Many people don't know which distribution to install just because there are too much choice, I think we can help there.
Don't make it as long as the story as your life; the goal is too give an *idea* on which distribution will fit someone better.
Latest stable version: 12 (see this topic)
Latest developpment version: 12; updates approximately twice a year
Philosophy: Keep It Simple, Stupid; packages without dependancy checking
- lightweight and fast
- configuration does not rely on graphical tools; useful when your graphical server is dead...
- 110% customizable
- installer lacks good repartionning tools (but has good partionning ones)
Latest stable version: 10.2
Latest developpment version: 10.3alpha5, 10.3 stable planned for 04/10/07
- yast2, the easiest and most featured linux installation and configuration tool
- nearly perfect hardware support, including tv output, bluetooth, infrared, laptop power-management (better then XP's)
- all imaginable softwares have suse packages
- a bit heavy
- too many dependancies sometimes
This post has been edited by Camarade_Tux: 03 July 2007 - 03:26 AM