Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to: Install win2k or XP from WinPE

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

gosh

gosh

gosh 2.0

• Patrons
  • 2,347 posts
  • Joined 03-October 03
Someone asked how to do this but didn't get a reply. You can install win2k or XP from winpe, but there's a special way to do this. Installing win2k or xp from winpe doesn't neccessarily make the install faster, but it does present some very interesting unattended situations.

Edit startnet.cmd or whatever the winpe batch file is called. Add the following:

For win2k installs add this:

FORMAT D: /fs:ntfs /q /V:gosh /y <--this will auto format the drive!
cacls c:\ /p Everyone:F
.\i386\winnt32.exe /syspart:c: /tempdrive:c /unattend:D:\Flats\Win2k\ProSP3\winnt.sif

For winxp installs put this:

FORMAT D: /fs:ntfs /q /V:gosh /y <--this will auto format the drive!
.\i386\winnt32.exe /syspart:c: /tempdrive:c /unattend:D:\Flats\Win2k\ProSP3\winnt.sif

You'll obviously need to edit the command to fit you. I successfully installed win2k from winpe using that command. The reason you need to change the permissions is because win2k has different root permissions than xp. The xp version of autofmt.exe will format the partition using the xp permissions.

As you can see above, you can specify an unattend file. So when the computer restarts, it starts setup unattended.

If you're interested in auto partitioning and making drive letters, search google. With XP's unattend.txt file you cannot auto specify what partition to format, with winpe you CAN.

Make sure you use the /syspart command, otherwise the drive won't be bootable!

-gosh

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Tbone2

Tbone2

• PipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Joined 03-August 03
gosh,

You have to stop this dude !!!

I will not have any questions if you keep answering them before I ask

Thanks again :rolleyes:

:)
Posted Image

Thanatos

Thanatos

GGTW

• PipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Joined 31-August 03

/syspart:drive_letter

Specifies that you can copy Setup startup files to a hard disk, mark the disk as active, and then install the disk into another computer. When you start that computer, it automatically starts with the next phase of Setup. You must always use the /tempdrive parameter with the /syspart parameter.

Are you syre syspart is needed? One question about that, does the last command copy the CD to C? and if so, wouldn't the unattended file always be in C:\i386
Posted Image

gosh

gosh

gosh 2.0

• Patrons
  • 2,347 posts
  • Joined 03-October 03
You can use other drives or variables if you want, i just didn't test it.

-gosh

Bachus

Bachus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Joined 25-July 03
How does this work with a multiboot cd? I think I might have an idea...

gosh

gosh

gosh 2.0

• Patrons
  • 2,347 posts
  • Joined 03-October 03
You boot from winpe, then run setup from the cd. However you cannot use my method to reduce source, since this requires winnt32.exe.

The real benefit from winpe is you have a full 32 bit OS to run in. You also can make scripts to auto format and repartition. You also have network access, which you don't have under dos.

-gosh

RyanVM

RyanVM

Like a big surly teddy bear.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts
  • Joined 31-August 03
Welcome back, gosh :punk: Posted Image
RyanVM MSFN Files | RyanVM Forums
Please do not link directly to files on my site or modify/redistribute them without getting my permission first. Link to the above URL instead.
Current Update Pack Release: 2.2.2
(Released April 28, 2008)

BTW, 90% of what I say is kidding around. Don't take things so personally ;)

gosh

gosh

gosh 2.0

• Patrons
  • 2,347 posts
  • Joined 03-October 03
::kiss:: i missed you too

-gosh

baliktad

baliktad

Stellar Underachiever

• PipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Joined 24-October 03
I just wanted to add that I don't think very many people grasp just what WinPE will allow us to do. I have been experimenting with Bart's PE Builder and you can make some *killer* tools with it. Since this is an installation thread, however:

I keep various windows source files on my hard disk: Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows 2003. Originally I was copying those my WinPE CD and installing from there but then I realized... a significant portion of operating system installation is just brute force copying from the CD. And even with today's 52 speed CD-ROM drives, optical drives are still orders of magnitude slower than hard disks. Since I reinstall about monthly on this box, I decided to try using WinPE to boot but the hard drive as my installation source.

The results: shocking. What was normally a ~40 to 45 minute process I have reduced to just short of 15 minutes(!). I kid you not. That doesn't include about a minute for WinPE to boot up, but it does include formatting of my old OS partition and a complete unattended installation. You'll obviously need separate partitions for your OS and data but that's a good idea anyway.

For those interested, here's the batch script I start as soon as WinPE loads:
set AnswerFile=.\unattend.txt
set SetupFiles=F:\Working\WinXP\cdroot\WXPFPP\I386 

format d: /fs:NTFS /q /v:WINXP /y
%SetupFiles%\winnt32 /s:%SetupFiles% /unattend:%AnswerFile% /tempdrive:d:
exit
Comments or suggestions welcome.

Bachus

Bachus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Joined 25-July 03
So where do I put these commands? Bart's pebuilder doesn't seem to generate a startnet.cmd..do I do that manually?

gosh

gosh

gosh 2.0

• Patrons
  • 2,347 posts
  • Joined 03-October 03
startnet.cmd or winbom.ini. Winbom.ini has 2 sections for running files - i believe it's [Oemfilestorun] or some crap. Search google on winbom.ini and runonce and i'm sure you'll find the correct paramters. Or of course you could manually run the batch file once winpe is booted.

-gosh

Bachus

Bachus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Joined 25-July 03
Alright, I'm having a small problem starting an unattended XP installation from WinPE. Everything seems to work fine except for when it comes to running winnt32.exe I get this error:

The specified Setup script file (E:\winnt.sif) is inaccessible or invalid. Contact your system administrator.

I had this problem when using the "reducing size of source" guide and I got around that by removing a large chunk of my winnt.sif file. That isn't an option here, so I'm wondering if anyone can see something I've done wrong that would generate this error. This very same file has worked fine in normal unattended installs so I don't know what winnt32 could be having issues with. At any rate, here it is:

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
    AutoPartition=1
    MsDosInitiated="0"
    UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
    UnattendMode=FullUnattended
    OemSkipEula=Yes
    Repartition=No
    OemPreinstall=Yes
    TargetPath=\WINDOWS
    AutoActivate=No
    WaitForReboot=No
    UnattendSwitch=yes
    OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\000\Nforce2\AudioDrv;drivers\000\Nforce2\AudioUtl;drivers\000\Nforce2\Ethernet;drivers\000\Nforce2\GART;drivers\000\Nforce2\IDE;drivers\000\Nforce2\MemCtl;drivers\000\Nforce2\SMBus;drivers\000\Nforce2\USB;Drivers\001\Catalyst3_7;drivers\002\TV_Tuner;drivers\003\HP3320\win2k_xp"
    DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
    ProgramFilesDir=\Programs
    CommonProgramFilesDir=\Programs\Common

[GuiUnattended]
    AdminPassword=*
    EncryptedAdminPassword=Yes
    OEMSkipRegional=1
    TimeZone=40
    OemSkipWelcome=1

[UserData]
    ProductID=removed
    FullName="Richard Bach"
    OrgName=""
    ComputerName=SHODAN

[Display]
    BitsPerPel=32
    Xresolution=1024
    YResolution=768
    Vrefresh=85

[RegionalSettings]
    LanguageGroup=1
    Language=00000409

[Shell]
    CustomDefaultThemeFile = "%WinDir%\Resources\Themes\Metallic.theme"
    DefaultStartPanelOff = Yes

[Identification]
    JoinWorkgroup=HOME

[Networking]
    InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Branding]
    BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes

[Proxy]
    Proxy_Enable=1
    Use_Same_Proxy=0
    HTTP_Proxy_Server=localhost:8080

[URL]
  Home_Page = http://www.google.com

[Components]
    AutoUpdate = Off
    dialer = off
    iis_webadmin = off
    media_clips = off
    OEAccess = off
    Paint = off
    rec = off
    templates = off
    msmsgs = off
    msnexplr=off 
    freecell=off
    hearts=off
    minesweeper=off
    pinball=off
    solitaire=off
    spider=off
    zonegames=off

[GuiRunOnce]
    command0=%systemdrive%\install\mn.cmd

gosh

gosh

gosh 2.0

• Patrons
  • 2,347 posts
  • Joined 03-October 03
Did you type in the path right? Is the file read only? The local source you're using is the full i386 folder right (not the reduzed source)?

Try putting a ; in front of each section to see what section is causing the problem. Then put a ; in front of that section to see what switch is causing the problem.

-gosh

XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC

MSFN SuperB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts
  • Joined 13-October 03
**wrong**

Edited by XtremeMaC, 06 December 2003 - 06:30 AM.

Bachus

Bachus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Joined 25-July 03
Well, it seems that setup doesn't much care for that command0 line, which is rather strange if you ask me. I mean, of course the file isn't in that location--setup has copied it yet. Am I just going to have to copy the file manually before starting setup? Seems kind of silly to me...

Oh, and about that \Programs thing--I'd read that if you leave out a drive letter it will create the directory on the same drive as Windows is installed. I haven't actually tested it yet, however.

tarkan

tarkan
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 05-December 03
@XtremeMaC

I had the same problem with either this 
OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\000\Nforce2\AudioDrv;drivers\000\Nforce2\AudioUtl;drivers\000\Nforce2\Ethernet;drivers\000\Nforce2\GART;drivers\000\Nforce2\IDE;
drivers\000\Nforce2\MemCtl;drivers\000\Nforce2\SMBus;drivers\000\Nforce2\USB;Drivers\001\Catalyst3_7;drivers\002\TV_Tuner;drivers\003\HP3320\win2k_xp" 
edited :: wow its long i'm cutting it into two lines

WinXY adds to each listed driverspath under OemPnPDriversPath= "C:"
This is hard coded...read manual for unattended installation.
Use the $OEM$ structure and put the PnP drivers to $OEM$\$1\PnP
If the $OEM$ structure is not under the I386 folder you have to use the OemDriversPath entry in your unattend.txt or winnt.sif. This entry should point to your $OEM$ folder. If your folder is in the root => "C:\$OEM$ you have to add C: to the OemDriversPath=

This folder will be used during textmode and guimodesetup.

If you have further questions contact me via Mail and I will post more detailed information to this topic

XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC

MSFN SuperB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts
  • Joined 13-October 03
I had spelling mistake on my winnt.sif (well a (; & " & \) was a mistake)
sorry for the confusion (I've them all covered now)

@Tarkan well I actually knew those, it was always giving me an error bc of those misplaced (; & " & \).
Thanks anywayz Tarkan...
(btw its been a while since october :))

and welcome

SlimShady

SlimShady

• PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Joined 29-November 03

You boot from winpe, then run setup from the cd.  However you cannot use  my method to reduce source, since this requires winnt32.exe.

The real benefit from winpe is you have a full 32 bit OS to run in.  You also can make scripts to auto format and repartition.  You also have network access, which you don't have under dos.

-gosh

I'm getting a little bit confused :)
Can you please post a manual of everything.
With "What do I need" and "where do I get it"
Below is what I know now:
What you need:
* WinXP SP1 on CD
* Bart's PE Builder

Use Bart's PE Builder to create WinPE....
Place/install WinPE (??)...

Boot to WinPE and start the batchfile that automatically formats and contains the path to the XPSP1 folder and answerfile.

I really appreciate everything you do.

Br4tt3

Br4tt3

World famous sausage eater...

• PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Joined 20-April 04
A couple off questions.... i am confused off all this WinPE. I have been working with unattended installs (SIF) and PXE (RIS) alot... However, some1 told me abbout WinPE and I tried it out...

1. Is it possible to launch a unattended setup (SIF) setup of, lets say Windows 2003 server for example, from within WinPE? I have tried and all i get is a "out of memory" error.... I have asked the same question @ the MS newsgroups deploy section, and the answer was NO! :rolleyes:

2. And if it is not possible, what is the correct way to deploy a Windows setup from within WinPE? Is it sysprep that is used or what?

WinPE seems as a much more flexible tech, especially the disk part seems much better then the unattended / RIS possiblities....

3. and last question... where do I get the white papers, walktroughs, step by step for proceding with WinPE??? I have read the forum threads... and I am not ready for tech nitty gritty, i want to get the big picture first.... :)

However, love this already.... very n1! Think i am gonna hang out here more...
Later dudes...
Sponsored by Swedish Meat!
Tha Sausage Eater...

Please read before posting in forums: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

mbouchard

mbouchard

• PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Joined 21-April 04

1. Is it possible to launch a unattended setup (SIF) setup of, lets say Windows 2003 server for example, from within WinPE? I have tried and all i get is a "out of memory" error.... I have asked the same question @ the MS newsgroups deploy section, and the answer was NO!

I do this using unattend.txt, look in this thread for some files that I use to do this.

What I do, is format the C: drive. Xcopy the I386 folder down (goes to c:\nt\i386) then run the setup.

likuidkewl

likuidkewl

[Centos~]$

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Joined 16-September 03
You can try this method also, here:
http://www.msfn.org/...showtopic=14952
BLOG...

devil270975

devil270975

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Joined 31-July 03
I may be doing something really stupid here but... i can get PE to start the setup, and all seems to go well but then the pc reboots after the file copy stage and it then starts setup again from the beginning and i mean from the beginning so it formats my hard drive, i figured ok but the install took 50 minutes in total nowhere near the 15 minutes i was expecting and it didnt even copy over my oem folders and files, please someone tell me what i am doing wrong...

startnet.cmd
regsvr32 /s netcfgx.dll
factory -minint
netcfg -v -winpe
net start dhcp
net start nla
SET ROOT=D:\BackUp
SET XPSP1=D:\BackUp\XPSP1
SET ROOT_HF=%ROOT%\Hotfixes
xcopy "C:\Profiles\Lee\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player\*.wmdb" "%XPSP1%\$OEM$\$1\Install\" /h /k /y
xcopy "C:\Program Files\eMule\*.*" D:\BackUp\XPSP1\$OEM$\$Progs\eMule\ /h /k /y /s /e /r
:: ==================================== Creating Hotfixes.cmd =====================================

ECHO CLS >> D:\BackUp\XPSP1\$OEM$\$1\Install\Hotfixes.cmd
ECHO @ECHO OFF >> D:\BackUp\XPSP1\$OEM$\$1\Install\Hotfixes.cmd
ECHO TITLE Installing Hotfixes >> D:\BackUp\XPSP1\$OEM$\$1\Install\Hotfixes.cmd
FOR /f "usebackq delims==" %%i in (`dir /b %ROOT_HF%\Type1\*.exe`) do (if exist %ROOT_HF%\Type1\%%~ni.exe (
              echo echo Installing %%~ni.exe >> D:\BackUp\XPSP1\$OEM$\$1\Install\Hotfixes.cmd
              echo start /wait %%systemdrive%%\Install\Hotfixes\%%~ni.exe /U /O /N /Z >> D:\BackUp\XPSP1\$OEM$\$1\Install\Hotfixes.cmd

)
)
FOR /f "usebackq delims==" %%i in (`dir /b %ROOT_HF%\Type2\*.exe`) do (if exist %ROOT_HF%\Type2\%%~ni.exe (
              echo echo Installing %%~ni.exe >> D:\BackUp\XPSP1\$OEM$\$1\Install\Hotfixes.cmd
              echo start /wait %%systemdrive%%\Install\Hotfixes\%%~ni.exe /Q:A /R:N >> D:\BackUp\XPSP1\$OEM$\$1\Install\Hotfixes.cmd

)
)
echo echo Installing Q832483.exe >> D:\BackUp\XPSP1\$OEM$\$1\Install\Hotfixes.cmd
echo echo Completed >> D:\BackUp\XPSP1\$OEM$\$1\Install\Hotfixes.cmd
ECHO start /wait %%systemdrive%%\Install\Hotfixes\Qchain.exe >> D:\BackUp\XPSP1\$OEM$\$1\Install\Hotfixes.cmd
ECHO EXIT >> D:\BackUp\XPSP1\$OEM$\$1\Install\Hotfixes.cmd
ECHO.
ECHO Merging Hotfixes
XCOPY %ROOT_HF%\Type1\*.exe D:\BackUp\XPSP1\$OEM$\$1\Install\Hotfixes /Q /Y
XCOPY %ROOT_HF%\Type2\*.exe D:\BackUp\XPSP1\$OEM$\$1\Install\Hotfixes /Q /Y
XCOPY %ROOT_HF%\Special\*.exe D:\BackUp\XPSP1\$OEM$\$1\Install\Hotfixes /Q /Y

set AnswerFile=.\UNATTEND.TXT
set SetupFiles=D:\BackUp\XPSP1\I386
format c: /fs:NTFS /q /v:System /y
start %SetupFiles%\WINNT32.EXE /s:%SetupFiles% /syspart:c /tempdrive:c /unattend:%AnswerFile%

here is my unattend.txt file
;SetupMgrTag 
[Data] 
    AutoPartition=1 
    MsDosInitiated="0" 
    UnattendedInstall="Yes" 

[Unattended] 
    UnattendMode=FullUnattended 
    OemSkipEula=Yes 
    OemPreinstall=yes 
    TargetPath=WINNT 
    Repartition=yes 
    UnattendSwitch="yes" 
    WaitForReboot="No" 
    DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore 
    OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\Sound\;Drivers\Webcam;Drivers\Modem" 

[GuiUnattended] 
    AdminPassword=
    EncryptedAdminPassword=No 
    OEMSkipRegional=1 
    TimeZone=85 
    OemSkipWelcome=1 
 ProfilesDir="C:\Profiles" 

[UserData] 
    ProductID=
    FullName=
    OrgName=
    ComputerName=

[Display] 
    BitsPerPel=16 
    Xresolution=1024 
    YResolution=768 

[RegionalSettings] 
    LanguageGroup=1 
    SystemLocale=00000809 
    UserLocale=00000809 
    InputLocale=0809:00000809 

[Proxy] 
    Proxy_Enable=0 
    Use_Same_Proxy=1 

[Branding] 
    BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes 

[Components] 
    zonegames=off 
    fax=off 
    AutoUpdate=off 
 msnexplr=off 

[Identification] 
    JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP 

[Networking] 
    InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

also i noticed Gosh was running winnt32.exe from the cd, i dont have win32.exe on my pe disc did he add that manually?

likuidkewl

likuidkewl

[Centos~]$

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Joined 16-September 03
Try using diskpart first to kick off a format of the Hd then copy the files over. It would seem to me with the formatting happening at the end of the process you are negating the porgress on the first run.
BLOG...

yourtech

yourtech

• PipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Joined 17-April 04
Sup folks, :)

I'm having a problem with bartPE running my unnattend.bat ...

Now that i'm trying out BartPe and winnt32 to do an unnattended, when i run my unnattend.bat...

(previously successfull using winnt.exe via unattend.bat on a remote source via lan boot disk)

(And i've changed MsDosInitiated= to 0 now instead of 1 previously)

i now get a "Access Denied" error

(Everything else is working in barpe, and the appropriate changes were made to unnattend.bat, (which now resides on root folder of cd) and network access is working)

anyone have any ideas?
cts/rsi bites

yourtech

yourtech

• PipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Joined 17-April 04
Now I'm getting "Server does not have enough storage" error or something like that. This happens now via net use or using pe net config to map the drive to the distribution share.

any ideas anyone?
cts/rsi bites

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users