Windows Deployment Services

Firstly Hi to all. Secondly I apologise in advance for the length of my post, I want to give as much detail as possible and hope somebody can advise :)

Here goes:

I have been attempting to deploy an XP Pro image using WDS installed on a Windows 2003 R2 server (all running on VS 2005 R2).

All the documentation I could find initially discussed deployment of VISTA images via WDS. However I found an article that described how to successfully deploy Windows XP Pro using Windows Vista PE from the WAIK (WinPE Zip file): http://sociallybeta.blogspot.com/2007/03/w...-using-wds.html

virtual machines:

VM1: Windows 2003 R2 SP2 512MB RAM / 2 * HDD C: 16GB & E:16GB (WDS Configured)

VM2: Windows XP Pro SP2 512MB RAM / 2 * HDD C: 16GB & E:16GB

Installed the following on the Windows 2003 Server VM

WAIK (Windows Automated Installation Kit)

Business Deployment Desktop 2007

I followed the article and all appeared OK until I attempted to deploy the captured image to a bare metal VM.

So this is what I have done to date:

I extracted F1_WinPE and F3_WinPE from WAIK

In the WDS MMC right click the "Boot Images" folder and select "Add Boot Image"

Browsed to the location I saved the WinPE images extracted earlier: ‘F1_WinPE and F3_WinPE’

Added both images. The images appear in the "Boot Images" folder.

Right clicked the "Windows Vista PE" image and select "Create Capture Boot Image"

Named the capture image ’Windows XP Pro SP2’ and selected a place to save it and click Next

Right clicked the "Boot Images" folder and selected to add another boot image

Navigated to the location I just saved you capture image and imported it to WDS

The capture image appeared in the "Boot Images" folder

Installed Windows XP Pro on the workstation along with Office 2007

Created a folder in the root of the C: drive called sysprep

From the XP Pro CD I copied contents of ‘Deploy’ from the support folder to C:\sysprep

From sysprep folder I ran "setupmgr.exe" to create the answer file needed for an automatic installation on Windows. I have tried 2 options to date: Sysprep & RIS. I saved these to the default location offered on C drive.

The from the sysprep folder I ran the sysprep executable

Ticked the box "Use Mini Setup" and click the "RESEAL" button /Shutdown

On restart I selected to PXE boot (F12).

The workstation was issued a DHCP address from the WDS server. A text-based selection screen appeared. I selected the capture image created earlier Windows XP Pro SP2’.

Windows then displayed “Windows is loading files” and a progress bar. This took 1-2 hours (maybe because I am working in a virtual environment?) I followed the steps to image the appropriate volume C and chose a location on the local drive E: to save the image.

This ran to completion and the XP workstation imaged OK.

I then re-booted the client in order to copy the .wim image to the WDS server. On the re-boot in went through the XP Pro installation as if deployed from WDS . The desktop eventually loaded. I navigated to drive E: and copied the captured image to a network share ‘captured_images’ on the WDS server

On the WDS server right click "Install Images" and selected to add an install image.

I browsed to the location I saved the sysprepped image just copied to the server and selected it.

The XP Pro image displayed in the "Install Images" folder.

i started a bare metal VM with the same HAL as the image machine (HAL independence is only a feature of Vista images) and hit F12 for PXE boot.

I selected the "Microsoft Windows Vista PE", NOT the capture image as before.

Once again Windows then displayed “Windows is loading files” and a progress bar. This took 1/12 hours to complete.

When complete NOTHING? Just a command prompt:

X:\Windows\System32>wpeinit followed by

X:\Windows\System32>

This makes me think that I have failed to implement something pretty basic? Maybe the .sfi file captured needs to be copied to the WDS folder? I have read a little regards creating a clientunattend.xml file but was led to believe that my approach above took care of all of that?

Anyone had this issue?

Advice very much appreciated.

Phil.

back again.................

I guess I need to build an answer file using 'Windows System Image Manager'.

Can anyone advise an 'Idiots Guide'? In my test lab I am looking to deploy both XP Pro & Vista Business

As I have said in my previous post, I have WDS configured. What do I want to achieve. When the image has been captured from the client then saved on the WDS server then installed......when a user hits F12 a list of the available images should be displayed. They choose one and it installs!!

Currently I am able to capture. However when the bare metal client hits F12 instead of selecting the PE option then a list of available images being displayed windows sits their for an hour or 2 loading files (which I feel is incorrect, must be looking at the wrong PE file maybe?).

When all is working I would hope that the new PXE image will install and the PC would join the domain (via answer file)..............I was hoping this would be a speedie way of deploying, however to date each image capture /PXE boot has taken 3-5 hours on my VM (512MB RAM) and then failed to deploy at the end!! :unsure:

What files need creating? How & from what are they created? Where do they need saving? To what should I attach them and how?

Hope that scales things down a little and my ramblings all make sense?

Many Thanks,

Phil.

Edited by 2Tall

2Tall,

I've got the exact same problem, I followed all the steps but I get stuck when I get back into the bootmanger, there is no way to install the install image of Windows XP onto my test computer.

Did you have any luck on your end?

r00ster.

I selected the "Microsoft Windows Vista PE", NOT the capture image as before.

Found the problem right there. When you created your "Capture Image" you right clicked on the Vista PE image and selected "Create Capture Image". That worked for Capturing, but what you need for deployment of an install image is a "Discover Image", which can be created by going into your "Boot Images" folder and right clicking the Vista PE image, and selecting "Create Discover Image". The Discover Image needs to be added to the PXE server or burned to a CD. Then when you boot off the network (F12) select the Discover Image instead of the standard "Vista PE", select your newly created "Discover Image" and follow the prompts when it loads.

That should work for you, when you get the Discover Image booted, it will ask for credentials to login to your WDS server. Enter a Domain Admin in standard domain\username format, then the wizard will give you a list of images that can be installed, the same list that is under "Install Images" in your WDS server MMC.

Hope that helps.

For reference:

Capture Image: is a image used to "Capture" a syspreped image to a WDS server.

Discover Image:is a image used to "Deploy" a syspreped image from a WDS server. [(MS) should of called it a "Deploy Image".]

Edited by Chdboy4

Thanks for the reply,

It seems logical once you figured out what MS means with Discover image, I've just tried the steps you posted but i ran into another problem.

What i did:

I added the bootimage of VISTA PE (86x) F1_WINPE.WIM which is 160.537 kB in size.

When it was succesfully added I right clicked on it and selected "Create Discover Image"

I followed the wizzard and named the discover image "discover_image.wim" and left "Reaction of Windows Deployment Server"(translated from the Dutch WDS) blank.

The next screen seems promising :thumbup , the status bar is filling up nicely but when it is half-way it stoped and gave an error message :blink: , unfortunatly I've installed the Dutch version of WDS so I cannot give you the exact error in english but it says something like

"The Installimage cannot be used to make a Discover-installimage because it does not have the required binairy values for the WDS-client."

I've tried google but because WDS is still not well documented i'm unable to get the right answer for this problem.

What can I do to solve this little problem?

r00ster.

The error in English is:

"The image cannot be used to create a Discover image as it does not have the required WDSClient binaries"

Back to the drawing board!!

Phil.

Ok, I forgot to add something that should be general practice for all.

What you will need.

More specific you will need the "boot.wim" found in the DVD of Windows Server 2008 or Vista, under the "sources" folder.

The Windows Server 2008 boot.wim is better because:

a. It can be made into a Discover Image

b. It contains "multicasting" binaries, which come in handy when using WDS under 2008 as 2008's WDS has a handy Multicast feature for deploying Install Images. (Vista boot.wim "6.0.6000" does not. 2008 is version "6.0.6001")

What you need to do is download the Windows Server 2008 Beta DVD iso. Or Vista DVD\ISO

-Add the boot.wim to your Boot Images (note: this is not a fully functional WinPE environment, keep your Windows Vista PE, that you made using the WAIK active under Boot Images)

-Name it something, the default is fine, but "Disable" it by right-clicking and selecting "Disable"

-Create a "Discover" image from this (You do not need to recreate your "Capture Image" thats fine if it already works)

-Refresh your WDS Server

You shouldn't receive any errors while creating a Discover Image using the boot.wim from the Windows 2008 or Vista install media.

Both of these contain the "Setup" components needed to deploy an Install Image.

Your final Boot List that your WDS Server displays to you should be: [image] - (From what source)

-Windows Vista PE - (WinPE 2.0 from WAIK)

-"Capture Image" - (WinPE 2.0 from WAIK or 2008\Vista boot.wim)

-"Discover Image" - (Window 2008\Vista install media ONLY)

Hope this works for you, as it has worked many times for me.

Post any errors or problems and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. But you shouldn't have any problems doing things this way.

Ok, It all seems to work.. :yes:

The only problem I ran into is that my test machine is x86, so the Windows 2008 Beta 3 (from my MS ActionPack) which has only a x64 boot.wim file couldn't create a x86 discover images from my capture image of Windows XP Pro 32bit. :huh:

So I've taken the Vista DVD which has a x86 boot.wim and used that one instead, I'm currently making a new capture-image to test it, but I'm sure it will work because I was able to get into the discover image I created and was able to pick an install-image (only not the one I needed).

Thanks guys! :thumbup: it would have taken me another week to get this one to work! I hope 2Tall is also able to get this to work.

r00ster

[GUIDE] Creating WIM images of Windows XP for system deployment using, Downloadable tutorial

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=674778

Doesn't deal with WDS though, that will be another guide I will post later, have to get a system I can use for test WDS on first. All my test systems are currently dedicated to another project.

Thanks for the fresh links guys I will take a look.

Back to XP Image Deployment via WDS:

I am still having problems so I guess I have missed something quite obvious.

Here is a detailed step by step guide regards the steps I have followed:

DS Forum Post

Just to clarify, I would like to image machines with an XP Pro Image using WDS not VISTA.

Here are the steps I have taken:

I extracted F1_WinPE and F3_WinPE from WAIK

In the WDS MMC right click the "Boot Images" folder and select "Add Boot Image"

Browsed to the location I saved the WinPE images extracted earlier: ‘F1_WinPE and F3_WinPE’

Added both images. The images appear in the "Boot Images" folder.

Microsoft Windows Vista PE (x86)

Microsoft Windows Vista PE (AMD64)

Right clicked the Windows Vista PE (x86) image and selected "Create Capture Boot Image"

Named the new boot image “Windows XP Pro Captured Image’ and selected to save the new image to: E:\RemoteInstall\Images

This created the capture image.

I then right clicked the "Boot Images" folder and selected to add another boot image

Navigated to the location I just saved the capture image and imported into WDS as

‘Windows XP Pro Captured Image’

The capture image appeared in the "Boot Images" folder.

Workstation to be imaged:

Installed Windows XP Pro along with Office 2007

Created a folder in the root of the C: drive called sysprep

From the XP Pro CD I copied contents of ‘Deploy’ from the support folder to C:\sysprep

From sysprep folder I ran "setupmgr.exe" to create the answer file needed for an automatic installation on Windows.

Then from the sysprep folder I ran the sysprep executable

Ticked the box "Use Mini Setup" and click the "RESEAL" button /Shutdown

On restart I selected to PXE boot (F12).

The workstation was issued a DHCP address from the WDS server. A text-based selection screen appeared. I selected the capture image created earlier:

Windows XP Pro Captured Image’

Windows then displayed “Windows is loading files” and a progress bar. This took 1-2 hours (maybe because I am working in a virtual environment?)

The Image Capture Wizard was then displayed.

I selected to save the image locally E:\images

I named the file Windows XP Pro (x86)

I was unable to use the option: Upload to server. It failed with error:

‘The network path was not found’ (I tried both server name and IP?)

The image capture completed for volume C.

The image did not upload to the server automatically after the Capture Wizard completed. I thought that I read somewhere that you had to save the image locally it then uploaded to the WDS server automatically upon completion?

So I had to reboot the sysprep machine in order to copy the .wim image manually.

The desktop eventually loaded after a few errors (sysprep image could not join domain, could not log on with password provided etc…..)

I navigated to drive E: and copied the captured image:

E:\images\Windows XP Pro (x86).wim to network share on WDS server: \\svr1\captured_images

On the WDS server right click "Install Images" and selected to add an install image.

I browsed to the location I saved the sysprep image:

\\svr1\captured_images\Windows XP Pro (x86).wim

The XP Pro image installed to the WDS "Install Images" folder.

Then from the Boot Images folder I selected to create ‘Discover Boot Image’ from the boot.wim imported earlier from the Windows 2008 DVD.

Discover Microsoft Windows Longhorn Setup (x64)

(basically just added Discover to the default name!)

I saved the Discover Image file to: E:\captured_images

From ‘Boot Images’ I selected ‘Add Boot Image’ and then browsed to E:\captured_images and selected Discover Microsoft Windows Longhorn Setup (x64).WIM.

This then added the discover image to my ‘Boot Images’ folder.

Boot Images Folder Reads as follows:

Microsoft Windows Vista PE (x86)

Microsoft Windows Vista PE (AMD64)

Capture Microsoft Windows XP (x86) Status = Disabled

Microsoft Windows Longhorn Setup (x64) Status = Disabled

Discover Microsoft Windows Longhorn

I started a bare metal VM and hit F12 for PXE boot.

After a pause of around 3 minutes “Windows is loading files” progress bar appeared.

This took 90 minutes to complete.

When complete NOTHING? Just a command prompt: (see attached screen dump).

X:\Windows\System32>wpeinit followed by

X:\Windows\System32>

Thanks,

Phil.

post-147188-1186135593_thumb.jpg

Ok, heres my guide if I sound like an a** during some parts please forgive me, as its after 2am here.

Do all this from scratch to prevent errors and only use x86 stuff VM's are 32-bit ONLY (yes its a B!$ but humor me) I have this all setup in a DOC with pictures and all but it has company info, because its for my co-workers in IT and I need to strip all that and then I'll post it, it takes time. Give me a break I'm only 17

Ok to start you will need:

2x Servers I perfer 2008 but 2003 SP2 (can be R2) works fine (NOT ON VIRTUAL SERVER for now at least, I'm testing it)

1x VM for Capture and Deploy (NOT ON VIRTUAL SERVER)

1x Windows Server 2008 "boot.wim"

1x WinPE 2.0 from WAIK "winpe.wim"

Options:

Create Three vm's on a single machine with enough RAM for all

• 2x Windows Server 2003 "128MB Ram"x2 = 256mb
  • 1x Windows Test Machine that can run Windows Server 2008 Boot Image (Made from 2008 boot.wim, Windows 2008 setup requires 512mb) ""512mb RAM"x1 = 512mb

256+512=768 Total RAM + HOSTRAM(512mb?) = 1.28(1.5) GB (Recommended 2GIG)

OR

Create WDS Server andor Domain Controller andor Client(Widows XP) on physical machines

OR(not tested)

Create the two server on VS but have client on a DIFFERENT physical machine, VM or spare laptop or something.

Note:

I have not tested running the DC and WDS Build Server on VS I can't say it'll work, yet.

WDS Will NOT Work fast or sometime at all when all three, especially the client are VS's on VS, plain and simple (90 minute waits), trust me on that one I've spent days at work trying to figure that BS out, finally I gave up, its to easy to get around, get a 6715b, i.e a decent laptop or desktop. Throw 3gigs of ram in it and install VC2007, done.

Step One:

• Create first server (1), name it 2003AD or something that references that it is an Domain Controller
  • Install Active directory name domain "WDS.Test"
  • Set static IP 10.73.1.1
  • Set static DNS Crap
  • Install DHCP
  • Add scope call it "WDS Test"
  • Scope range 10.73.1.25-100
  • Activate scope
  • Restart, login
  • Create new Domain Admin, pick fancy name (oh, and set a **** password, a good one)
  • Return server to logon screen, its done, set and forget.

Step Two:

• Create second server (2)
  • Name it 2003BS (Build Server)
  • Boot
  • Login with new Domain Admin
  • Set IP 10.73.1.2
  • Add to "WDS.Test" Domain
  • Install WDS
  • Start>Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs>AddRemove Windows Components>WDS
  • Restart
  • Login with fancy new Domain Admin
  • Watch Stargate-SG1
  • And Atlantis
  • Go to WDS MMC
  • Start>Admin Tools>WDS
  • Right-Click>Configure Server
  • Respond to all, uncheck add image now
  • Finish
  • Add Windows Server 2008 boot.wim *disable this as its useless alone*
  • Add Windows PE boot.wim from WAIK
  • Right-Click on vista PE and click "Create Capture Boot Image"
  • Right-Click on Windows Server 2008 Setup and click "Create Discover Image"

Step Three:

• Create Windows XP VM
  • Install Windows
  • Sysprep it
  • Reboot

Step Four:

• Boot WinXP VM off network
  • Select Capture Image
  • Follow prompts
  • Save image to a local drive (this must be done) then click the check box to upload it to the WDS server.
  • Type the server name (2003BS) and click connect it will change the name to one with the full dns tag. (2003BS.wds.test) post-7953-1186293083_thumb.jpg
  • Name image Windows XP Syspreped, click next, and wait.
  • Turn off when done

Step Five: Optional as windows setup has options for this, but I know how to use diskpart to a "T" and I show it. ;)

• Select WinPE Image
  • tyoe "diskpart" at prompt
  • then "Select disk 0"
  • then "clean"
  • "create partition primary"
  • "select partition 1"
  • "assign letter=C"
  • "format fs=ntfs quick" (DO NOT forget the "quick")
  • "active" (Don't forget this as windows won't boot without it)
  • "exit"
  • "exit" (not a typo VM will restart)

Step Six:

• Select Discover Image
  • Follow Prompts
  • User= WDSFancy name admin
  • password
  • Select Windows XP Syspreped image
  • Follow prompts (format drive) it will reboot when done

Step Seven:

• Your done transfer all settings into real world environments, using you own server names, domain servername, etc.

Step Eight:

• I'm F@#$%*! done its 3:30am now, an hour and a half not bad.

Please list all problems I want to hear them, this should work, and I really hope it helps you.

p.s i know the picture is wrong, but its all i had.

Edited by Chdboy4