Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

7z SFX Modified Module and Tools

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
476 replies to this topic

gora

gora

• PipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Joined 09-August 07

Am I missing something?

The number of inverted commas always should be to steam rooms (2, 4, 6...) ;)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Martin H

Martin H

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • Joined 24-November 06
@Oleg Sch: When slipstreaming 7z SFX executables directly into the installation source(I386) and references them in TXTSETUP.SIF and DOSNET.INF to be copied over to the systemdrive during textmode-setup, then i get the following textmode filecopy errors for each of the executables :

The file <filename.exe> was not copied correctly. The file Setup placed on your harddrive is not a valid Windows 2000 system image. If you are installing from a CD, there may be a problem with the Windows 2000 CD.

This problem can be fixed by running modifyPE.exe on them first(Thank's Tomcat76 :)), but i was thinking if you would possibly consider changing the module so that the headers of the produced executables wouldn't appear borked to Windows Setup ?

Thank's in advance.

/* Moved to Linux - Thanks for a nice stay all! */
Posted Image

rkillcrazy

rkillcrazy

• 25 posts
  • Joined 23-November 03
Is there a way to show another window that will tell the user to please wait. I have a large SFX that runs through several installs. Unfortunately, the installs can only be installed silently or normally. I'd rather not have to click anything so I use the silent switches. However, the total time it takes from execution of the SFX to the end message stating it's complete is 5-10 minutes which gives a user plenty of time to screw it up by trying to install something else. I get a progress bar for the extraction but it goes away and I see nothing except for a couple of windows that flash by now and then. Ideas?

04-14-08
1221 EDT

Martin H

Martin H

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • Joined 24-November 06
@rkillcrazy : It's not pretty, but you can let the SFX run an unhiden batchfile that installs the app silently and echo's 'Installation in progress' and 'Please wait...' or something during the install. Just a thought :)

@Oleg Sch

I have been thinking about my previous request to you and comed to realize that you of course cannot do anything to fix the filecopy errors during textmode-setup, since textmode-setup checks the PE checksum of the SFX archives header(i.e. the SFX module) and since their isn't a correct checksum there, then it throws an error, and that you of course are unable to place a fixed checksum in the SFX module that would match every SFX archive made later on, so please just ignore my request and sorry for wasting your time...

I have then just adapted my '7z-SFX-maker.cmd' batchfile to also run modifyPE.exe on the produced SFX archives additionally :)

(I know that it sounds strange to slipstream the SFX archives in the way that i do, but the reason for that is that i use HFSLIP and that does this process for me on every SFX,CMD or INF file placed into a specific folder, so that they get slipstreamed and run at first GUI-logon from the RunOnce reg-key and i use that folder for all my SFX's, since they all are pre-configured with extra regfiles with e.g. file-associations etc. and those often dosen't work right from T-13(which HFSLIP also has a folder for)

Posted Image

rkillcrazy

rkillcrazy

• 25 posts
  • Joined 23-November 03

@rkillcrazy : It's not pretty, but you can let the SFX run an unhiden batchfile that installs the app silently and echo's 'Installation in progress' and 'Please wait...' or something during the install. Just a thought :)

Yeah, I used to do that before I started playing with these new modules. Perhaps this should be a feature request? It would be kinda nice to have a window that remained up as long as the original SFX file was still being used.

I'm pretty good with a batch file these days so I know I can get something like this working.

Edited by rkillcrazy, 14 April 2008 - 05:32 PM.

TronBoRG

TronBoRG

• 12 posts
  • Joined 15-May 06
This has been very useful, thanks a lot. I've been using it to create driver packages :)

tk421

tk421
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 10-March 08

Updates of the site and files (and sources) will be available in first or second week of January.
Sorry, but now i'm too busy :(

Do you have any links while the site is updated? Anything would help.

Oleg_Sch

Oleg_Sch

• 34 posts
  • Joined 09-July 07
Sorry, but I wrongly praised my capacity.
I do not have time yet to support the project.
May be in one or two month I'll return to this task

Twisten

Twisten

• 17 posts
  • Joined 18-May 08
no matter :) thank you so very much for the work you've done so far, its greatly appriciated

cool400

cool400

Junior

• Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Joined 08-November 05
Could anyone confirm that I've used the right syntax?

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
GUIMode="2"
RunProgram="\"%%T\\basic\\setup.exe\" /inf=\"%%T\\setup.inf\""
RunProgram="hidcon:cmd /c \"reg add \"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer\CodeIdentifiers\0\Paths\{0e9e68b9-1b29-48f9-8b44-881f89903609}\" /v Description /t REG_SZ /d \"Start des Antivir-Notifiers unterbinden\" /f\""
RunProgram="hidcon:cmd /c \"reg add \"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer\CodeIdentifiers\0\Paths\{0e9e68b9-1b29-48f9-8b44-881f89903609}\" /v SaferFlags /t REG_DWORD /d 00000000 /f\""
RunProgram="hidcon:cmd /c \"reg add \"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer\CodeIdentifiers\0\Paths\{0e9e68b9-1b29-48f9-8b44-881f89903609}\" /v ItemData /t REG_SZ /d \"D:\\Programme\\Avira\\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\\avnotify.exe\" /f\""
RunProgram="hidcon:cmd /c \"reg add \"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\" /v avgnt /t REG_SZ /d \"\"D:\\Programme\\Avira\\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\\avgnt.exe\" /min /nosplash\" /f\""
RunProgram="hidcon:cmd /c \"xcopy avdummy.exe \"D:\\Programme\\Avira\\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\\avnotify.exe\" /R /Y\""
RunProgram="hidcon:cmd /c \"xcopy avdummy.exe \"D:\\Programme\\Avira\\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\\avnotify.dll\" /R /Y\""
InstallPath="C:\\WinXP\\Temp\\Avira"
;!@InstallEnd@!

I ask this because it seems that the last REG-command and the XCOPY-commands don't work :(

Best regards

cool400 :ph34r:

Edited by cool400, 23 May 2008 - 02:47 PM.

Z3tor

Z3tor
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 26-March 04
Is someone developing GUI for sfx installer creation? It would be great...
| HP dv6-2090eo | Core i7-720QM (Clarksfield) | Intel Lynnfield IMC / Intel Ibex Peak-M PM55 | Samsung 4 GB DDR3-1333 MHz | Seagate 320 GB SATA 7200 rpm | nVIDIA GeForce GT 230M | Windows 7 Home Premium x64 |

gora

gora

• PipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Joined 09-August 07

Is someone developing GUI for sfx installer creation? It would be great...

http://www.msfn.org/...342#entry718342

2 cool400
Errors in a code are! Write a code working .bat file - I will write to you how be correct should in a configuration file.

COKEDUDEUSF

COKEDUDEUSF

• PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Joined 24-January 07
Is there an updated version of this? I don't see any updates anywhere.

rilley

rilley
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 11-July 08
Hy, i`m new here, and i got an problem, i`m doing an sfx and i got some problems with the overwrite method .. it` not working :( even if i try to put OverwriteMode="1" or another value it stil not working

when i open the sfx archive it work but every time if i try to open i need to wait before is decompresend and then opened.. in winrar sfx if i put "do not overwrite existent files" it work i don`t need to wait but with 7z sfx.. no .. how can i make this work?

my config is

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
OverwriteMode="1"
InstallPath="c:\\test"
GUIFlags="8"
ExtractTitle="Program name"
ExecuteFile="nowait:program.exe"
;!@InstallEnd@!

and i use this 7zip module modified..

Oleg_Sch

Oleg_Sch

• 34 posts
  • Joined 09-July 07
Sorry, but I can not planning my time. The project temporary frozen. I am hope to return to it in fall.

Oleg_Sch

Oleg_Sch

• 34 posts
  • Joined 09-July 07
To rilley
I'm know about this problem (always full decompression, even if it is not needed) and this is "ToDo".
So far, no solutions to this problem

rilley

rilley
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 11-July 08
@Oleg_Sch and in the future you will improve this option,? and make more stabile like, when you was make the sfx to have the priority to change the icon,( i try in the actual vers and if you change the icon from the sfx will crash out)..

Oleg_Sch

Oleg_Sch

• 34 posts
  • Joined 09-July 07

@Oleg_Sch and in the future you will improve this option,? and make more stabile like, when you was make the sfx to have the priority to change the icon,( i try in the actual vers and if you change the icon from the sfx will crash out)..

Now... I can promise only about "full decompression in 'Overwrite' mode".
Change icon...
What module that You use ? Is it compressed by UPX or other packers ? And more details about "crash out".
I'm think, that this is not problems of the module.
You can send me more info to email or PM

rilley

rilley
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 11-July 08
i`ll post right here, so i use this module 7zsd_all.sfx and if you upx it and you make some sfx files, and you wanna change the icon or something with the "reshack" it change but if you wanna build an sfx if you open the builded sfx, it crush, like "don`t send".. but if you build an sfx and if you wanna change something, i use in the cmd 'upx -d' for decompressing the module, and then i change the icon, and then i compres it back with the upx, and in this method works property, another think i have been seen is, you have the builded sfx and if you open the builded sfx in res hacker, to change the icon, or even to do nothing an then save it, an then open it, it give`s an "dont` send"

:)

Martin H

Martin H

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • Joined 24-November 06
It's not possible to change the icon of an upx'd sfx, so that's normal behaviour...

Also, unless you actually use Deflate or PPMd compression in your sfx's, then you don't need the '7zsd_all.sfx' module and can just stick to '7zsd.sfx', which only supports LZMA decompression, which is 7-Zip's default compression method...

Posted Image

strel

strel

segmentation fault

• PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Joined 24-February 08
Thx for sharing your work Oleg. I found it very useful.

Hope you'll get time to revive this or any other projects.

NOTE: For the time being, I cannot get to the download page.

TranceEnergy

TranceEnergy

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Joined 23-March 06
I'm working on making batch files to be executed while installing windows, pre login, extracting save games to their paths. Typically files that lies under Documents and settings(Users directory).
I also need a pre-install batch file routine to archive savegames (and also configurations). I'm archiving with winrar to extract it to a system path named variable ( %myuser% or %usersdir% f.ex).

As one who re-installs regularly its a pain in the a** to have to take backup of such files all the time, along with adobe settings and so forth.
Any chance of 7z sfx doing this?

TronBoRG

TronBoRG

• 12 posts
  • Joined 15-May 06

I got a problem with the icon of the exe when the size of the archive is bigger than ~700mb.
The problem is that the icon gets replaced to the boring "white rectangle".

Is this a bug with 7zSD?
If it's a known bug, is there any way to prevent it?

I remember reading that this is a windows bug, common to all exe's over 700mb.

Tefole

Tefole

• 20 posts
  • Joined 04-September 04
My installer should only run by (-ai1, ai2 ...) command line switches.
If i or somebody just accidently doubleClick the Exe-File, i get an error, that setup.exe could not found.
To avoid this, î insert the line below:
RunProgram="hidcon:nowait:cmd /c dir"
Is there a solution, if i run this SFX by doubleclick (without command line switches) to get an output (error) text, that 'this installer' could only run by command line switches?

gora

gora

• PipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Joined 09-August 07

Is there a solution, if i run this SFX by doubleclick (without command line switches) to get an output (error) text, that 'this installer' could only run by command line switches?

Yes. For example:
RunProgram="fm20:hidcon:cmd /c echo"
FinishMessage = "ATTENTION!!!\n\nThis installer could only run by command line switches.\n\nWork is interrupted! "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users