Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

[GUIDE] Creating WIM images of Windows XP for system deployment using

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

joe blog

joe blog
  • 6 posts
I have started with a base install, no applications at all. I have also noticed that when it boots to the Cd-rom, just after the writing 'Starting Caldera Dr Dos', it says
Device name: MSCD001
No Drives Found Aborting Installation. Then it carries on with the rest of what I reported in my previous post.
Any chance I could get a working boot disk from some website to get me cracking or if someone can upload some boot CD to yousendit.com for me to pickup. My e-mail address is: ndiosha@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

p4ntb0y

p4ntb0y

• PipPip
  • 237 posts
Iceman has done a very nice guide very precise and complete

It is unfair to bombard this thread with issues that are semi connected. I would start a new thread if you have a problem so the maxium people will see it.

USB keyboards have never been a problem with winpe 2.0

with the caldera dr-dos where is this in the guide? I think maybe your trying to load a 16bit app?

I don't know

On the uploading of boot cd's Your not allowed to distro winpe sources.

To be honest iceman is a brave man posting his guide as a you get a flood of mails on how do you do this etc and it puts people off posting guides. He has a job to do not be the support point for everything that is related to this guide.

This guide has everything you reguire.

A good start would be to RTFM winpe.chm

@A1Dan

the speed of the switch will help but the data only gets sent once so that all clients respond so Multicast will help on whatever speed the hardware is it will just take a bit longer

joe blog

joe blog
  • 6 posts
That's exactly the problem. I appreciate his guide and followed it word for word. Burnt the cd without any probs, but when I boot to it it halts. If Iceman is happy to help who do you think you are to stop him? Not everyone is as selfish as you.

p4ntb0y

p4ntb0y

• PipPip
  • 237 posts
look I am not flaming you and iceman can indeed do what he wants to I just telling you what it can be like.

I can't be selfish can I if I am trying to help you?

PS don't make this into a flaming session there is no need beleive me

@Joe Blog

What hardware you booting on?

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
Ok, guys, cool it.

@JoeBlog - where did caldera come from???

If you follow the guide the first thing you would see would be the normal "press any key to boot from cd/dvd...." prompt, then the progress bar will appear as it loads. You should not have anything from caldera if you followed the guide and are writing the created ISO to a CD and booting from the cd. The last thing you should end up with is the default Vista background, looks like green and blue rays going up the screen, with a dos window open that rean winpeint and then dumps you to an X:\windows\system32 prompt.

You don't need any boot disk. All you need to do is download the WAIK, link in the Guide. Everything you need to follow the guide is included in it.

@Tripredacus - do a search for "hardware independent image" or "universal image" via google or here in the forums, it has been disused in multiple threads here different approaches to do what you are after. If you can't git it worked out start another thread over in the windows xp forum.

joe blog

joe blog
  • 6 posts
Sorry P4ntBoy and Thankyou P4antboy and Iceman.
I guess we may be singing from different hymbooks. I was doing this on an XP machine (not vista). Hardware is Dell Optiplex GX620 and optiplex 745). I have set my PC to boot from Cd-rom in bios, but it does not give me that 'press any key to boot from CD...' prompt;it just boots straight into caldera DOS. Where this came from I do not know. I have also followed a Microsoft Walkthrough, which is in the help section of WAIK, but it gives me the same effect.

Even where you say in your guide we should not close the window as this will cause the machine to reboot. There is no way I could close mine as I do not really have a modal window. Myabe I should start a new thread as suggested.
Thanks for your help.

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
that new thread suggestion wasn't for your problem it was for Tripredacus.

when you are walking through the guide are you using the cmd scripts in it or are you typing in all the commands manually?

On page 7 step 13, where the winpe_x86.iso file is created, how are you burning this CD image to your CD? Its default location in my guide is c:\winpe_x86\

If you have virtual machine software, create a virtual machine with at least 384MB of memory, then set this CD ISO image file for the cd. and then boot the VM and boot form the cd and see what you get. You can get Virtual PC from Microsoft or VMWare Server from VMWare for free.

joe blog

joe blog
  • 6 posts
Hi Iceman,
Iam not using the batch files you you provided. I am typing them in. Everything goes smoothly, but I may have gotten something wrong when creating the CD. I use Nero to burn the CD, I select make data disk, then bootable disk, then I browse tothe C:\winpe_x86 and select the .iso file. What could I be doing wrong here?The .iso file is about 202MB. It is obvious I am either not creating the right image or not burning the CD correctly. I have tried burning the .iso file as a normal data file, but the boot process does not read the CD at all, and as a bootable file, it starts referring to caldera DOS. Is there another option of creating the CD??
Please help.
Thanks

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
I have not used nero in a long time, but I believe there should be an option to burn an image to disc or something similar. That is what you want to use to burn the cd. Select that option browse to the ISO and then click burn.

joe blog

joe blog
  • 6 posts
God Bless you Iceman!

I misunderstood the 'burn image to CD'. I was just burning a bootable CD. Should have gone for the nero option which says "Burn image to CD". If this helps you may want to update the guide for idiots like me whodonot knowthere is a difference betweemburning a CD and burning an image.
Cheers and Thanks for sticking with me through this task.
joe b

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
Not a problem Joe Blog. Glad to help the i d 10 t's out whenever I can. Don't feel too bad about it I had a manager that did the same thing, more than once.

foxbymariuss

foxbymariuss
  • 1 posts
Hello

Very good tutorial.
Having some problems... if someone could help me, i thank you very much.
So... I am creating the CD, I am booting the source system from the CD, I type the command imagex /capture c:\ d:\C_Image.wim “Drive C” “My image description” /compress maximum
(page 9 step 5)... and it starts scanning files. The problem is that after 8500 files scanned it stops with an error (related to a file - c:\windows\system32\camocx.dll) - Error:0. I also tried imaging other systems - I receive errors in the same step - but not on the same file. Sometimes it steps scaning at boot.ini - Error 8, sometimes at other dll.
Can anyone, please, help me with correcting this ?
Thanx very much in advance.

reddog64

reddog64
  • 2 posts
So let me get this straight...

I can no longer (with wds) walk up to a workstation, hit F12, select my image and walk away as I did with RIS...

This seems like alot of work to make an image now.. and even more to deploy it...

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
The process described here has nothing to do with WDS. As I have not had but maybe 20 minutes to play with WDS and could not use RIS I can't say what you can and can't do with it.

p4ntb0y

p4ntb0y

• PipPip
  • 237 posts
@foxbymariuss

I take it d: is your external drive?

I would do a chkdsk on your vol first before you do a capture I have had this happen to me once before.

I think the cmd line is chkdsk /r

Correct me if am wrong.

@reddog64
You can so many things with this...

SMS OSD FP Deploy by SMS.
you can have a lite touch deployment based on serial number or mac address subnet anything really.
or maybe a fully zero touch deployment will be better but your need a "Provisiong Server"

You can have just a straight F12 Ris to boot your winpe or os or use WDS.

This is all extra stuff thats not covered in the guide.

The BDD2007 Workbench is very good as well as the BDD2.5 wait till you read thru the whitepapers took me ages to read.

This is a guide to produce a reference image and guide you thru the steps required so that you can understand and not just follow the steps without understanding.

Iceman please dont get put off posting further guides :-)

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
I'm still working on the other guides I have planned, it is just slow going since my workload has increased recently.

KRYOGENIUS

KRYOGENIUS

Enhancer

• PipPip
  • 209 posts
Hello

Thanks ! Very useful guide !

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
Updated PDF.

Added Online driver installation information. And how to remove unused packages from PE image to shrink final size using export command.

sunny1552

sunny1552

• 18 posts
In by case it didnt worked. Followed ur guide to create an image inside VM.
And applied it to the Fresh Pc it shows up BSOD?

Where am i wrong. Tried partitioning both with Diskpart and Acronis Disk Director.

PS: Does WinPE disk contains Bootsect.exe by default or i have to add it?

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
What was your BSOD? Did you sysprep your image and have sysprep add the Mass storage controllers? What are you using for your VM (VPC, VMWare, etc.)? What HAL is installed in your image and what HAL is required for your destination PC?

sunny1552

sunny1552

• 18 posts
Let me make it very clear. I had tried 2 make a working WIM twice.

1. Installed Virtual Box in Pentium D 805 based PC, Created VM, Installed XP PRO SP2 with Autopatcher and apps. Sysprepped and Restarted with Win PE 2 disk and created Wim image of it. I used this Image in two Scenarios-

a. I used this image in Virtual Server 2005 R2 (Same machine) and applied it to dynamically expanding VDD and had shown BSOD and immediately restarted.

b. Booted a fresh Dual Core Machine with it and applied the image. It showed BSOD and immediately restarted so dont know the error details.

2. Installed XP PRo sp2 in Compaq C702TU Celeron D Laptop (Disabled the SATA as the lappy didnt had Floppy Drive) and autopatcher etc. Sysprepped it and restarted and booted it with PE2 and created WIM.

I tested this WIM in Virtual Server 2005 R2 and this time it shown Black screen after booting. (I formatted the VDD via Acronis Disk Director)

Where am i Wrong?

sunny1552

sunny1552

• 18 posts
Iceman is there any (Working) way to create the XP Wim in VM and use it for Real Machines. As my attempt to create an image in VirtualBox was successful but it after deploying it failed in real machines and Microsft's Virtual Server.

Edited by sunny1552, 26 October 2007 - 06:51 AM.

zorphnog

zorphnog

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
What do you do in your sysprep process? Are you adding drivers for the real machines before you sysprep? Are you using the BuildMassStorage section in your sysprep.inf? Are you using bootsect.exe to create your boot sector after you format the drive and before you apply the WIM? Your problem lies somewhere in your implementation.

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
What you need to do is create your image to be a Universal or Hardware independent image. The guide I provide does not do this it only provides you with instructions for a free method of capturing and deploying an image. In a way that is more easily readable and understandable to the general masses than the manuals and instructions provided with the WAIK.

Do a search of the forums or google for 'universal image' or 'hardware independent image' and check that out. There is a lot of information about it here and elsewhere. If you have further questions about a hardware independent image please start a new topic.

sunny1552

sunny1552

• 18 posts
@zorphnog
Created Sysprep answer file in setupmgr, copied the sysprep tools in c\sysprep with sysprep answer file. and run the sysprep reseal and restarted, captured the image in Win pe2. Didnt added any device drivers. Didnt used bootsect.exe before before appyying thw WIM.

@IcemanND
Thanks for the info i will check that up. Do u have any good link in mind.

Edited by sunny1552, 27 October 2007 - 01:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN