Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

proxy/file caching server

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

nodiaque

nodiaque

Code Master

• Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Joined 21-July 04
Hello everyone, I have a little question for you. I'm looking for a way to do file caching on my server. What I mean is that I download often updates from windows update to different pc, thus resulting in downloading the same file over and over. I know they exist in distribution package specially design for that but I don't feel like downloading all installation package and running them over and over (you know how much update there is). I'm aware of the bundle package some people did on the internet, I used them for my windows cd but mostly all in english and since I install both french and english...

At my work, I know they does that. We cache all file downloaded from microsoft.com so when we update another computer, the update is downloaded from the internal server and not from microsoft again. I know there is squid proxy server and apache internal proxy server, but as I remember, it's caching of webpage, ftp, rss and newsgroups, not file itself.

So if anyone have a good one file caching program that I can put on my linux server (running gentoo 2.6).

Also, I might install a web proxy as well, but it make a decade I've used such a proxy. Last time, it wasn't working very well (change web page, click reload and web page didn't change because proxy wasn't refreshing). If you know of a good one, thanks for sharing ;)
-Neo
Divide By Zero LLC
Member of the Paradox Network

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

tain

tain

Cyber Ops

• Super Moderator
  • 3,682 posts
  • Joined 24-September 05

Donator

Have you looked at Squid?