some :P

My computer just crash and I had to reinstall EVERYTHING. and I was just looking for a software that would be able to save me some time .... the next time it hapens.

Looking forward for you conclusion on thoses software.

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
don't need to buy anything you can use Windows imaging for free. Along with some of the other software on the list.

Grunt

Grunt
  • 3 posts
umm ... maybe it's a good solution to backup files, but can it do a bit per bit backup so I won't have to re-install Windows, the updates and my program AND support "Mountable Images" ?

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
bit for bit no, but an image that contains everything needed for a windows installation yes. bit for bit is a little extreme, thiat is normally reserved for forensics. Windows Imaging is a file based imaging method and allows you to mount the image as a folder on your machine for editing.

It is what is used for Vista, and can be used for XP. I have a guide available here: http://www.msfn.org/...o...st&p=674778

anonymous_user

anonymous_user

͏͏͏

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
A software you missed: ShadowProtect

PC_LOAD_LETTER

PC_LOAD_LETTER

Well, I stole something else

• Super Moderator
  • 1,829 posts
Theres also Altiris Deployment solution which is very nice if you have the time to set it up
http://www.altiris.c...ntSolution.aspx

I remember Novells Zenworks doing imaging as well but i dont know if they still have that as a product

As for PING, if you need any info on it, I can provide feedback since i use it almost every day. Heres a quick pro/con list:
  • Free
  • Images machines that are running DeepFreeze properly
  • can be used to make a restoreDVD from and image
  • No PXE drivers need to be installed -works with almost every card ive tried
  • FAST! Transfers at the full capacity of the network card everytime (10/100/1000)
  • i can image a machine by pxe booting, hit enter 2-3 times, select create new image, type file name, select compression, and wait.
  • runs its own dhcp server so all you need is the PING server and the machine you are imaging
  • Ive alway used i for windows to windows imaging but its supposed to be cross platform
  • Very lightweight. doesn't 'install' itself to windows. To move it from 1 machine to the next, just copy the folder
  • Cannot multicast (can send to more than 1 machine but in different streams)
  • cannot take an image from 1 machine and directly copy it to another (has to be made into an image first)
  • 3com 905B cards wont PXE boot (905C will though)
  • By default, it grabs the CMOS settings and restores them to the target computer (Copies the Service Tag info from the Bios from 1 machine to the other on dells and gateways)

Molecule

Molecule

• PipPip
  • 185 posts
here's an interesting one, but it is a linux bootcd that runs a program designed specifically to backup c-drives on XP machines.

CDriveBack -- sourceforge project -- http://www.lccdigita...ent/view/65/62/

PING sounds interesting -- will it "kiosk" an XP machine?

I'm using 98se happily now in a 733P3, but would like to move to new hardware. I am reluctant to move to XP until there was a way by which I can sector-by-sector restore my C-drive on every shutdown (from MBR to ORIGINAL swap file to the last slackspace). In my dream, a normal shutdown would (1) shutdown XP and reboot to a new os, then (2) run a restore image program on a minimal c-drive (c-drive has os and programs only), then (3) restore default boot to XP for next startup and then (4) turn off. An optional shutdown would make an new reference image, built after adding new software while not connected, with full awareness and knowledge of the machine's owner. Every startup would be absolutely identical, no matter how many personalities (unauthorized by me) have been fudging with my bits 'n ... while connected. I don't care about any of Bill Gate's illusory conveniences. Any data to be retained would be on other drives (which is not hard to do). If I can reboot the same everytime, thenI don't care what "other powers" want to do to my HDD while connected -- they can have at to their heart's delight. But when I go to sleep at night, I want to know that come morning, my machine starts off right.

Has anyone done this? Deep Freeze looks interesting, but it's my suspicion that they have back doors too, and if they were discovered, no one would ever know, nor would it be in their interest to announce it.

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
@molecule - doesn't make images but sound like you want deepfreeze.

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
Posts unrelated to exist topic of imaging software and related to freezeing the system state have been move to a new topic here: http://www.msfn.org/...howtopic=107268

Grunt

Grunt
  • 3 posts

bit for bit no, but an image that contains everything needed for a windows installation yes. bit for bit is a little extreme, thiat is normally reserved for forensics. Windows Imaging is a file based imaging method and allows you to mount the image as a folder on your machine for editing.

It is what is used for Vista, and can be used for XP. I have a guide available here: http://www.msfn.org/...o...st&p=674778

Thanks, but it sounds like utility software to me to save your files in case your computer crash.... I got myself from Western Digital "My book" and it has software to backup files.

So, loosing files is not my concert, time is! Cause when you’re stuck with a virus that eat up your energy and you decide to format and re-install everything ... From windows (reboot 3 times) to the patch (reboot a few time more) and don't forget the drivers (reboot .. reboot ... reboot) and all the other program and games (and patch that you have to find on the net). One simple click (ok ok maybe 2 or 3) is what I'm looking for. Ghost was doing that in less than 20 min compare to about 6 hr manually, but since I'm not a big fan of Symantec anymore, I'm looking for something else that could do the same thing.

Thank's for your reply, very appreciated !

weEvil

weEvil

n00b

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
Great idea. Which ones are freeware though?

If you like to waste money on junk, then buy a CREATIVE® product.

E8400 | P45 | HD4870

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
Still working on this. It is slow going when you have other projects to work on at the same time. If someone wants to take on that challenge and send th list to me I will add that info to the first post.

kickarse

kickarse

the free techie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Still working on this. It is slow going when you have other projects to work on at the same time. If someone wants to take on that challenge and send th list to me I will add that info to the first post.

I'll get you my take on Acronis Workstation Echo and Snap Deploy 2.0
http://drop.io/wanderingit -- download DriverGeek (formally DriverForge) and FindHWIDS

PC_LOAD_LETTER

PC_LOAD_LETTER

Well, I stole something else

• Super Moderator
  • 1,829 posts
Iceman, I updated your list with pricing info. If you want, just add this to your original post and snip it from this post.

Disk Imaging Products:Disk Cloning Products:

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,208 posts
Another candidate:
SVISTA (NO it is not a typo) Image tool:
http://www.os2site.c...w/apps/virtual/
http://www.os2site.c...l/it-svista.txt
http://www.os2site.c...win-bin-1.1.zip

jaclaz

Woomera

Woomera

MSFN Fan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
i was just looking for the same thing on which imaging and backup software i should use for my OS's.i realy like to see the result of your project iceman.
there is a product coming with WD external drives called LigeAgent from memeo which i guess worth looking at too.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,208 posts

i was just looking for the same thing on which imaging and backup software i should use for my OS's.i realy like to see the result of your project iceman.
there is a product coming with WD external drives called LigeAgent from memeo which i guess worth looking at too.

Isn't that for MAC? :unsure:

jaclaz

exogenesis

exogenesis

• 22 posts
Which software in dos alows to copy whole partition with no gb limitation, and save it as an iso image.

I will be copying the windows os and boot drive c: partition.

Anyone know ?

Edited by exogenesis, 25 May 2008 - 05:17 AM.

spacesurfer

spacesurfer

Pharmassist

• Patrons
  • 1,668 posts
i know of none that will save an an ISO but I know of one that will run in dos and allow you to directly record to CD/dvd recorder - norton ghost 2003!

i've used that product for a long time until ImageX came out.

I still find that ImageX is much more useful than others.

And if I'm not mistaken, ImageX is still the only one that creates a file-based image of the whole partition or disk. The others, like True Image, can do file-based backups of files or folders but not whole partitions or disks. Acronis offers a sector-by-sector imaging as an option for whole partitions/disks - but this is really a sector-by-sector of the whole partition/disks (including free space) as opposed to just utilized space.

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L, Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33 GHz, ASUS Radeon EAH3450 256 MB, 6 GB Corsair RAM, Maxtor 300 GB + Seagate 400 GB HDDs, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
IBM T42 Intel Pentium M 1.7 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Radeon Mobility 7500, 160 GB HDD, Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

mikesw

mikesw

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
Add to this list Acronis Echo. Echo replaces Trueimage.

Edited by mikesw, 18 July 2008 - 08:17 AM.

uid0

uid0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

The others, like True Image, can do file-based backups of files or folders but not whole partitions or disks. Acronis offers a sector-by-sector imaging as an option for whole partitions/disks - but this is really a sector-by-sector of the whole partition/disks (including free space) as opposed to just utilized space.

Trueimage can image partitions or whole disks, and only switches to sector based backups with filesystems it can't read (e.g. netware). The result is that a sector based backup can only be restored to the same size partition / disk, while file based ones can be restored to smaller partitions or disks, if the original had free space.
With windows and linux versions, and several free offerings, it's pretty good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN