Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to Install XP after Vista and Fix the Bootloader

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

spacesurfer

spacesurfer

Pharmassist

• Patrons
  • 1,668 posts
  • Joined 31-July 04
To install an older Windows operating system on a computer running Windows Vista, use the following procedure.
  • Install the previous version of Windows, e.g. XP or 2000

• Log on to the older operating system and restore the latest boot manager by running the following.
    bootsect.exe -NT60 All
    bootsect.exe might be in your boot folder of active partition. If not there, then it's on your Vista DVD in boot folder.

• Create a BCD entry for the older operating system by specifying the following. Bcdedit.exe is located in the \Windows\System32 directory of the Windows Vista partition. Description is the description of the new entry for the older operating system.
    Bcdedit /create {legacy} /d “Description”
    Bcdedit /set {legacy} device boot
    Bcdedit /set {legacy} path \ntldr
    Bcdedit /displayorder {legacy} /addlast
  • Restart the computer in order for the changes to take effect.

Edited by spacesurfer, 05 July 2007 - 07:39 PM.

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L, Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33 GHz, ASUS Radeon EAH3450 256 MB, 6 GB Corsair RAM, Maxtor 300 GB + Seagate 400 GB HDDs, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
IBM T42 Intel Pentium M 1.7 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Radeon Mobility 7500, 160 GB HDD, Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

amenx

amenx

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Joined 05-October 05
Just curious, how would XP see Vista when you try to install it? Will it recognize it and give you the option of installing on a drive other than C?

spacesurfer

spacesurfer

Pharmassist

• Patrons
  • 1,668 posts
  • Joined 31-July 04
You choose where you want XP installed. Choose a drive other than your Vista drive.

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L, Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33 GHz, ASUS Radeon EAH3450 256 MB, 6 GB Corsair RAM, Maxtor 300 GB + Seagate 400 GB HDDs, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
IBM T42 Intel Pentium M 1.7 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Radeon Mobility 7500, 160 GB HDD, Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

fizban2

fizban2

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,900 posts
  • Joined 14-April 05
good info, we will pin this one

spacesurfer

spacesurfer

Pharmassist

• Patrons
  • 1,668 posts
  • Joined 31-July 04
You can use a third party program like EasyBCD or VistaBootPro, but apparently, behind the screens, both programs run this command to restore the bootloader. Go to your EasyBCD installation folder and you'll find bootsect.exe.

Also, if you want to revert back to XP's bootloader, then run

bootsect.exe -nt52

Gswiss

Gswiss
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 02-August 07
I had no problem at all installing XP alongside a pre-installed Vista on my HP nc6320 laptop. I used EasyBCD successfully. On the other hand, I get stuck right from the start, when I try to do the same thing on a Dell Inspiron 6400.

When I reach the point where XP installer asks where the XP partition should be located and I select an unallocated area (same problem appears even if I create and format an empty partition beforehand and select it), I get the following error message : “To install Windows XP on the selected partition, installation program must copy certain boot files on Disk 0 with ID 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]. However, this disk does not contain a partition compatible with Windows XP”.

I don’t know whether this has to do with the SATA disk. On the HP, I disabled SATA Native Support in the BIOS and everything went fine. In the Dell Bios, I found no equivalent option.

How can I create a “compatible partition” ?

spacesurfer

spacesurfer

Pharmassist

• Patrons
  • 1,668 posts
  • Joined 31-July 04
How did you create your partition beforehand? Did you use Vista? If so, partitions created by Vista are no longer compatible with Windows XP.

See this: Vista's New Partitioning Rules.

It's best to create you partition with a third party utility. I would prefer using BartPE with Sherpya's XPE plugin to use XP's disk management console to do it.

However, I don't understand why you can't install on unallocated space. During XP setup, trying deleting the unallocated space and create a new partition and use XP to format it as NTFS it you are able to.

neo

neo

Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert Consumer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
  • Joined 31-March 06
Use Easy BCD and forget about to change anything manually.

Gswiss

Gswiss
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 02-August 07
I used Acronis Disk Director to create the partition. This was done under Vista. Maybe I should use the Acronis Boot Loader and create the partition from this "neutral" environment.

What should I use EasyBCD for in this situation?

spacesurfer

spacesurfer

Pharmassist

• Patrons
  • 1,668 posts
  • Joined 31-July 04
EasyBCD has nothing to do with the partitions you are creating.

LurkerLito

LurkerLito
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 13-August 07
Just wanted to mention I have the OEM Vista64 version and bootsect.exe is not included on the install disc nor could I find it on my vista partition. I had easybcd installed so I had a copy but it wouldn't run in the Vista64 recovery CLI console. There is another utility on that is available on the recovery console called bootrec that has options to fix the mbr and other things.

Edited by LurkerLito, 15 August 2007 - 11:04 AM.

Dhoom

Dhoom

• 42 posts
  • Joined 29-January 06
thx mate :D
"Images in signatures shall NOT exceed a total of 300x100 and 80kb. Flash and animated signatures and avatars are not permitted. You can enter max 4 lines of text in signature or signature image."
Pakistani 4 Life

Louie

Louie

• 20 posts
  • Joined 22-June 04
Just wanted to add that if you only have 64bit vista dvd, you will only have the 64bit version of bootsect,exe so if a 32bit system is installed, you need to get the 32bit to be able to follow this guide.

atlef.

Edited by Louie, 09 March 2008 - 06:55 AM.

Peter Griffin: Quagmire, what are you doing here?
Glen Quagmire: Oh, It's conjugal visit day, you know I love doing a woman in the can. OH! Giggity-giggity-giggity-goooo!

Harry_O

Harry_O

• 17 posts
  • Joined 14-March 08

You choose where you want XP installed. Choose a drive other than your Vista drive.

And what about the scenario where I have only one partition (C:)?
Where should I install the XP.
Posted Image

spacesurfer

spacesurfer

Pharmassist

• Patrons
  • 1,668 posts
  • Joined 31-July 04
Ummm... then you create a new partition.

I'm sure if you search, you will be able to find how to do that. Vista can create a partition using disk management console. Need administrator privileges.

Harry_O

Harry_O

• 17 posts
  • Joined 14-March 08

Ummm... then you create a new partition.

I'm sure if you search, you will be able to find how to do that. Vista can create a partition using disk management console. Need administrator privileges.

Do you mean the Microsoft management console (mmc.exe) or some other program?
Posted Image

spacesurfer

spacesurfer

Pharmassist

• Patrons
  • 1,668 posts
  • Joined 31-July 04
Right-click "Computer" --> click on Manage. This is for XP. I can't remember if Vista is the same or they changed it; but it's "Computer Management", then go to disk management.

dpminusa

dpminusa
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 12-March 08
This Post shows how to shrink an existing single partition to created unallocated space and add a second OS. XP and Vista, of course. May address the question near the end of this great spacesurfer post.

http://apcmag.com/54...ng_vista_and_xp
Web Developer
Windows/UNIX/Linux Bgnd

Guest_Hosanna_*

Guest_Hosanna_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --
You may want to test Vista first if it will work for you or you may simply just want to keep your XP system around. In this case, you may go for a dual-boot installation. For dual booting, you need at least two partitions, one for XP and the other for Vista. Both partitions can only accommodate one system. If you only have one partition, you need a partitioning tool to help you out.

A dual boot installation will let you choose between your two operating systems every time you open your computer..

Edited by Hosanna, 24 January 2011 - 04:11 AM.

Guest_Robinwood_*

Guest_Robinwood_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --
Correct me if am wrong ! but i think windows XP is way better then Windows Vista :whistle:

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,969 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Correct me if am wrong ! but i think windows XP is way better then Windows Vista :whistle:

Everyone has different opinions about which version of Windows one prefers... Diversity of opinions is welcome, and, as such, we have set up different sections in the forum where people can discuss their favorite one... :whistle:
In fact, there's even a poll about Vista vs. XP. Would you like to participate?

Guest_computan123_*

Guest_computan123_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --
To install an older Windows operating system on a computer running Windows Vista, use the following four procedure.

First of all Install the previous version of Windows, e.g. XP or 2000 etc.

Log on to the previous operating system and restore the latest boot manager by running the following.

bootsect.exe might be in your boot folder of active the partition. If not there, then it's on your Vista DVD in boot folder.

Create a BCD entry for the previous operating system by specifying the following. Bcdedit.exe is located in the \Windows\System32 directory of the Windows Vista partition. Description is the description of the new entry for the older operating system.

Restart the computer in order for the changes to take effect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users