Defrag on XP is on the Rag

MSNwar

Slowww. Like 3 hours plus for 5G.

When I ran Win98SE I used the defrag app from WinME and that was really fast. Got that lil tip from nagbusterscom. I defraged my 5G in like 30 minutes. Now It takes 3 to 3.5 hours.

I started using Executive Software Diskeeper and it takes the same amount of time ( 3 to 3.5 hours), but does a better job.

Does anyone else experience slowww defrag on XP?

MSNwar - The FatMan

Drewadrip can you elaborate on that please.Why should we use NTFS as opposed to FAT32.What are the advantages of NTFS for the average home user? [/quote:b4a43d042e]

Ntfs is a more advanced filing system then FAT it is more secure and faster. you stumbled on just one of the many pluses when using Defrag. In simple terms it can keep a Os better/longer,allows for quicker access to files,games,and application. In the meanwhile keeping you safer for and better protected.

-drew

After taking the tests at PC Pitstop with NTFS and FAT32, my test scores were much higher when my disks were formated in FAT32, suppossedly hard drives work faster in FAT32. But in reality, I couldn't feel any speed difference and I was not willing to put up with the long defrag times so I went back to NTFS once again.

.: TiP :.

To improve your system’s performance, run the Convert command with the /Cvtarea switch. This allows the master file table (MFT), the index of all files and folders on the selected volume, to be created in a single space, rather than being fragmented. Although the Windows XP Disk Defragmenter utility can work with the MFT, it cannot move the first fragment. This limitation practically guarantees that the MFT will be fragmented, unless you follow these steps as part of the NTFS conversion:

Use the Windows XP Disk Defragmenter to defragment the drive you plan to convert and consolidate free space on the drive.

Calculate the size of the MFT to be created. The default size of the MFT equals 12.5% of the partition size. Thus, on a 10 GB partition, the MFT should be approximately 1.25 GB.

Use the Fsutil command to create a new contiguous placeholder file equal in size to the MFT you want to create. This file must be created in the root of the drive to be converted. For this example, issue the following command:

fsutil file createnew c:testfile.txt 1250000000

You can use any legal file name. For the final parameter, substitute the proper size for the placeholder file, in bytes.

Run the Convert command, using the following syntax:

convert c: /fs:ntfs /cvtarea:testfile.txt

Substitute the correct drive letter as necessary.

If necessary, restart your system to complete the conversion.

.: TiP :.

P.S. This text is from Ms Press "Windows XP Inside Out" eBook

Sup guys...I'm the newbee and my message may be a little late but here goes.

Something a tech guy told me early on in my venture into the WWW

(Wonderful World of Windows), and I'm finding it to hold true about XP. I'm using the home edition, and I find that ya gotta defrag at least once a day. I have Diskeeper 7.0 installed also, but I use XP's defrag. (Diskeeper enhances the Windows defrag)

It takes me about 15 mins for my 20 gig Maxtor and no time at all for my 15 gig (no file system on the 15)

When I had ME or 98, I was defraggin' in about 7 mins for the same drives.

Well there's my first post, hope I helped, I'm still learnin' alot

hope to learn more here. Please let me know when I F-UP on the board I'm new to forums also..

Thanx ....Strat4Play

The point of NTFS is to make the file system cluster sizes smaller so that you have to defrag less, which means less wasted space, which means the less often you have to defrag your machine. I find it amazing that you have to defrag once a day. I havent defragged my machine in over 3 months, as I am using XP now. However prior to XP, I used to defrag 98 weekly. And believe it or not, XP defrags much faster than 98, ME, or 2K, as that has been my experience, I defrag my 80 gig HDD and have noticed it is considerably faster in XP NTFS than 98 FAT32. with nearly the same amount of data.

In 98 it took me 59.5 hours to defrag 60 GIGS of data, On XP it took about 6-8 hours.

Big Booger

Welcome to the board Strat4Play.

Hey Big Booger, just mail your HD to me, I'll defrag it for you, and have it back to you in less than 9 hours, lol. Yea, I have the same prob with defrag (slowww). Today I might convert it all to NTFS and see if that makes a real difference. Originally, the HDs were NTFS, but the slowww defrag was p***ing me off, so I switched back to FAT 32 when I reformatted. Maybe thats my problem, too many formats from FAT 32 to NTFS and back. But, I gotta play! Something to do anyway.

MSNwar - The FatMan

So many women...so little time.