Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

[GUIDE] Creating WIM images of Windows XP for system deployment using

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

Snark

Snark
  • 4 posts
Thanks, a great guide and an amazing time saver!

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

pinkfloyder

pinkfloyder
  • 2 posts
Great....thanks for the guide!!

DigeratiPrime

DigeratiPrime

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,550 posts
Excellent guide I suggest it be stickied! I followed it with no problems and was able to complete it and get a working PE environment on my first try! :) I noticed a couple little things though:

In Build_All.cmd you should remove the space in the SET variable lines, otherwise the oscdimg cmd will fail.

Set PEDest=c:\winpe_x86
set MSDPath=c:\drivers\MSD
set LANPath=c:\drivers\LAN

The cleanup or shrink option for imagex is not included in the Build_All.cmd file:

imagex /boot /export %PEDest%\winpe.wim 1 %PEDest%\shrink.wim
copy %PEDest%\shrink.wim %PEDest%\ISO\sources\boot.wim /Y

Also I had trouble deploying from a network share and had to use "computername\username" or "ip\username" to connect. Not sure of the cause of this but I found some other topics and posts about this problem. I do have SP3 RC on the host machine.

The # of and location of the driverpacks.net mass_storage drivers that cause bootup to hang has changed. Currently "3B, AD8, D" cause problems.
Recommended Software: KeePass | Microsoft ICE | VisualWget | Vitamin D Video |

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
@DigeratiPrime - Pinned and document updated. Thanks.

iceangel89

iceangel89

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
err did u miss out the part to add imagex? i get imagex is not a reconised ... batch/program error

and i saw that i need to copy it from “C:\Program files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\imagex.exe”? from http://technet2.micr...3bc3fa1033.mspx

Copy additional tools such as ImageX into your Windows PE build directory. For example, type:

Copy “C:\Program files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\imagex.exe” C:\WinPE_x86\iso\subfolder

Where subfolder is any folder structure required to support your tools.

so now, do i need to redo every step to add this? i made a winpe_X86.iso already

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
@ Iceangel89 - Page 6 step 6

You should be able to remount the wim and copy those files. the copy the wim back into the iso folder and recreate the iso.

bmw_gdc

bmw_gdc
  • 1 posts
This guide is great. I am using it to set up images for our new WDS server. THANKS.
Anybody know how I can set up a ghostcast session using the winpe boot on my WDS server. We used to use 3com PXE with the universal packet driver, which would allow us to use ghostcast. I am not sure if the winpe image needs a universal packet driver or not. I tried to load the dos driver, but I am thinking that winpe only allows 32 bit drivers. Any input?

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
all you should have to do is include the windows 32-bit drivers for your nic(s). and then use the 32-bit version of Ghost and the Ghostcast server (Ghost32.exe and ghstsrv32.exe, might be wrong on the ghostcast exe name) Copy them to the cd as described in the appendix of the guide and launch from the command window and use as you did before.

fizban2

fizban2

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,900 posts

Cool tutorial! ;)

I've got a question: Can I use this tutorial to deploy an image to several pcs at a time? Which programs let me deploy this image? Can I use it with BDD or later on SCCM (newest SMS2003)?

you can use the image with windows Deployment 4 or build your own image from within it as well.

iceangel89

iceangel89

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

You should be able to remount the wim and copy those files. the copy the wim back into the iso folder and recreate the iso.

err u mean that i have to find out whatever services i need? like imagex? i dont see imagex there did i? but anyway i'll try that.

Good guide tho :thumbup

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts

err u mean that i have to find out whatever services i need? like imagex? i dont see imagex there did i? but anyway i'll try that.

Good guide tho :thumbup

That step does the copying of the tools to the CD, imagex and others.

iceangel89

iceangel89

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
mmm did that but somehow its missing... maybe it didn't go into the wim... but nvm

now when i start from step 5

5. Now mount the Windows PE boot image as a folder on your machine so that it may be edited by typing the following: imagex /mountrw c:\winpe_x86\winpe.wim 1 c:\winpe_x86\mount

then at step 9

9. Prepare the Windows PE Image by typing, this removes unneeded items from the image: peimg /prep c:\winpe_x86\mount\Windows /f

i get

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools>peimg /prep D:\winpe_x86\mount\Window
s /f
Preinstallation Environment Image Setup Tool for Windows
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

The image directory specified is a Windows PE image that was
previously prepared with the /PREP command.

PEIMG failed to complete the operation with status code 0x80070002.

so i skip that step?

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
Unless you started completely over from scratch you only need to run the Prep command on the mounted image once. It removes the installable packages that you did not install.

DigeratiPrime

DigeratiPrime

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,550 posts
Although I've been meaning fully go through the guide again since Vista/WAIK SP1 released, I wanted to point out a few "regressions" I noticed in the new pdf :D

Copying and pasting the text inside the quotations does not preserve line breaks.
On Page 2 there are two instances of "Error! Bookmark not defined." one at "Installing drivers to Windows PE" a second at "Install_Drivers.CMD".
I am not sure why but the new pdf is about 4x the size of the original one despite being about the same length and having no images.
WAIK (SP1) now available, maybe mention or add a download link on page 5 since its not immediately obvious?

BTW I integrated the LAN Driverpack before as well, a couple drivers did not integrate but those that did did not cause any problems. I am going to be looking further into the integration of the new series of driverpacks soon.

Keep up the good work :thumbup
Recommended Software: KeePass | Microsoft ICE | VisualWget | Vitamin D Video |

nationals

nationals
  • 2 posts
Hi,
But where can I get the following file?

Install_MSD.cmd & Install_Network.cmd?

if "%installmsd%"=="true" call Install_MSD.cmd %MSDPath%
if "%installlan%"=="true" call Install_Network.cmd %LANPath%

thanks!

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
WOW. over 3000 downloads and no one has ever noticed that, including me.

Both lines should be changed to:
if "%installmsd%"=="true" call Install_Drivers.cmd %MSDPath%
if "%installlan%"=="true" call Install_Drivers.cmd %LANPath%

nationals

nationals
  • 2 posts
:rolleyes:

I found this after I download and read the pdf file.

but one more thing,

the code
set Drivers=% 1
should be change to
set Drivers=%1
:thumbup

and I have add the following to the build_all.cmd file:

Set installghost=true
Set GhostPath=C:\Apps\Ghost

if "%installghost%"=="true" xcopy %GhostPath% %PEDest%\mount\windows

and then, put the ghost32.exe(ver. 8.3) and ghostexp.exe to the folder - C:\Apps\Ghost.

GTO455

GTO455

• 16 posts
Great guide IcemanND, Thanks!

Can someone use the the following in an example? I can't seem to wrap my head around this part. I understand that you create the file, but how does the syntax look?

Install_Drivers.CMD
When calling pass a variable pointing to the driver directory which contains the drivers you wish to install, the given directory will be recursively searched.

set Drivers=%1 
set DestFolder=c:\winpe_x86 
pushd %Drivers% 
for /f %%i in ('dir /s /b *.inf') do ( peimg /inf:%%i %DestFolder%\mount\windows 
if ERRORLEVEL 1 echo %%i>>%Drivers%\bad_driver.txt 
) 
popd

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
dir /s /b *.inf returns a list of all of the INF files in the directory passed to the batch file which is stored in the %Drivers% variable.

each file in the list is then passed to the PEIMG command to be processed and then the process is repeated until the end of the list.

GTO455

GTO455

• 16 posts
Ok..... so let's say I have a directory called "MyDrivers" off of my C:\ drive. And that folder contains several subfolders with *.inf, *.cat, etc. files in them. How would I use the Install_Drivers.CMD file to parse those folders? (Like I said, I'm not understanding this part...)

dir /s /b *.inf returns a list of all of the INF files in the directory passed to the batch file which is stored in the %Drivers% variable.

each file in the list is then passed to the PEIMG command to be processed and then the process is repeated until the end of the list.

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
install_drivers.cmd c:\MyDrivers

GTO455

GTO455

• 16 posts
Worked like a charm! Thank you!

install_drivers.cmd c:\MyDrivers

nole_kage

nole_kage
  • 2 posts
IThe information on DISK PART was a life saver. I had some problems applying a VISTA image I made months back. Used the DISK PART that was on the Win PE that is generated in the MDT as a genericx86.iso and it finally booted. Many thanks to you and the people of these forums for wonderful info. I'll post the problem I had and the solution for it in one of the threads here just incase anyone runs into this problem. Once again thanks.

sagarsanghavi

sagarsanghavi
  • 1 posts
Hi Sir,

I went to your pdf for winpe creation and other good scripts, i Had one query i have created a master wim File , Using all you scripts, As i want to have the CD/DVD for the installation of Wim Images for Windows Xp, My master image is more than 5GB so when i burn the DVD its files system change from Bootable to UDf and then i am not able to but, So for that if want to split and Put diffrenton CD/DVD can help me in Step by Step procedure on how to split and and merge the wim image to Deploy on MAchine using CD/DVD or can show me any other ay to deploy the master image which is more then 5 GB,

Your Help is apprectiated..........

Thanks & Regards,

Sagar Sanghavi

I wrote up this tutorial for my coworkers but my boss is reluctant to let me give it out. He's afraid i will create too much additional support work for me.

So rather than let it collect dust on my hard drive I thought I would at least post it here for everyone else's reading pleasure.

If you have additions, changes, find errors, etc. let me know and I'll update as appropriate and give credit where due.

Also, this does not have anything to do with WDS directly; though I'm sure that some of the processes described in the document may apply.

1/14 - added export command to build_all.cmd script and removed erroneous spaces. Updated information on adding Mass storage drivers for current Mass Storage Driverpack version - Thanks DigeratiPrime. 1439 prior downloads
8/25 - updated added method for adding drivers to running PE and shrinking image using export command. Thanks to p4ntb0y for the suggestions. 896 prior downloads
7/26 - Updated PDF to reflect comments from JuMz and chiners_68. Thanks guys. 140 prior downloads

Philep

Philep
  • 3 posts
Hi, I tried this guide, first i've made the winPE cd. Then i added the boot.wim to boot images on WDS. I also made an image using imagex and the Windows PE cd. But when i boot a computer via PXE, the windows vista environment starts and runs X:\Windows\system32\wpinit After that it does nothing. Anyone got an idea what this could be?

Thanks

Philippe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN