Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

WinPE Based Installer?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

nelix

nelix
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 26-October 03
I wanna make a winpe preinstaller for my unattended cd.
Like it boots up and the user selects options of apps and service packs etc etc then it does the whole install automatic.

I am not sure how to start the installer from winpe or how to go about this.
I have experiance with vb and vb.net and vbscript so i can generate the config scripts from the information gatherd from the user.

If anyone is following me please shed any light you have on the subject?
Much thanks.

p.s. My fisrt post! I love this forum. :)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

tuxman

tuxman

• 47 posts
  • Joined 09-July 03
have a look at http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ it may help

nelix

nelix
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 26-October 03
Yes i use that to make rcovery cd's, but i dont know how to start an installer from it or anything...

Gosh was talking about one he was working on.. but then he left.. :)

I am really interested in having a fully grafical install.

gareththegod

gareththegod

• PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined 28-September 03
Rumor has it that Gosh may return. (Unconfirmed at moment)

Thanatos

Thanatos

GGTW

• PipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Joined 31-August 03
Hopefully he will, and as for starting an installer from winPE, I'd have to download longhorn and see how it does it, or maybe you could add \i386\winnt32.exe to HKLM\Software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run in PE's registry. WinPE is only 57Mb so you could easily fit it on a CD with XP
Posted Image

nelix

nelix
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 26-October 03
Yeah i was thinking about that i amjust kinda unsure and i dont have that much experiance withunattended installs (only made 2 cds) or winPE (only used pebuilder... its not really the same..).
I would really like to see how long horn uses winpe...

Also i dont actualy know where to get winpe.. i have only used pebuilder.. :)

I am prolly in over my head but i think this would be really cool!

Thanks for your replys.

nelix

nelix
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 26-October 03
No one else has any experiance or information? :)

tpipe

tpipe

• 21 posts
  • Joined 06-October 03
WinPE comes in the Oem Preinstallation Kit (OPK) which comes free when a retailer buys a 3 pack of XP OEM installation CDs.

HKBoySiR

HKBoySiR

• 25 posts
  • Joined 14-October 03
Installing from WinPE without using some form of imaging process, is really similar to installing using the unattend.txt method. Its really not that much faster than a regular install.

One way to do this is to have the i386 folder from your XP CD on your WinPE CD, and modifying the startnet.cmd file to do a command somewhat like this

E:\WININST\i386\WINNT32.EXE /S:E:\WININST\i386 /U:D:\MISC\UNATTEND.TXT

I'm working on a way right now to speed that up a bit. Will post more as my plan progresses. :)

Jono

Jono

• PipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Joined 27-September 03
i have much information on WinPE i have just found this thread else i would have posted earlier, ok winpe opk can be easily obtained but i cant post links here, your better off using Barts PE Builder and the only real diffrence is his has a nice fancy GUI.

i havent seen winpe in 57mb myself but i dont not believe anybody because it its possible to do,

well i would imagine if using the OPK which i have and prefer you would just edit startnet.cmd to launch your installer created in VB say

so edit startnet.cmd on the last line put myinstaller.exe this will launch your setup file each startup but do not close this window else the system reboots.

basically i would think a batch file could do what your asking using a series of choice questions and outputting the results into a dynamically created winnt.sif (note would have to be saved on ramdrive or floppy maybe even hardrive) then your only problem would be editing your install.bat (or whatever you use to install your programs in guirunonce) to reflect your application settings.

oh i also hope gosh decides to return.
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Jono</span>

nelix

nelix
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 26-October 03
Gui is nothing i plain to program my own gui.

Thanks for the information i will give this a try tonight and post my results, if i have time (girlfriend is forcing me to go out to dinner... :)).

p.s

Do you think it would be posible to get the .net framework on winpe or barts pe builder..? vb6 is yuky... i might just code somthing in c or asm.. (this project gets bigger and bigger.. but it will be worth it when i show it off at school).

Thanks again everyone.

voltaic

voltaic

KILL THE SPAMMERS!!

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 09-October 03
one thing to look into is if anyone can get a hold of an *official* winxp preload kit; Attention all employed pc techs: they come in the oem windows "box sets." any make a true blue oem preload set and then disassemble that to find uot how THEY do it, and make modifications to that to suit one's needs

and if fitting everything on there is the issue, i would just use that util that everyone uses to make the Xin1 xp cd (forgot the name) since most of the bulk of the winpe is redundant to the xp install set of files. i think that should work.
-Voltaic
Voltaic's Windows Installer: Specify Windows' settings, applications to install, and tweaks to install with Windows all at runtime; a few clicks, wait for files to copy and you're done!

hbcnyh

hbcnyh
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 06-January 04

Hopefully he will, and as for starting an installer from winPE, I'd have to download longhorn and see how it does it, or maybe you could add \i386\winnt32.exe to HKLM\Software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run in PE's registry. WinPE is only 57Mb so you could easily fit it on a CD with XP

how to make 57Mb pe?
please provide the links. thank u all.

Sunil

Sunil

• PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Joined 24-June 03
There is a actually a forum string that has this particular thing discussed

View

gosh

gosh

gosh 2.0

• Patrons
  • 2,347 posts
  • Joined 03-October 03
To make a smaller winpe see my site, under step3 of my unattend guide.

-gosh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users