Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

[GUIDE] Creating WIM images of Windows XP for system deployment using

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Supervisor
  • 10,202 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

That is one method, but you can also use PEIMG to put the drivers in the boot WIM. Remember, the PE is actually an operating system, and you can service it (ie install packages, programs and drivers) when it is offline/not booted. If you end up having a lot of different drivers to load, it may reduce boot time.

As far as XP images go, it depends on your licensing. You can sysprep the images before capture OR you may just be able to run the SID Changer on the machine instead. You'd have to test which option is best for you because sometimes SID Changer can break some account related functions like Task Scheduler and IIS for example. I create XP images (not too much anymore) and keep hardware specific images just to be safe from possible problems. My control criteria for XP images are the motherboard, video card (if no onboard video), HAL, Service Pack and BIOS version.

Lastly, I hope your Broadcom drivers work, some Broadcom NICs do not work in WinPE.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

fly

fly

• PipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Joined 21-December 04

That is one method, but you can also use PEIMG to put the drivers in the boot WIM. Remember, the PE is actually an operating system, and you can service it (ie install packages, programs and drivers) when it is offline/not booted. If you end up having a lot of different drivers to load, it may reduce boot time.

As far as XP images go, it depends on your licensing. You can sysprep the images before capture OR you may just be able to run the SID Changer on the machine instead. You'd have to test which option is best for you because sometimes SID Changer can break some account related functions like Task Scheduler and IIS for example. I create XP images (not too much anymore) and keep hardware specific images just to be safe from possible problems. My control criteria for XP images are the motherboard, video card (if no onboard video), HAL, Service Pack and BIOS version.

Lastly, I hope your Broadcom drivers work, some Broadcom NICs do not work in WinPE.

FWIW, changing the SID isn't necessary. Also, using anything other than sysprep to change the SID is unsupported by MS.

barren

barren
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 23-March 10
I was using the broadcom driver folder just as an example... We are an HP shop... just glancing over, my current laptop uses an Intel 82566MM Gigabit nic for wired and intel 4965ag wireless... looks like I just use an e1000 driver driver for the wired nic.

As for loading them offline, I'm fine with that too... but will the PE actually pick which drivers to load or give me a choice? It would be sweet if it automatically found the nic and pulled the driver from the cd without me having to train my admins how to load the driver manually after it has booted... but it's not mandatory.

And regarding sysprep, I'm familiar with it... at my former company, I used Altiris for workstation deployment, we would always sysprep the base machine just prior to making the image.

I just wish there was a bit more documentation for the MS deployment options.. most the "guides" are useless.... this is the first one that actually seemed to be accurate and has some continued support. I've loaded deployment toolkit 2010 and nlite and have not had much success in loading a machine. I did manage to get the mass storage drivers loaded, but haven't been successful in getting the rest of the drivers to load automatically.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Supervisor
  • 10,202 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

FWIW, changing the SID isn't necessary. Also, using anything other than sysprep to change the SID is unsupported by MS.

Thanks for pointing that out. I will check into this.
Posted Image

barren

barren
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 23-March 10
Also another question... what nic driver am I looking for in particular? I tossed all the drivers I have for the HP NC6400 laptop nic onto a flash drive... I can access the flash drive from the machine i want to image, while booted in PE... but when I try to do the drvload, it fails no matter which directory I point it at. I have winxp32, xp64, ndis2, 2k, etc...

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,252 posts
  • Joined 24-September 03
Vista driver needed. PE2 which is what you created is based off of windows Vista.

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,252 posts
  • Joined 24-September 03
If he is using SMS/SCCM a SID change is necessary as the GUID that SMS/SCCM uses is partially based off of the SID and SMS/SCCM do not like duplicate GUIDs. You could kinda get away with it in SMS but SCCM is much less tolerant of duplicate GUIDs.

barren

barren
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 23-March 10

Vista driver needed. PE2 which is what you created is based off of windows Vista.

Thank you!

Let's say I get this WIM to upload to my workstation... can I then import it into Deployment workbench and make a fancy unattended DVD with application choices and the whole she-bang?

Every other attempt I've had with loading a clean OS install from the deployment workbench ended in blue screens... at least with HP hardware, I did get one to load on a dell... but no drivers actually loaded, so it definitely needed some major tweaking.. but with the HP's, that doesn't even work for me.

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,252 posts
  • Joined 24-September 03
I have never used the Deployment workbench so I can't speak to that but I can think of no reason why it would not work.

barren

barren
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 23-March 10

I have never used the Deployment workbench so I can't speak to that but I can think of no reason why it would not work.

Woot, I was finally able to get a driver to load and get an IP! WIM uploaded and now I added it to deployment workbench... loading up a dvd now.. Lets hope this works!

Thanks much for all your help! Even if the workbench doesn't work, at least now I know that I am able to load up a single machine and save off an image of it for future deployments! A little taste of success today, which is nice!

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Supervisor
  • 10,202 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

If he is using SMS/SCCM a SID change is necessary as the GUID that SMS/SCCM uses is partially based off of the SID and SMS/SCCM do not like duplicate GUIDs. You could kinda get away with it in SMS but SCCM is much less tolerant of duplicate GUIDs.

Well actually, it doesn't matter. XP has ceased support in the channel almost a year ago now!
Posted Image

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,252 posts
  • Joined 24-September 03
XP has ceased support of what?

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Supervisor
  • 10,202 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

XP has ceased support of what?

Looks like I jumbled up my words again. Support of XP through the OEM channel ended last April. So Microsoft does not support the XP my company uses anymore anyways.
Posted Image

DaveWI

DaveWI

• 28 posts
  • Joined 01-March 10
Hey Iceman, Thanks again for all the help.

<EDIT> nevermind the question...

http://www.msfn.org/...age-on-sysprep/

HA!, I just happened to stumble on the above thread, it didn't come up in my searches, I was trying too technical of terms I guess lol.

Edited by DaveWI, 02 April 2010 - 12:13 PM.

konetie

konetie
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 06-May 10
followed the document but When I do capture of the computer( Installed XP,applications with customised settings),it gets succeded But when i deploy it through SCCM,failed with the eror message(when running the Task "Install Operating System") can not find the sysprep on %SystemRoot% .seems like ,Sysprep is required to be placed in systemroot directory .Havent tried it though.

Edited by konetie, 06 May 2010 - 11:38 PM.

-Eswar @ www.solodig.com

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Supervisor
  • 10,202 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

This would be more of an SCCM issue, as if you just use Imagex from in the WinPE you create from this thread, it doesn't care about sysprep at all.
Posted Image

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,252 posts
  • Joined 24-September 03
I have updated this document for use with Windows 7 base PE 3.0 the new topic can be found at
A new version using Windows 7 based PE 3.0 is here: http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__929349

ammokachie

ammokachie
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 15-July 11
Thanks so much for This i hope this will help me out thank you again for sharing it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users