New Windows Script version

Tomalak

Hello,

a new version of Windows script has been released by Microsoft (English version only, other languages currently not available):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...d6-524e7e844d81

I guess it's not yet supported by hfslip? Its strange naming scheme ("scripten.exe") was once recognized, but the most current version 5.6.0.8831 was provided in an update with a different name, so hfslip probably has to be adapted for the new version...

Regards,

Tomalak

i checked and it is a type 1 hotfix but the file naming is weird. typical MS screwup.

also at least two (to my knowledge) prior IE7 hotfixes come with bigger versions of jscript.dll than the one included in this hotfix which is v5.7.0.16535

IE7-WindowsXP-KB933873-x86-ENU.exe and IE7-WindowsXP-KB933812-x86-ENU.exe both with v5.7.0.20550

Edited by johndoe74

It is supported with test release hfslip-70812a.cmd.

also at least two (to my knowledge) prior IE7 hotfixes come with bigger versions of jscript.dll than the one included in this hotfix which is v5.7.0.16535

IE7-WindowsXP-KB933873-x86-ENU.exe and IE7-WindowsXP-KB933812-x86-ENU.exe both with v5.7.0.20550

That might explain the errors I had in setuperr.log; I slipstreamed IE7 at the same time.

so what do we do about it ? keep it in there ? r u gonna come up with a workaround for this ? it's uncertain even which version of the file to keep. God only knows the internal working of microsoft's files (i doubt even they themselves do anymore) but this did come out later...

maybe they'll come up with an even later version of the hotfix this patch tuesday or maybe just release an IE7 compatible hotfix. d@mn them

its good for win2k. i checked and all the files here are newer than any prior hotfixes

Edited by johndoe74

I just need to test how it goes with IE6. If no errors come up, it's OK to go -- will just have to alert that it's for IE6 only. In the other case, I'll have to update HFSLIP to make a "delayed file replace".

Oy... 10 of the 11 WSH 5.7 files are just borked. Tested with Win2K+IE6 and WinXP (without IE7). Additionally, they aren't copied into DLLCACHE as a consequence.

The next test release will work around this issue but I do hope MS will fix this themselves.

BTW... The three package versions (2K/XP/2K3) are identical as far as HFSLIP is concerned.

The core files are identical. The only real difference lies in the [Version] header in the INF file that installs everything but that's of no importance because HFSLIP gives configuration INF files a new [Version] header which is OS-version independent. The update.ver file is also different but that file is completely ignored.

BTW... No luck so far getting this slipstreamed properly. A delayed file replace at T-13 causes Windows setup to complain, resulting in the files with version 5.1 to not be replaced at all. So it looks like placing the new hotfix in the HFSVCPACK_SW1 folder is the only option for now. This DOES require the correct version of scripten.exe, though.

They also withdrew WindowsXP-Windows2000-Script56-KB917344-x86-enu.exe (including the localized builds) from the Download Center. This just leaves us with the basic KB917344 hotfix for WSH 5.6 so I was afraid the Windows Update site would be updated to include the new scripten.exe on Patch Tuesday. Luckily that didn't happen. I hope that's because they are aware of the problem but I reckon it's just because it hasn't been localized yet. But least Windows Update is OK if you only slipstream the mini hotfix into WinXP, or IE6 (with SCRIPTEN.CAB) + the mini hotfix into Win2K.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked the XP files with fc - binary comparison showed no difference, so they probably changed date only :(

I didn't check W2k version though, as I don't have the pre 08-24 version so I can't compare ...

Edited by Narag

Microsoft just decided to change the date to 24 Aug for the fun of it; same hash, same digital signature.

I had reported the bad catalog problem to Microsoft. Their response was that they couldn't reproduce it and that I should give them details on how to reproduce the problem. So I told them something to the effect of, download, install, run sfc /scannow, look at the pretty errors (erm, how else would you reproduce it?!). Anyway, one of their dev leads responded today (29 Aug), saying that they are now able to reproduce the problem, that they have "figured out the problem and will release new packages shortly." So I guess they were oblivious to the problem until now? Oh well; at least it's (going to be) fixed now. :)

Edited by code65536