Newbie questions- Tweaking XPize install

colin_e

Hi Guys,

I've just discovered XPize and I think it's very cool. I have installed XPize 4.6 Lite on my XP Sp1 machine, and have a couple of questions-

1) On my new monster 1920x1200 LCD display, the boot splash screen looks horrible. If this image is fixed-size to something like 640x480 (so it is being stretched to hell), what's the quickest way to simply turn it off?

2) Luna Royale Black looks great. However in the XP theme switcher window the other versions (Alternative and Compact) look identical to the plain Black scheme. Why are these versions there and what are they supposed to do?

3) I use Windows style login (i.e users type in a username, no user selection screen). This still comes up in the default XP Blue style. How can I apply the Luna Royale Black scheme to the login screen?

Cheers: Colin

Hi Guys,

I've just discovered XPize and I think it's very cool. I have installed XPize 4.6 Lite on my XP Sp1 machine, and have a couple of questions-

1) On my new monster 1920x1200 LCD display, the boot splash screen looks horrible. If this image is fixed-size to something like 640x480 (so it is being stretched to hell), what's the quickest way to simply turn it off?

2) Luna Royale Black looks great. However in the XP theme switcher window the other versions (Alternative and Compact) look identical to the plain Black scheme. Why are these versions there and what are they supposed to do?

3) I use Windows style login (i.e users type in a username, no user selection screen). This still comes up in the default XP Blue style. How can I apply the Luna Royale Black scheme to the login screen?

Cheers: Colin

Hi,

1) The XP boot screen doesn't give too much possibilities :(

2) I can't answer to that question since I did not create those themes, sorry.

3) The Royale Black logon is not included in XPize. Maybe you are looking for XPize Darkside?

Cheers

Hi,

1) The XP boot screen doesn't give too much possibilities :(

2) I can't answer to that question since I did not create those themes, sorry.

3) The Royale Black logon is not included in XPize. Maybe you are looking for XPize Darkside?

Cheers

Thanks for the reply XPero.

Question 3 was perhaps not clear, based on my limited understanding of customising XP (Microsoft made this stupidly difficult didn't they?)

I was hoping that the user preferences from one login (mine) could be copied into whatever profile Windows uses for the login screen, so that the near-black screen background and window decorations would be used. I seem to remember in the old days under Win 98 whatever preferences you set for the "default" user would be used for logon.

I guess XP is not so easy to modify in this way?

I will look at Darkside. I was slightly wary of it because of it's Beta label.

BTW I found that for non-skinnable (is that the right term) apps under XP, like the command tool, the old-style window bar looked wrong (mid-grey) for Royale Black. I ended up tweaking the "Windows Classic" colours much closer to black. Is it possible to include these settings in the Royale Black theme, or is classic style quite separate?

It seems odd to me that Win Classic style is so much more flexible than the Luna style.

Regards: Colin

iirc The compact version of the theme shrinks the start menu, so that the items on the rightside only show icons and no text. Apply the theme and check teh start menu to see what I mean. I dont know about "alternative" though.

• 4 weeks later...

"alternative" refers to the color of selected items that is different.

I was hoping that the user preferences from one login (mine) could be copied into whatever profile Windows uses for the login screen, so that the near-black screen background and window decorations would be used. I seem to remember in the old days under Win 98 whatever preferences you set for the "default" user would be used for logon.

I guess XP is not so easy to modify in this way?

actually, TweakUI for XP can do just that.